1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslim Extremists threaten to kill female American journalist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 18, 2006.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Killing an innocent female journalist is truly sickening. :mad:

Here's the CNN story:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/18/iraq.journalist/index.html

Below is a moving story from somebody who used to work with her:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/think_tank_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001846360

Jan. 17, 2006

Young reporter's ordeal strikes close to home

By Brooks Boliek
    WASHINGTON -- Sometimes life just doesn't follow the script. It would be nice if the world were arranged so that every story has a Hollywood ending, but they don't. This is one of those stories.

Jill Carroll, a young journalist, came to Washington and went to work for States News Service. States was a great low-rent outfit that served as a boot camp for Washington. It didn't pay much, but it gave a lot of people a way to break in. While it eventually went under, there's still a bunch of us that got our D.C. start there.

If it weren't for States, I wouldn't have this job. When I went to work here, we hired States to back me up. Jill was one of "my guys." I went through a few of them.

The last time I saw her was at the corner of K Street and Connecticut Ave. She told me she was moving to Jordan to be a freelance writer in the Middle East. I can't remember if that was before or after 9-11, but the Middle East is a dicey place no matter what.

I found out just how dicey this week as I stared hard at Jill's picture in the Washington Post. She had been kidnapped in Baghdad, presumably by Muslim extremists. Being the first woman reporter kidnapped in Iraq is a distinction no one would want, but she's got it.

The Post story sounded like she'd been set up. I have to admit, I didn't recognize her as one of "my guys" until a colleague asked me if that was her. Then a flood of memories cascaded over me.

I hadn't talked her in quite a while. People usually worked at States for a year or two, then went on to bigger and better things, or went home. I would try and buy "my guys" lunch every month or so -- that way they'd get at least one good meal and not just live on a diet of street-vendor hot dogs and Ramen noodles.

Jill was one of my favorites. She was young and eager. She was in love with the profession. She was also something so many young journalist wannabees aren't. Jill was a digger. She went out and mined information. I liked that. The fact she was a nice gal was a plus. People liked her.

I recommended her for an entry-level job at the Wall Street Journal, and they hired her. This is where her career was supposed to take off, but things didn't work out. She moved to the Middle East and into history.

It seems like everyone wants to b**** about journalists. We get attacked for finding out information that often no one wants people to know. The revelations that the U.S. ran a foreign Gulag and tapped telephone calls without a warrant come to mind. Journalists in the war zone get attacked for telling us how rotten things are over there. They're often derided for doing their jobs.

Just like the U.S. military, the journalists are volunteers. Media companies don't usually say, "You. Go to Iraq." For whatever reasons, journalists want to go. Sometimes they are grizzled veterans, but more often they are young people like the 28-year-old Carroll. She spoke Arabic and, according to her driver, said she felt "comfortable" in Iraq.

The war comes home in many ways. It comes home in tearful reunions as servicemen and women return. It also comes through Andrews Air Force Base in flag-draped coffins, and in military hospitals like Walter Reed. It also comes home in stories like Jill's.

Of course Jill's story's not done. It looks dark now as I write this, but I'm an optimist by nature. I only became a cynic for professional reasons. I hope she comes out of this. I want her to write a great story. I want to bump into her again at the corner of K and Connecticut. Maybe this time she'll be able to take me to lunch.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm surprised by this - giving in to terrorist demands...

Iraq detainees to be freed early

Iraq's ministry of justice has told the BBC that six of the eight women being held by coalition forces in Iraq are to be released early.

The six will be freed because there is insufficient evidence to charge them, a justice ministry spokesman said.

The US forces have refused to confirm the releases, but say they would not be based on any operational activities.

The group holding US journalist Jill Carroll has said she will die unless all Iraqi women prisoners are freed.

full article

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised as well. I hope the young woman is released, although giving in to blackmail isn't a good idea. Perhaps the ones released didn't have strong evidence against them.

I hope she survives this.

[​IMG]

Keep D&D Civil.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

pretty sad. hope she gets out with no harm done.

but bigtexx, I have a question, does it make it that much worse that the hostage is a female?

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The killing of any human being by another human being is truly sickening. :cool:

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Isn't that part of the world famous for rapes, especially of those in captive?

