1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My friend died....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RKMAN, Jul 26, 2000.

1. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Thats funny. I just downloaded Micheal Jackson's Billie Jean about 2 minutes ago. [​IMG]

If they shut it down, do I have to go out and start buying CD's? I hope not.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I am downloading stuff right now. When is it shutting down?

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

This day will live in infamy.

------------------
    Home of Rashard Lewis and the Mighty Rams - Alief Elsik

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

oh friday at midnight. wow

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

6. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

Wow. I'm outraged.. this is offically a jihad.

------------------
    i need a vacation

7. DUDE

DUDE Member

http://www.napster.org.uk/napster.htm
    Check out that site. It has a POP UP window. They have been around for awhile working on THIS new program. It should be out when Napster dies Friday. If everyone that is on Napster uses this one, then we wont skip a beat.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LOL! Jihad. [​IMG]

Not to worry... download one of the dozens of Gnutella clients available on the 'Net. I personally like Napster way better, but hey... there are several clients written by various people available. Pick one you like and download away :
    http://gnutella.wego.com

Gotta love this... Gnutella source code is being produced by an "unknown" person(s) and supposedly was reverse-engineered from the original product that Nullsoft was shipping. It was originally being produced by the people that made WinAmp (Nullsoft), but when Nullsoft was bought out by AOL, AOL pulled the plug on the application. They didn't want to get into the same legal problems that Napster was facing or have a Napster knockoff.

I'm still shocked that the ruling went the way it did, but it appears the RIAA will be one busy organization trying to chase down all these Napster-like clones especially the ones that don't operate like Napster does.

The RIAA is gonna be one busy entity trying to shut all of them down especially when some technologies such as Gnutella-based clients don't have a centralized server.

Better grab a Snickers... [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dude,

Thanks for the site... I've heard about it, but never bothered checking it out. But first... must .... get..... sleeeeeeep. [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The recording industry and Metallica can suck my ass. I do not currently have any MP3's but when school gets back in session and my ethernet card gets hooked back up, bam! Fillin up those gigs, and I'm using Gnutella this year.

What are you gonna do RIAA? Common! Try to get me! Try to bust through the my firewall! There are no servers to shut done this time. All you've done is locked the door when there's an open window next to it. Go ahead, be smug. Think you've won, we'll you've haven't changed a thing. Gnutella to the rescue.

And if you try to stop that, all you're doing is opening up a whole new can of worms. Which means I would have to open my can of whoop ass on you. The RIAA does not have enough grit to fight the privacy issues and all the lawyers backin it up if you try to take on gnutella. You may have won the battle, but this is a war, and you've just ran out of ammo.

Now that I've finished my rant, here are some facts:

Untrue, the main guy's name is Gene Kan. Two weeks ago Kan testified before the Senate Judiciary hearing on the online music issues (which was totally unproductive since all the senators know less about technology and programming than today's 7 year olds. I just think having semi ignorant 60 year olds thinking they can determine the future of intellectual property is ludicrous. Kan's 5 min rushed testimony in a monotone voice and use of jargon such as "pseudo-anonymous," "end-to-end encryption," and "intellectual-property profiteers" didn't help either).

He does a lot of interviews along with other volunteer developers. The people in the know know who runs Gnutella, it's just they can't do anything about it. All in all, I'm not that upset with the Napster shut down since Napster is a company that tried to make profits.

Oh well, that 17 yr old (the dude who created napster, oh i forgot his name) had a hell of a ride, and it ain't over yet for him.

Now everybody say, "thank you Gene Kan."

------------------
    PRO HOTTEST CHICKS FORUM!!

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The program that DUDE was talking about is called Audiognome. It's supposed to be like Napster if not better. Hopefully, all Napster users will switch over. The program will not be available for download until Friday.

The injunction against Napster is temporary. If Napster ever starts operating again, Napster will never be the same. Thanks Metallica and the other petty musicians.
    ------------------
    Home of Rashard Lewis and the Mighty Rams - Alief Elsik

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited July 27, 2000).]

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Kim,

Loved your explosion-of-a-post. [​IMG]

Regarding the "unknown" programmer(s), I was referring to the original "stealth" programmer from Nullsoft. Early in its life, the guys at wego.gnutella.com, ie, Gene Kan, were being aided by a programmer from Nullsoft who remained "nameless" and to this day is "nameless". He helped reverse-engineer the product. Gene is now stating that he no longer is in contact with that programmer because he doesn't want to get the guy fired.

But you are correct, Gene is the mastermind behind the Gnutella project going on at wego.gnutella.com. FYI, the guy's resume as well as his knowledge-base is pretty impressive for somebody that taught himself C/C++. Also has a nice taste in cars (RX7 fan). [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Shawn Fanning, and he's at the ripe old age of 20 now I believe (if I remember how to add correctly). He had his 15 minutes of fame, but he also has a ton of venture capital backing him up. It'll be interesting to see what he does with his company or with himself after this ruling. I think he's started a revolution almost to the equal of the old "browser wars" between Microsoft and Netscape.

Could these file-sharing apps be the next "killer app" as the computing industry likes to call it?

------------------
    Just shut up and post

14. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Audiognome rocks........ I grabbed a version tonight....might be a beta, but it looks to be a rather interesting replacement, for sure.

------------------

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

According to their "official" site, it hasn't been released yet, so it probably is a beta. Be careful with some of that "unknown" beta software... it may carry a viral payload or a trojan. I've had that happen to me before. [​IMG]

Can't wait to try it out myself!

------------------
    Just shut up and post