1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Judo Sensei Passed Away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 28, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My longtime Sensei Eric Shellum 7th degree black belt in judo passed away yesterday morning after a long bout with cancer. I had known this day was coming as in March of 2021 he had been only given 6 months. He well exceeded that even though he turned down chemotherapy and radiation.

He was one of the strongest men I knew. He was a rock who well into his late 60’s was still physically very strong and could beat opponents much younger than himself. Even as cancer took a toll on his body he still continued to teach Judo up until a month ago.

He was also mentally and emotionally strong facing death with both calmness and acceptance. He told me that if it was his time it would be his time and he lived a full life.

That didn’t make it easier for I or others to accept that the end was coming. It’s been painful for me to see how much his body shrunk and when he would suppress pain as he tried to show a technique. Even though knowing that this day would come didn’t make it easier when it finally came.

It’s still sad and it hurts to lose a man that I’ve tried my best to live up to and who I looked up to like a father. I only hope that when my time comes I can face it with the courage and dignity that he did.

He leaves behind two sons and a daughter along with many students who he had trained .

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Sorry about your loss. Bruce Lee I still miss to this day!

RIP

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss.

Just know that there are many brilliant people that dedicate their lives to fighting this terrible disease, and that they will continue to do so in the name of your sensei, as well as countless others.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

very sorry to hear this, sincere condolences to you and also to his family

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I like Bruce Lee but he never trained me nor do I look to him as a father figure.

“Sensei” gets loaded up with a lot of connotations but it really just means “teacher”. In this sense my Sensei was a coach who taught me a lot.

Roc Paint likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That’s true but he turned down treatment. His mom died of cancer and he saw what chemo did To her and wanted no part of it.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Like I said before sorry about your loss. Your next teacher is in the waiting. Time heals all wounds, and I hope you heal sooner rather than later

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It always reflects on the person when people post/say stuff like this when they're gone, so you've done your part in honoring him. My condolences, rocketsjudoka.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm very sorry for your loss. You've spoken about the bond between sensei and student, so I know this hurts on levels most people wouldn't understand. RIP, Sensei Shellum.

10. Two Sandwiches

Treatments have gotten better and less debilitating even in the last 5-10 years. Part of the fight that I am talking about is to make treatments more tolerable, as well as to expand treatment into other areas, beyond tradition.

I fully respect someone's decision not to pursue treatment. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all (I definitely get the quality over quantity part, if that's what someone is worried about), but I also see more and more people maintaining a decent, and longer life while undergoing treatment.

Back to the point. It sounds like this was an amazing man. May we all strive to enrich someone's life in that way! I hope you find solace in all the memories you have together. Sounds like he had a great impact on your life!

FrontRunner and rocketsjudoka like this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is a tough one. Sorry. All I can hope is you pass down his teachings that he bestowed on you, to another one, even if it's not in the teachings of judo. Just life and knowledge that made you guys bond. I think that's one of the best honorings you can give anybody.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes that’s true and had another friend who developed a brain tumor when he was 48 had surgery and chemo and is now cancer free. My Sensei told me that if he was 20 years younger he might’ve felt differently but at his age, 70, he felt that he had already lived a full life and didn’t want to prolong it by going through chemo or radiation. He wanted to be able to keep on being able to teach Judo up until he couldn’t.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thank y’all for all of the kind comments. I’m still processing this and appreciate it.

14. Two Sandwiches

Respect.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’ve been trying to pass down what he taught me but I’m not nearly the Sensei or Judoka he was.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, that's a testament to the man he was. ANY knowledge that you have learned from him, that can be passed down to another, is and will be gold. You are not him, but he is you.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

First Gene LeBell, now this guy, it's been a rough month for Judo.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

RIP to your sensei.

I'm sorry for your loss.

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

It's ok. I'll replace him.

[​IMG]

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm