1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslim man threatens jihad over Burger King package design

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Sep 18, 2005.

1. droxford

droxford Member

I'm going to sue you.

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

You can't.....unless you get the admins. to delete the disclaimer with no trace. I knew I should have posted the disclaimer before the joke. DAMN IT!!!!! :D

3. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

And I personally know five or six bleeding Rockets that are offended by our NBA teams logo.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Who said I was upset? I just think it's r****ded that one guy comes out with a supposed issue with a packaging that he knows is Western while threatening "jihad" and then some Islamic council gets involved. Like I said, he don't like it...don't buy it. Now, the red cross logo in the other thread? What else? I don't like the fact that women wear burkas in Islamic countries. It offends me to not be able to see someone's face but do they care? No. Why should I care what as Islamic person cares about Western packaging? If they didn't design the package with malicious intent, then it shouldn't be taken to be so.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

There is a hugge difference in comparing the practices of a business and the personal choices a person makes.

For example, if Nike made shoes with the swastika, more than likely, many jewish customers would be offended and would make some noise and not buy those shoes, whereas the whole concept for nike might have been to just get the hindu population to by nike's...

Now if a person in germany walked around wiht a swastika charm on his big silver chain, there isnt a thing you or me could do about it.

Just like that, women wearing Islamic clothing is a personal choice made, and Im pretty sure you have no right to tell somone what not to wear.

But Corporations and Businesses fear getting themselves negative media attention, and hence listen to the uproar of people who dont like certain practices.

Basically by claiming that this guy is a moron by raising his opinion and voicing his concerns, people are showing that they too are not tolerant to other his views, which in all possibility might have offended him...

something similar, iin the middle 90's a brand of nike airs was banned from the middle east, and removed from nike's production because its sole contained the swoosh mark with the words air in lowercased letters... this logo seemed to be read as allah, and many muslims were upset that nike had put allah on the bottom of their shoes, and hence it was removed.

6. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Just so everyone can see ...here's a comparison picture

[​IMG]

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Mmmmmmmm, chocolate Allah.

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Wow, spittin' image.

9. halfbreed

From the article:

Maybe because it freakin' looks like a swirl. I mean this isn't like those optical illusions they show you in elementary school where if you look long enough you can see an old lady or a young one...its a swirl of ice cream.

10. Surfguy

Islamic women wearing a burka is a personal choice? I guess it depends on which Muslim men you ask. The Taliban would differ with you on that. Maybe in Saudi. I get your point, though, and I agree with it even if I don't agree that all Islamic women have that choice without repurcussions.

I still think this is completely taken out of context by one man and is silly. I don't see much of a resemblance. I think some people look at something and read too much into it.

It's okay, though. I won't eat at BK ever again. Their angus burger offends my stomach. lol

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

This just in:

Due to the recent Burger King cone fiasco, the federal government is now banning the cursive version of the letter "W" as well as the Trident (three pronged pitchfork-like weapon wielded by Poseidon) across the country.

Elsewhere, hearings begin on whether or not the number 3 is also a violation (when turned on its side).

12. Chance

[​IMG]

no, no. I can see it.

Kinda.

Actually, not so much.

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

actually many women who wear the burqa do it so by their own choice, one of the few places where it was enforced was in the taliban regime.

I dont know how the actions of one group seem to have embedded into people's minds that this is the common practice.

Even the women in america that wear burqa/niqab do it totally due to their beliefs, and not because they are being forced to do so.

and yes ,the angus burger sucks, heck it smells like ****.

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

if you can read arabic, the image does look quite alot like the word "allah" in arrabic.

you think thats way off, check out the nike sneakers i was talkin about with allah on their soles

[​IMG]

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I guess there are just too many idiots in this world, the human race is doomed!

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Those Nike "Air-abics" are sweet......

17. Surfguy

Hmm...maybe it was all that press coverage after 9/11. I didn't say it was common practice but you also cannot discount the fact that some women will get the crap beat out of them by their husbands if their going outside without a burka on.

18. halfbreed

Not according to this arabic speaker:

http://muttawa.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_muttawa_archive.html#112699536701798013

Now Arabic is a handwritten rather than a typewritten language, and calligraphy is an art-form in itself that can produce many beautiful and stylish variants, so I've found a variant that most closely matches our ice-cream top.

...[here on the website he has another picture of the word for Allah]...

But it's still not a close resemblance, in particular because that first letter, that down-stroke on the right, the first letter in the Arabic alphabet, known as "Alef", is never joined up with the second letter from the right, the "Lam". You can see in both calligraphy examples, (and it applies to all the others), that they are separate, whilst on the ice-cream top, they are joined.

So it would have to be a very myopic or semi-literate or indeed dyslexic Arabic reader to confuse the two, rather than recognize on the ice-cream top what is fairly obviously the spiral shape of an ice-cream cone, lying on its side.

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Somebody being offended based on their religion, what else is new? Let me throw another Harry Potter book on this bonfire and we can all sit around and talk about it.

20. Chance

Dude, Harry Pooter is not even Arabic. I think he's English or something.