1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslim extremists threaten journos in Bangladesh

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Sep 19, 2005.

1. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

Read my response to you in the thread entitled, "Why do we tolerate Muslim intolerance?" I think I do an adequate job of explaining exactly how I feel.

2. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

So you post dribble like this and wonder why some of us question your support of the troops?

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Hmm...I know the intended meaning of some things are lost on people on a message board, but do you honestly think that was a serious post? I was merely mocking gwayneco.

As for my support of the troops, I don't need to convince you of anything, your opinion about me means next to nothing. However, suffice it to say that in my life I have done a LOT more to 'support the troops' and keep you and this country safe, so that's all I am going to say.

4. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

It was a mocking tone...I got that. However, implied in your joking reply was a message that all of the soldiers in Iraq are flag waving conservative racists, which seems to me to be demeaning the troops at the very least.

I'm not saying you need to convince anyone of anything. What I am saying is that you have to understand that if you make accusations such as the one in your post that some people will take that as a knock against the men and women overseas regardless of whether or not you have served before.

5. tigermission1

Nope, that wasn't an implication I intended to make. Sorry if it came across as such, but I know myself pretty well and am confident of my 'feelings' about the military. I also know for a 'fact' that there are some racists/zealots in the military, much like there are all across our society.

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

So i heard bangladesh has some good food.

7. tigermission1

OK, explain to me again what's the difference between Pakistani food, Indian food, and what people in Bangladesh eat?

8. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

Bangladeshi food is great. I had biryani a few times (it was rice mixed with spicy goat meat) and that was some of the best food I have ever had. There is also this friend flat bread that Bangladeshi people eat that is very tasty as well. Just don't eat the fish (if you are American). The reason I say that is from my experiences with Bangladeshi fish, they are all extremely bony.

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Ive had bangladeshi food like once, but it was plain home cooked food. nothing special.

And Indian/Paki food is the same, just different names.
    they use some different spices and change the amount of salt etc in their stuff, but overall both have great food... biryani, haleem, nehari, kheema, chicken jalfrezi, etc are all typical desi(indo/pak) food

now the south indian food on the other hand is an original indian item... stuff like idli/vara/dosa/ etc you wont find in pakistan.

10. tigermission1

Most Pakistanis would disagree with you. There is one BIG difference: Halal meat ;)

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

well in the big HYD, we get halal meat too ;)
    considering most of the muslims are the ones who cut the meat in india, since hindus generally dont eat meat... its the same :p

12. tigermission1

Interesting point, and seems true when you think about it :D

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Terrorism sucks, and it sure seems to be prevelant these days, specifically in the hard core Islamic groups.

Why is that? If Islam is as peaceful as everyone professes, then why is most of the world's terrorists doing it in the name of Allah?

What do these guys have against free press, and educating the people?

DD

14. tigermission1

Muslims are supposed to be peaceful ONLY when not threatened/attacked, but when they are attacked or oppressed or killed (which is what's happening everywhere in the world today) they are to become vicious warriors until their enemy relents.

So in self-defense, no, Muslims are not supposed to be peaceful.

So again, understand the 'context' and you will see why. People don't just lash out for 'fun', there has to be a reason as to why.

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

that darn free press, its exactly why free press organizations like al jazeera also get attacked by terrorists.

and thats exactly why al azhar institute in egypt, jordan university, all the big colleges in uae and saudi get bombed by terrorists...

16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Osama HAS a 'context' for his actions. That doesn't mean his actions are right, or that his perception of the situation is reasonable, true, acceptable - whatever.

17. DaDakota

But what are the good Islamic people doing to root out these terrorists?

Until the terrorists are outcasts in their own countries and not supported through fear or lack of action, there will be major problems.

DD

18. tigermission1

Absolutely, I fully agree. My argument wasn't about whether his actions are right or wrong (ie acceptable), but rather I wanted to explain this small fact that seems lost on some people who either are simply ignorant of the facts/reality in that part of the world or simply 'don't wanna hear it' and prefer not to know or care.

My whole contention is that politics doesn't take place in a vaccum, and more so than in anything else the laws of physics do in fact apply: to every action there is a reaction, only sometimes its not very easy to decipher it all, but there's usually a 'chain reaction' that takes place one away or another.

Agree with you though.

19. tigermission1

Refer to Egypt's fight against terrorism for the past three decades, refer to the Turkish fight against terrorism, refer to the Moroccan fight against terrorism, etc.

There is a lot being done, but at the same time there are numerous reasons as to why you don't publicly hear about those efforts. Basically, there are a lot of political sensitivities that are being guarded.

20. DaDakota

I completely agree with this, for sure the poverty and lack of a "Free thinking" education has hindered this region, and will continue to do so, until more than one way of thinking is taught and encouraged.

If people are taught the same ideology from their parents, the schools, the government and their religious leaders, it makes for some very linear thinking folks,

And, in the case of creating a stable area with free thought and discourse, it kills that completely.

DD