1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Shouldn’t Even be a Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Mar 1, 2019.

1. SuraGotMadHops

Of course this is all stupid, the NBA is a fraud, just look at how Game 6 was officiated last year. The media phonies pick their boy they want to push early on, and adjust the metric for what constitutes an MVP based on that. Two years ago when Russ was their golden boy, record didn't matter, but individual stats did. Now, record is the end all be all. Harden should have 3 MVPs in a row after this season.

2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It’s a team sport. I want a championship, not an MVP award.

But the MVP race is good for one thing: motivation. If Harden is going to get screwed out of MVP again, I want that to be leaked BEFORE the playoffs, so he — and the whole team — plays with extra fire.

lilbird20, Y2JT, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  3. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Great find...
    Great Find...so basically the Bucks have had the easiest schedule in the NBA this year? Why is the fact they have the best record in the league even a factor? :eek:

mikol13 and fckbandwagons like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

I hope it gets leaked out that Giannis won, Harden goes into his Hakeem mode for the playoffs and we beat Bucks in the finals. Later on during the awards Harden gets called up for MVP as a shock, realizing the leak was false

mikol13 likes this.
  5. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

You'd risk implying that Harden should be deemed the new Best Player in the World and, therefore, does not qualify for MVP... cuz Lebron ref. 2016-2018.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The MVP is not about using nuance and context to come to a conclusion.

It's about media members cherry-picking stats to justify their pre-made conclusion.

Houstunna, Huncho Bean, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Chris Broussard, Vincent Goodwill, Reggie Miller, 3 votes are gone now for sure.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Seriously I think if its leaked prior to the playoffs or during the first round it can really be something the entire team gels around. Not that I feel a team needs more motivation than what they already have but it seems like all the guys really want James to win it because they know the rarity and difficulty of what he did this season.

Realistically too because it is a team game its still going to be a super up hill climb against GS (esp w/o HC this year) the Warriors are still HEAVY favorites to win the title. I think the last I saw oddsharks had them at -210. I've never seen vegas have the money line be negative for a team to win a title until these Warriors came along.

lilbird20 and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

I feel like Broussard can flip on a dime...in January Harden was his MVP, now it’s Giannis

if Harden drops 40 or even 50 tonight and the Rockets win, he might flip

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Yup, I knew it. I could've sworn every single time when I look at the bucks opponent on their schedule they playing a team below .500.

luckyman76 and J Sizzle like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

majority of Harden supporters have no vote...reminds me of 2017

Deuce likes this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you look at the guys on that list who actually have votes, they're almost all on team Giannis. Team Harden is full of the guys who don't.

J Sizzle likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

One of the biggest factors is the "echo chamber" combined with "influencers."

You get Zach Lowe, who you know is voting for Giannis, to make that known.....it just trickles down and gets into the echo chamber.

slothy420 likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The other wrinkle is that Silver/NBA might be dying to finally hand the MVP trophy to someone in the East. The East hasn't had an MVP winner since LeBron in 2012-2013. Handing the trophy to Giannis could/would start a narrative of "The Eastern Conference teams are still great without LeBron! Parity lives!" with the TV talking heads.

17. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

They definitely wouldn't be top 2. Don't forget, they've been lucky they've had a healthy squad for the most part.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Journal Sentinel recently took an informal straw poll of 25 media members outside Milwaukee who cover the NBA and were among the 100 voters for last season's league awards. Each was prompted to provide their MVP with 13 choosing Antetokounmpo, 10 voting for Harden and two saying the race was too close to call at this point.

That sample, while interesting, may not necessarily be indicative of how the actual vote will go. Most indicated they are very much on the fence, only leaning in a particular direction and willing to go the other way upon deeper consideration or new developments over the final eight games of the season. Some may not be part of this year's voting bloc – a group that has not yet been assembled by the NBA – due to personal preference or job change.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

ESPN's The Jump and Rachel Nichols have a whole segment on why Harden shouldn't be the MVP. Then Fat-ass Windhorse-face is there with graphics to support. Punk-ass Stephen Jackson and failed Coach and husband, Jason Kidd continuing the propaganda!!

WOW, what a segment of Dick-riding Giannis! No one came up for air.. f-cking sloppy. gross.

Man, I hope the Rockets can get a win tonight.

#399 DreamShook, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    slothy420 and Reeko like this.
  20. RetroRockets

RetroRockets Member

if the nba was run like the mlb, harden has at least 2 mvps easily by now, and this year would be his 3rd