1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslim man threatens jihad over Burger King package design

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Sep 18, 2005.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1951292005

Burger King recalls 'sacrilegious' desserts

JOHN INNES

THE fast-food chain, Burger King, is withdrawing its ice-cream cones after the lid of the dessert offended a Muslim.

The man claimed the design resembled the Arabic inscription for Allah, and branded it sacrilegious, threatening a "jihad".

The chain is being forced to spend thousands of pounds redesigning the lid with backing from The Muslim Council of Britain. It apologised and said: "The design simply represents a spinning ice-cream cone."

The offending lid was spotted in a branch in Park Royal last week by business development manager Rashad Akhtar, 27, of High Wycombe.

He was not satisfied by the decision to withdraw the cones and has called on Muslims to boycott Burger King. He said: "This is my jihad. How can you say it is a spinning swirl? If you spin it one way to the right you are offending Muslims."

A Muslim Council spokesman said: "We commend the sensitive and prompt action that Burger King has taken."

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

lol

i guess he can struggle over burger king all he wants

after all we know what jihads real arabic meaning is

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

see, if i was in the adverstising department of b.k. i would produce a commercial w/ salmon rushdie eating the ice cream.

4. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

This reminds me of when some African-American groups were boycotting Snapple because they said the ships on the label were slave ships and the "K" in the circle meant "KKK".

Of course the sailing ships was an image of the Boston Tea Party and the "K" was for kosher.

For my own part I'm planning a boycott of Kraft for "Cheese Nips" since "Nips" was a derogatory name for Japanese and most Asians are lactose intolerant so clearly Cheese Nips is deliberately meant to offend Asians. ;)

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The King is Kreepy yo.

Proly Jesus, the Buddha and the M-dog from Islam will have to team up to take down his Kreepy ass.

6. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

They can threaten Jihad all they want but there is NO WAY they are gonna catch the King. He's got MAD moves and his endzone dance is the bombizzle.

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

LOL! That's a funny one! :D

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

confusing. . . but interesting

Rocket River

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Bah, I'm more mad at the conservative "Christians" that says Magic cards are even and banned them from schools. That was total B.S. and nearly killed a game that could've being even bigger.

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i saw that commercial last night during pearl harbor. i was wondering if that was intentional or not.

* i wasnt actually watching that piece of garbage, but there was a commercial during the simpsons.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

lol
    I don't know why . . but that sh*t is funny

Rocket River
    he does have that demented Carrot Top type scariness going on

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Is there anything Muslims don't find offensive?

Muslims have to understand that there are cultural differences in the world and not every single little thing is going to swing in their favor. I just don't get why everyone should bend over backwards on something so trivial. If the Muslim in question doesn't like it(even though it has nothing to do with Islam), then don't eat at Burger King. It's a swirly cone design meant to make fun of the prophet. Yea, that's the ticket. :rolleyes:

#13 Surfguy, Sep 19, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    ALL YOUR ICE CREAM CONES ARE BELONG TO US!

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

How is this different from Freedom Fries? Sean Hannity is a big part of that movement. Didn't he also want to ban Dixie Chicks?

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

This is one guy with a bug up his posterior not a whole religion.

17. droxford

droxford Member

Yesterday, I saw a cloud that was in the shape of a bull.

I plan to sue the U.S. government for failing to take action to prevent pagan images from floating across the sky where millions of people can see them.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

No one is asking everyone to bend over backwards, what is trivial to you, may be the sole purpose of living for another.

A person is just asking that a corporation take better care in its design of a product or else everyone will boycott it. If burger king dont have a problem with this and tehy have changed their ways, why the hell are you so upset?

19. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

This just in: Houston Texans are recalling all licensed merchandise and changing their uniforms because an Indian American was offended by the logo. The logo depicts a longhorn, of the cow family, with a star. Evidently, the star would seem to represent that the cow has been punched in the eye, and cows are sacred in India. Details at 10.

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Disclaimer: My previoius post was meant to be funny. It is not meant to offend. This in no way reflects the ideas or opinions of the author ot his constituents. Thank you.