1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My personal thread...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Nero

Nero Member

What?

Anyway, I have to second the portent of DOOOOOM regarding Clyde.

We love him because of what he did on the court, but the guy has the charisma of a tree stump. If you thought Coop was painful, just wait until you are forced to listen to Clyde whuff his way through some NBA telecasts.

This was a HORRIBLE decision, in arbitrarily letting Hagedorn and Murph get away. I have no doubts that Hagedorn will be scooped up quickly, probably by the Mavs or Spurs, but Murph deserves better than this.

Yeah, he made some mistakes with women when he was younger. A lot of NBA players did the same thing. Personally I do not believe that it is worth losing his broadcasting career over.

I already got in on the phone with Rich and Mark's fill-in, and they pooh-poohed the idea that anyone is going to be upset about Murph.

We need to get on those phones and make the Rockets take notice!!!

Seriously, someone with the time and the resources needs to set up a nice website, a la when the Rockets were saved. Les has already caved once on bringing Murph back, let's make him do it again!!

2. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I agree that Hag is very talented, and Cooper was a mistake in front of the camera. However, I completely disagree with everything else that you said. Good or Bad (we will see later) the Rockets wanted to go in a different direction. Hopefully, Hag will end up doing Radio Play by Play for another team. That has been a dream for him. Before we destroy the Rockets, let's give them some time :D

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I have suspicioned this ... I kept a record of all of CD's transactions since he started, and he has been totally middle of the road. For every good transaction he makes, he follows with a terrible one. Lots of bad contracts, takes everything TOO easy. I like his down-south charm, but he often doesn't sweeten the really important potential trades that would make a huge difference (when he wouldn't throw in an unproven player to get McGrady with Toronto, or a pick with Scottie to get Oneal instead of Cato), or values his players too highly (like not trading Griffin to get Lewis), or hands our own players way too much money, (Maloney, Cato, Taylor, Anderson, etc.) so that our hands are tied down the trail, or picks or doesn't pick players in the draft to please our players (like Morris to please Stevie, or not take Lewis to please Scottie). He HAS been willing to make the big deal, which I like, although the only one that really worked out was Drexler, and he usually doesn't take into account chemistry (Scottie's attitude and Barkley not getting along with Drexler). As much as I liked Barkley and his humor, his sacrifice in salary to bring in Pippen, and the moxie it took to make the trade, it sent us down the wrong track. IMHO, we'd have been in title contention for another 4 or 5 years without the trade.

JVG has got a good understanding of chemistry, and the players who can "get it." He understands what personnel need to be around Yao to take us all the way. I think he's way too hard on players, and makes it too much about effort level, which wears his players down eventually, but I love that the ones who buy in believe in him, are loyal and respectful. When Barry said he was the best coach he'd ever played for, that was quite the amazing statement. JVG now has players that buy in to the team concept. Now, anyone that is brought in will have to buy into JVG's way, or either not come, or get traded for ones who do (like Francis). That is the greatest value of the players we traded for last year. They were veterans, and whatever younger players that now come in to replace them, will buy into hard work, team, smart play, defense, and believing they can win it all.

So, I'm encouraged that JVG is having that impact, and it explains why all the trades last year turned out so well, instead of CD's normal 50/50 record.

4. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Yeah, after a few deals everyone thought CD was god of all GM's. I was not certain about if CD had started using his head, but I knew all these deals going our way had something to do with Gollum.

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Did this really deserve its own thread?

Oh wait, it's Doc. Never mind. ;)

As always, thanks for the info, Doc. You should come by more often.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Great post Doc.

I couldn't agree more.

7. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

The world wont be right again untill Bill and Calvin are doing play by play together

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I didn't have the courage to call him out either. :p

9. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

CD was still on the bench with Rudy when we landed Clyde.. other wise I agree 100% with your post...

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Totally agree. I think everyone that was paying attention had to know JVG was the driving force behind the trades last season-- after all, Jim Jackson, who'd been nicknamed "Coach's Pet" the season before, wouldn't even talk to Van Gundy after he got traded to the Hornets.

There's no question that the moves made last season were the best and most exciting since the championship teams were built. I feel a lot better with JVG making the moves than with CD or Rudy, to be frank.

That said, it remains to be seen whether JVG will be able to turn around the Rockets' decade of attrocious drafts and if he'll be able to ween himself away from over-reliance on smart veterans on their last legs.

And oh yeah, to get back on topic... at least Bullard will only be doing HALF the games. I never really liked his style, though it's inoffensive. Still, dealing with Clyde for the home games is going the make Bull look like the wittiest basketball genius to ever grace the booth.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's BS on both accounts. I thought Hagedorn was very good at his job, and he will be missed, but I'm even more upset about Murph. He's been around so long that when I watch Rockets games with him and Bill broadcasting, I feel like I'm watching the games with my favorite uncles or something. I was crushed when those charges were brought against him, exhilarated when he was cleared of them, and am now bewildered as to why on earth he wouldn't be brought back immediately.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Doc, now that Hagedorn is gone, can you come clean? Is Hagedorn "Deep Throat"?

13. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

...shoulda never let go of Maloksy. they've yet to recover.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm also not looking forward to Drexler broadcasts. Thank god NBA LP rarely shows actual Rockets broadcasts.

15. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Yep, you are so right ... I knew that, but I was thinking about that whole series of big trades the Rockets made, not just CD's involvement. But, yes, the first big trade of CD's was the Barkley trade ... thanks for the correction. :)

16. PhiSlammaJamma

The final championship piece has been added.

17. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

League pass snob.

where's the love 'the glyde' man?

no, it's ok, it's ok. go watch your league pass. give up on the Rockets about a third of the way through like you did last season. but don't come crawling back saying, Clyde is great, and the Rockets are going all the way.

18. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Yeah, he's deep throat.....but for a whole other reason!! :eek: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....I'll be here all week...try the veal...tip your waitress on the out! You've been a great audience!!

:D

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Clyde has never been a guy with a "color" personality. He's more of the quiet guy and you really can't have a guy like that doing game commentary. I'm fine with Bullard...Hagedorn's release was kind of a shocker. Granted, he didn't really have a place anymore when Fox Sports went with their own dumbass crew, but he did what he was told to do and did a good job at it. If only Kenny Smith wasn't being PAID handsomely by TNT and didn't have this "anti-Rockets" mentality that he throws out on the air, I'd like to see him pair up with Worrell.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As much as I love Clyde and may wish it wasn't so, I am forced to agree with you here. I have seen Clyde on TV before and he is simply godawful. Mike Newlin would have made a better choice or simply giving the job to Matt full time made more sense than splitting it up like this. I loved Murphy as well but that's the way it goes in the TV biz I suppose. Of course since I watch their games on Directv, chances are I won't see much of the Rockets' crew anyhow since we usually get the other team's TV feed.