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

hmm, remind me again what the rape rate in those countries is vs over here?

and where exactly did you get that the captive females (if any) in that area are ever raped?
    -----
    yes, any female getting kidnapped is horrible, but with what we preach equality all the time, in almost every aspect, would it not be unequal to feel worse for a woman captive than a male...

And just to make my position clear, i find it horrible and much worse anytime a woman is caught in any such tragedies, much worse than if it was a man, but then again, i would also be very much against letting women (soldiers and journalists or any other female) in an area of war...

8. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that I heard the six who are being released were scheduled for release very, very shortly anyway, so this isn't really "negotiating with terrorists" and that's why there are still two female prisoners who are being held.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I suspect anywhere women are held captive, there's a decent chance rape will happen. Probably less of a chance here than most places though.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

From the previous hostages that were caught and released, non of them ever accused their captors of rape. Not sure what you're basing that on.

Also, rape is much more of an issue in a warzone, you could clearly see that during the civil war in the former Yugoslavia, when countless Bosnian women were raped and intentionally impregnated by Serbian soldiers; it was a psychop campaign to demoralize the 'enemy'.

However, I am yet to hear of an Al-Qaida or insurgent group in Iraq that raped female captors; they don't strike me as people who would be interested in that, they probably just behead them and get it over with. You also can't discount the fact that many of these guys are probably religious extremists to begin with, which means they likely won't have extramarital or premarital sex.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I may not have worded it well and certainly didn't explain it to any degree, but I think we're in agreement. I do think it would be foolish to say she wouldn't be raped because it seems to me that rape depends so much on the individual personality of the guy or small group and we don't know much about the folks who are holding her. Again, though, I think the chances of rape are not as great in this situation as they would be in just about every other place on the globe.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I bet the constant thought of rape on top of eventual death is equally terrifying for most women captives.

Our soldiers broke some men in Abu Gharib with sexual humiliation as one of many techniques.

Sometimes it's not just the horrible action alone.

13. bigtexxx

tick tock....tick tock... :(

It looks like American Muslims are going over there to convince their Muslim brothers to not kill her. This is good news, hopefully.

http://www.zaman.com/?bl=hotnews&alt=&trh=20060119&hn=28802

American Muslims Working for Release of Carroll
    By Anadolu News Agency (aa), Wasington
    Published: Thursday, January 19, 2006
    zaman.com

The Committee for American Islamic Relations (CAIR) consisting of American Muslims has initiated a move for the release of Jill Carroll, a reporter for the Christian Science Monitor, who was kidnapped in Iraq recently.

A CAIR delegation is on its way to Iraq, read a statement issued by the organization.

The delegation will hold a news conference in the Iraqi capital that will be broadcast on Arab television; and they also will try to convince Carroll’s kidnappers to release her.

CAIR Managing Director Nihad Awad said they are taking this step on behalf of the American-Muslim society and hoping their voice will be heard and the requests met.

Carroll was abducted on January 7 in Baghdad.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Loaded post -beware- bigtexxx desperate to start a bbs riot at the expense of a young woman.

Don't take the bait.

15. bigtexxx

:confused: I posted something positive about American Muslims. You're reading too much into my posts, brah

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

many muslims volunteered to go to iraq to negotiate the release of some Britishers that were kidnapped a few weeks ago. Its not a new thing. But im glad they are doing it...

Hopefully teach them kidnappers some islamic ettiquette.

17. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

What if a female Muslim journalist were detained by C.I.A.?

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Haven't watched TV news for days, how is the media coverage on Jill Carroll's abduction in Iraq? Too bad she isn't a blonde or your typical girl-next-door type. Worse yet, she doesn't work for Wall Street Journal or MSM. Christian Sciece Monitor, huh?

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

How is that a loaded post? And how is he trying to start a BBS riot!? He simply said he hoped that Muslims over here are trying to convince the Muslims who are holding her hostage not to kill her. For the people who are ripping a poster for suggesting rape, you have to deal with the fact that rape is ALWAYS a possibility. If someone breaks into a woman's house and takes her hostage, don't you think that rape is an issue? What makes this situation any different?

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If the C.I.A, were threatening to kill her if Muslims wouldn't give in to their demands then it would be an issue. But I don't see the C.I.A. detaining a female Muslim journalist and threatening to rape or kill her.