1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My personal thread...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Jul 7, 2005.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Really? I got Rocket broadcasts 80% of the time in Austin.

Doc- Any word on what Swift and the Rockets were up to today?

2. idrockfan

idrockfan Contributing Member

Seriously? 80% of the time? I got maybe ten games at the most of the rockets announcers last year. I am in Idaho however.

3. eman

eman Contributing Member

When they can Clyde (what's the over and under?), I hope they'll beg Murph to return.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doc,

Im old school. I miss Calvin. I don't care if he repopulated Stafford or Missouri City. He LOVES the Rockets, he was ALWAYS (unlike Clyde) a ROCKET.
    Calvin, Rudy, and Dream and the epitome of what the Rockets stand for. Passion, Hard Work, Dreamshakes.

Calvin deserves better. He's innocent!
    [​IMG]

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Last season was the most I've seen the Rockets people do the broadcast on LP since I hooked it up, 4 or 5 seasons ago. Bill and Calvin are gods, imo. I wish I could watch every game called by those two. Instead, it's too often some shills pimping their team in a truly obnoxious fashion. And you can't even get the radio broadcast over the internet. That really kills me as well. I have loved living all these years in Austin, but having to shell out well over a hundred bucks every year to watch my favorite sports team (since the death of the Oilers... the Astros have always been a close third. I still don't know jack about the Texans.) has been an absolute bummer. Something I'm willing to do. I love the Rockets. I can't believe Calvin isn't coming back. Clyde could do Coop's job. In his sleep.

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

True, True.

You know, I never knew that they threw Rudy out, I thought he abondoned us. Damn, I have to eat some crow now. I posted a long while back about how he left us. Geez, :eek:

7. harumph

harumph Member

That just sucks. I was wondering why Tim left us, during a very exciting time for a Marketer, to join the Hornets, who are a bit of a marketing nightmare.

Tim was an excellent Marketing VP who connected with his fanbase well. I would never have thought a team VP would post OFFICIALLY on any BBS, and was very impressed he did so. He even told us about jobs with the Rockets before they got officially advertised! That's total commitment to your fans, and a step above others (does our new VP Marketing post or take & answer Qs from us...).

Les needs to stop the nepotism & keep quality staff who are worth way mor eto the organisation then their salaries.

8. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Check my post I would always post cd is jvg's puppet. He just needed cd around because of his contacts i nthe league.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah, last season it seemed like i was getting like 60% rockets broadcast, but the two seasons before were horrible (and of course those were the last two with calvin and i had just come off 2 years at college where i couldn't even get league pass). it seemed like you could easily go 7 or 8 games w/o bill and calvin and maybe only get them 2 or 3 times a month. it sucked.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yep. "Never underestimate the heart of a traitor" was your sig for several months. I rode you about it for all that time and never got a response. Glad you'd listen to Doc about it even if you wouldn't listen to me. That confirmation, of what I regarded to be an obvious thing, is the most powerful thing in this thread I think. We've all known for a while that the Rockets org under Les is a stupidly disloyal organization that will only change its mind about its disloyalty on account of public outcry hurting the bottom line (see: Calvin and Turbo's way back firings), but if DR can finally get the "heart of a traitor" guy to own up, this thread's actually fresh. Thanks for it, Doc.

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

"Veal", huh? Are you hinting that we wanted to sign Brian Scalabrine? I wonder who the "waitress" could be an allusion to. Swift has been here much of the week; maybe it's something to do about him?

Darn it, Doc. Quit being so enigmatic. :mad: :D

12. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Damn, you remember that, I had forgotten about my sig.......

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Calvin is a Rocket Hero. Did the the Lakers abandon Magic Johnson or James Worthy cause they cheated on their wives?
    What about the Knicks dropping Marv Albert because he likes to bite women?
    No.

I know Calvin says lots of stupid things on his broadcast, but you can feel his passion for the Rockets, that's something you can't replace.

14. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I am slow (very slow) so here goes-

"Yeah, he's deep throat"---- (Translation- my source)
    "but for a whole other reason!"---- (Translation- It's me-JH)
    ":eek: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"-----(Translation-can't believe I said that)
    "I'll be here all week"-----(Translation-In town, cleaning out)
    "try the veal...tip your waitress on the out!"-----(Translation- I'll continue to post what I can till my next gig)
    "You've been a great audience"---- (Enjoyed broadcasting the Rockets and posting here)

OK- because I am not sharp and I misunderstand easily- Is Doc Rocket Jeff Hagedorn? or is Jeff just his source? or am I delusional?

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Same here. Couldn't stand Bullard or VC. I wish they would give Murphy another chance.

But oh well... thank goodness for NBA LP.

16. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah, it's remained somewhat unsaid, but Bull is probably a few YEARS away from becoming a good broadcaster. I love Air Bull like I love Clyde the Glide, but I am not looking forward to having to listen to either of them for an entire season.

Does anyone remember the days BEFORE Calvin?

Remember the dog-days of McCoy Maclemore and Bill Worrell? It was the WORST duo ever. Ugh, those terrible old days of Buck 'The Blade!' Johnson? We are headed back to those days of wanting to rip our own ears off during Rockets telecasts.

LES, BRING BACK MURPH!!! Show us you are not COMPLETELY out of touch with your team's most loyal fans!!!

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think Doc is just about the only non-clutch crew poster on here that can put up a new thread titled "My personal thread..." and not get flammed for it. ;)

Doc, where's the inside news on Swift and the Rockets? :)

18. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Interesting interpretation.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

thats what Clutch-cred gets you. :D

Nero, ripping ears off? that would be listening to Coop when she was allowed to talk before, during and after the games. :(
    Bull isnt that bad...he aint no Calvin thats for sure...but he and Worrell will still be better than 90% of the other guys out there.

but I want to officially go on the record here.

I WANT CALVIN BACK

comeone ROckets...dont bend over for Fox Sports...bring back the best color guy in the league. NOW!!

20. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

I was just pissed at the situation so I wanted to vent - flamed or not. I told Clutch he could move it but that I just wanted people to read it, ya know? Oh well, i was kinda mad at the time.

I can tell you this - Calvin has said all the right things but he's pissed! Calvin and I have gotten to know each other pretty well and he's always hated Les and was pissed. The thing the media is NOT reporting is that they DID ask him to come back to 'some' games but not all the games. Nobody reported that but it is an ABSOLUTE fact! He was pissed and he jut assumed look for another gig. He was also employed by the Rockets under a lady named Sara Joseph. His salary was because of those duties as well. He was always screwed by the Rockets regarding free seats, giveaway stuff, etc...he never made a BIG stink but he was pissed and just never understood why the Rockets never took care of him, Moses, Elvin with seats...anyway....

Last season, Clutch and I had a private conversation that we didn't post regarding Stromile Swift. JVG said, and I quote, "I want him here. When can get him.' From what I gathered from my 'DEEP THROAT' (NO! It's not Hagedorn! :( JVG wanted him right then but he was unable to be traded so JVG obviously did NOT know what his status was but simply said 'get him.' So, are the Rockets going to get him? :p

Also, in September or so, I'll throw in another thing about JVG that will REALLY open some eyes but I can't do it now but I promise to do it in a couple of months. It's not BIG but it is really significant in the grand scheme of what he does in the organization.

Out.