1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslim extremists threaten journos in Bangladesh

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Sep 19, 2005.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article-southasia.asp?parentid=29943

BANGLADESH: Journalists targeted in rising tide of Muslim extremism
    Letters containing death threats common for journalists

South China Morning Post
    Monday, September 19, 2005

A chill ran down the spine of journalist Mizanur Rahman when a neatly folded white cloth symbolising an Islamic burial shroud slipped out of the packet he received by post this month.

An accompanying letter said that for his "anti-Islamic" reporting for the Dhaka daily Janakantha he would soon be executed.

White shrouds and death threats also reached eight other newspaper journalists in Satkhira, a southern district of Bangladesh, the same day.

The letters were signed by leaders of the outlawed Islamic militant group Jagrata Muslim Janata Bangladesh [JMJB or, Awakened Muslim Citizens of Bangladesh], the orthodox Islamic movement Ahl-e-Hadith [followers of sayings of the Prophet] and Jamat-e-Islami Bangladesh, an Islamic political party which is a partner in the ruling federal coalition in Bangladesh. The letters threatened that the journalists would be "slaughtered" because through their writings they were attacking the Islamic leaders who wanted to transform the country into a pure Islamic nation.

"We are determined to bring a total Islamic rule in Bangladesh through an armed revolution. You [the journalists] are some of the obstacles in our way to achieve the goals. So, you face removal from the Earth," the letter said.

Kalyan Banerjee, a Hindu correspondent of another popular Dhaka daily, Pratham Alo, said : "In the letter accompanying the kafan [burial shroud] they said to me that Hindu religious fare would not be allowed in Pak Bangla [Holy Bangladesh] and no Hindu would be allowed to vote in the next parliamentary elections in Bangladesh."

Banerjee, who exposed the growing Islamic extremist activities in the area in a series of reports recently, said he was also receiving threatening phone calls from unknown people on his mobile.

Along with other Islamic groups, JMJB and Ahl-e-Hadith were accused of masterminding the August 17 violence in which more than 400 small bombs exploded simultaneously across the country killing two people and injuring more than 200.

In the past 10 years, at least 19 journalists have been murdered and more than 800 injured in attacks sponsored by Islamic fundamentalists, political parties, criminals and various government agencies, including the police.

In January last year, a bomb killed Manik Saha, correspondent of the Dhaka daily New Age and a BBC stringer in the southwestern district of Khulna.

A banned Maoist group called Purba Bangla Communist Party claimed responsibility for the killing of Saha, who the group called an "enemy of the poor".

International Federation of Journalists president Christopher Warren said: "Death threats are becoming a pervasive part of daily life for journalists in Bangladesh, preventing them from freely reporting matters in the public interest. The intimidation is a direct violation of civil rights, which are the basic tools for a successful democracy."

Date Posted: 9/19/2005

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

So, who wants to bet that gwayneco is going for the record of most anti-Muslim threads started in one day?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

gwayneco, you seem to have a serious problem. You have seven threads on the front page, every one of them critical, in some way, of Islam, and every one of them simply an article without any comment from you at all.

What's the deal?

Keep D&D Civil!!

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's been hacked and he is sad.

5. tigermission1

I advised him a few months ago in another thread, were he took on a similar habit of posting, that the best way to kill a bunch of sand-*****z and release some of that bottled-up anger is to enlist in the military and go to Iraq, I heard from reliable sources that they could use die-hard, flag-waving conservatives that would be courageous enough to battle the enemy.

Come on gwayneco, Uncle Sam is pointing right at you, be all you can be!

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

It's 'Blueprints to Islam Found in Lucifer's Desk Drawer' - All this week on the History Channel.....Where America comes for a piece of History! :)

7. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

gwayneco...you seem to like posting ever article that show muslims in a bad light.

keep up the good work. :rolleyes:

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I think it's high time to take gwayneco to Darband's Shish Kabob on Hillcroft for lunch, followed by a shopping trip to the Jerusalem Halal market..... :D

9. tigermission1

LOL! Their kabob is good! :D

10. RocketMan Tex

Their kabob deal is the best in the city. I have to go to Darband every four weeks or so.

In fact, I'm enamored with that whole Hillcroft strip. One of the most interesting places in the city.

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

and then to smoke some hookah as well :D

12. RocketMan Tex

I try to keep that within the privacy of my own home..... :eek: :D :D :D

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Umm fellas, please stick to the thread topic...I'm sure one of you must know a Jaleel or Yusif who's fond of torturing kittens....please go ahead and share your stories with the group... :D

14. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

These are not real muslims, so why are you posting these articles? Stop slandering all of Islam.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I don't really follow your thought processes, b/c every single muslim chick I've been with (except for maybe one), they've been real and they've been spectacular..

16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I wouldn't open any packages you weren't expecting if I were you...

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Oh don't worry, you'll never be me..

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Another thread in which Hayes has not actually said: "Muslims are bad people."

19. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

Glynch,

Muslims are terrible people.

Sincerely,

AggieRocket :)

20. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I'm curious if you feel the same as glynch, as you seem to try to legitimize his propaganda campaign.