1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Shouldn’t Even be a Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Mar 1, 2019.

1. RetroRockets

RetroRockets Member

so i dont understand vegas math, do those numbers mean harden is close to winning mvp

2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

How in the ever-loving f$%I can Harden's performance after the ASG make you like his MVP case less?

A$$-clown: in fact, a flatulent anus would have more interesting and intelligent things to say than that guy.

Edit: I hope he buries them; I hope he goes all Dream vs the Admiral on that team. Make it so the blind will even realize that Harden is the best player in the league this year.

3. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

I think the only chance harden have on winning the MVP is he needs to get his ppg to 37.2 ppg....
    The only reason why he won it last year was because he had the best stats and the best record.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

-200 Means you have to bet $200 to win $100 on Giannis. ($200 bet payout is $300)
    +175 Means a $100 bet wins $175 on Harden ($100 bet payout is $275)

In horse track odds it’s

Giannis is the 1 to 2 favorite
    Harden is behind at 1.75 to 1 odds

5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Media hates James. The NBA hates James. A lot of fans hate James. I don't expect him to win MVP

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

7. Drogba

Drogba Member

Harden has no chance. Media shamelessly tried to insert LeBron in the conversation last season. Giannis is a media darling like LeBron.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Giannis Antetokounmpo 'Definitely Trying To Avoid' MVP Debate

Giannis Antetokounmpo said he is trying not to think about the MVP race between him and James Harden in the buildup to the Milwaukee Bucks hosting the Houston Rockets on Tuesday night.

“I’m definitely trying to avoid it, I don’t want to think about it. I just want to do my job. We’ve got eight games left. Trying to get better, trying to improve and trying to play basketball at a high level and everything’s going to take care of itself," said Antetokounmpo.

He added that his only goal was to keep improving.

"My thought process on all of that is just to get better. That’s never going to change; I don’t care if we’re playing in the Finals or me being the MVP or whatever. It’s never going to change. It’s always about getting better. It’s worked so far, so I know it’s going to work.”

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

PJ Tucker will defend Giannis tomorrow and give him the business.

He’s got Harden’s back!

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Chris Broussard says will vote for Giannis. He has a vote

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Giannis is like the stock market: irrationally overblown.
    We Americans don't even care about the truth.

13. jowman

jowman Member

Rockets gotta take advantage and stomp on these posers tonight.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

funny how all these harlots are already coming out and declaring NeverHarden before the season's even over

15. MystikArkitect

If the Bucks played in the West what would their record be?

Since that matters this year who’s the best player on the best G League team? Let’s throw him into the MVP race.

16. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

it sucks but it's starting to look like Harden isn't going to win the MVP. People just hate Harden because they think he cheats the game, and when that gets rebutted, he sucks at defense. Just too many narratives against Harden. If Lebron had this type of season, it would be unanimous landslide.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Was a Westbrook voter in 2017, so gotta love the consistency.

4 Top 2 finishes in 5 years is going to be a damn good legacy builder for Harden. It's a shame he's at the mercy of goal post moving, but it is what it is.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Broussard is a joke

The Anti-Harden campaign is in full effect right now.

after dropping 57 and then 61 B2B against the Spurs, they’re still talking about how Giannis is the MVP...the lie detector test determined that was a lie...deep down they know who the real MVP is

slothy420 and luckyman76 like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Do you agree Giannis should be the favorite?

Chris Brousssard: I do. I am a voter. This is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make with the MVP award. I tend to have 4 criteria: individual numbers, team success, supporting cast & historical significance.

Steve Nash was in the running for 3 straight. He won 2. I remember his agent calling me, trying to get me to vote for him for 3rd straight. He's right there but I can't put him there with Larry Bird & Magic. There was only a couple that won 3 straight. I take that into consideration.

When I look at individual numbers, we got Harden's offensive numbers but we got Giannis' too. 27 points, 12.5 rebounds, 6 assists. Only other player to ever do that was Oscar Robertson once. While not averaging 36 like Harden, his numbers are just as significant historically. When I take into account defense, Giannis is 2nd in defensive rating, 1st in defensive win shares. Harden is 68th in defensive rating, which I was surprised. (Skip: I thought he'd be higher.) Really? He's gotten better but still not much of a defender. Then 145th in win shares. When I factor in defense, I give Giannis the individual numbers.

Then the team success. Obviously you gotta go with Milwaukee. Best record in the league. Only team top 5 in O/D rating. Best road record. Best point differential. They had a huge jump. They went from the 16th best record last year with essentially the same players to the best record. So I have Giannis on that one.

Supporting cast, you can argue Chris Paul missed 20 games, Capela 15, Gordon 10. Giannis has Khris Middleton who was an all-star but not a perennial all-star. He's not a star. I think that's a wash. CP3 when he's there is CP3. Capela was playing at an all-star level.

Historical significance, I'll give Harden that one.

Here's the final straw right now: people are giving Harden points for saving the Rockets. They were falling apart! 4-7, 11-14, then 13-14 when he took off with the 30 point streak. Should we punish Giannis because he never let his team fall into a hole? It's the MVP for the entire season. Giannis & the Bucks have been great the entire 5/6 months. Houston was bad for 2 months. Harden was there. Chris Paul was there. Clint Capela was there. Chris Paul was there when they were struggling. Why were they struggling for 2 months? I'm not going to reward him because he carried them for 3/5 months when Giannis has carried his for 5/5 months.

Shannon: I got James Harden. Let's go back to historic streaks. When Jordan averaged 37, he averaged 5.2 rebounds, 4.6 assists. [Harden is] 4 assists better. He's 2 rebounds clear. Same with Kobe. 35/5/4. He's clear. What he's doing, if Middleton missed 20 games & Brogdon missed 17 games and Lopez missed another 12, and Giannis got the same numbers & still number one...

Broussard: Brogdon is gonna miss that many by the end of the year.

Shannon: I need that early. CP3 is here now. Clint is here now. Budenholzer is gonna be Coach of the Year. Harden scoring these points, it's not like they're winning by 25. They're winning by one, by three. He has 6 games of 57 or more points. Durant has no such games. Curry has no such games. Shaq got one. Bird got one. Do you realize what we're actually watching? He has to do this. If he doesn't score these 30 points a night, they're losing. I still don't know how he does it. Like how? What he's doing,...I get it, Giannis 27/12/6 is unbelievable. Jordan had the biggest discrepancy as far as points to the next closest guy at 8.1. Harden is 8.2 over Paul George. For me, and I wasn't the biggest James Harden fan, but it's hard for me to believe that someone else can be MVP after what I've seen.

Skip: I agree with Miami Vice over there(Shannon). Sorry Mr. Broussard, I have to agree with Shannon.

Maybe I got too caught up with what I watched Friday night. I watched every dribble of my Spurs at James Harden. I've never seen anything like it. You can say it's just one game but he's been doing it the whole year. He's operating on an offensive level I've never seen before this side of Wilt or Michael but Michael would get them so differently. This guy is doing it from places we've never seen before. These are the Spurs. They play good defense this year. Derrick White has evolved into one of the best perimeter defenders. He couldn't stay with him. Then DeRozan's on him and I'm saying, 'That's it, I got no shot on this one.'

He's gonna stick it from three. It's such a sweet stroke. It's so effortless. It's from distance. Just a flick of the wrist. 37% from three, taking the most threes in the league. He's 88% from the line. I admire that greatly because they're called FREE throws and he makes a whole bunch of them.

The refs love him in ways that I've never seen refs love anyone. He gets everything including the worst call in the history of sports(except for the non-call in the Saints/Rams game). Spurs up 6, DeRozan goes up for a shot and Harden flops and they give it to him. They gave him an offensive foul & wiped out the basket. You know what? That's the MVP because the refs have bought into Harden at this point. He gets every call because they think he's earned every call.

The display of getting to the basket, I've never seen such slither to the basket. He looks like he's in slow motion, snaking through the lane. He doesn't dunk it and just lays it in. Now he has a floater. He's a wizard with the ball in his hands. If you want new vs. same ol', you gotta go Giannis. He's the new flavor.

CB: Agree with everything you said. My vote is due in April. I'm reserving right. If Harden wins it, I won't be mad. It can be either or but Harden has the spectacular moments. The 60/50 point games, the streak but when you look at the steadiness of it, ...Giannis doesn't have those moments. What about the other end of the floor?

Skip: James is averaging 2 steals a game. He has long arms, great hands, vision & anticipation. He's just getting his hands on the basketball on defense. I'm not saying he's a great on-ball defender.

CB: He's become a better defender but steals aren't really a sign of great defense. Giannis could be DPOY. They have the best defense in the league. He's the anchor. I think we're taking it for granted. It's close but I'd give it to Giannis.

Shannon: If James Harden only played 3 quarters and didn't play at all in the 4th, he'd be the 2nd leading scorer in the NBA.

CB: It's more than just scoring. His usage rate is through the roof.

Shannon: What about assists?

CB: That's part of the usage rate being through the roof. He gets to make every play. We brought up Budenholzer. D'Antoni, if you put some other people in this offense with D'Antoni. Put Steph in that offense. Put Durant in there.

s3ts likes this.
  20. BigTex

BigTex Member

Bucks played the bottom 5 teams something like 18 times. 18 layup games. 22% of their games.

Cavs. Bulls. Knicks. Hawks. Suns. (Cavs & Bulls in same division)

Rockets only get to play them 11 times. 13% of games.

slothy420 and mikol13 like this.