1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Musical Chairs in College Football...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rrj_gamz, Nov 6, 2003.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Conference USA lost all-sports members Cincinnati, Louisville and South Florida and non-football members Marquette and DePaul to the Big East earlier this week for the 2005-06 season. Conference USA added SMU (WAC), Tulsa (WAC), Rice (WAC) , Marshall (MAC) and Central Florida (MAC/Atlantic Sun) for '05-'06.

The Conference USA holdovers are all-sports members East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Southern Miss, Tulane, UAB and TCU, assuming the Horned Frogs do not bolt for the Mountain West, yet it is highly likely that the eight-member Mountain West intends to invite TCU. If that were to happen, then Conference USA would look to Louisiana Tech out of the WAC as TCU's replacement.

I love the Coogs, and hated to see Cincy, Louisville and Marquettte, but the new invitees kinda remind me of the old SWC...

I'm glad TCU is still undefeated...

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, this is getting really confusing...

Wasn't Conference USA originally supposed to become a basketball power conference? It's a shame that never materialized.

On another note, I hope TCU runs the table and really screws up the BCS. It would be fun to watch, especially if OU loses a game (yeah right).

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I hope TCU doesn't run the table. If it is not bad enough BCS schools schedule one or two sometimes even three non-conference cupcakes, imagine if a team with TCU's SOS gets a bid. Everyone will try their best to imitate Bill Snyder by going into I-AA.

TCU is a good team that deserves the Liberty Bowl. If they go undefeated, I hope the polls are manipulated to keep them out. What are you gonna do, go to Congress? :D

4. Perrin

Perrin Member

its all moot about TCU, even if they go undefeated, they won't be in a BCS bowl.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't see why not. They're currently #9 in the rankings and should move up if they win out.

6. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Even at #9, they are so far behind the Top 7, that there's no way they can move up into the BCS. They are currently ranked behind a 2-loss Michigan team.

7. Hammer755

Even at #9, they are so far behind the Top 7, that there's no way they can move up into the BCS. They are currently ranked behind a 2-loss Michigan team, and less than 1 point ahead of 2-loss Georgia and Iowa, whose SOS will probably get them both over TCU soon.

8. Perrin

Perrin Member

Strength. Of. Schedule.

9. ima_drummer2k

Perhaps, but I just want to see the only undefeated team in the country not even get a BCS bid, much less play for the MNC. It would just prove how silly the current system is and perhaps move us one tiny little step to a playoff (that will probably never happen, I know).

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

South Florida is lucky. They started their football program like 10 years ago. Last year they were an independent. This year they are a member of C-USA. In 2005, they'll be in a BCS conference. I don't think the Big East will lose its status.

I don't feel bad for TCU. Can you believe last night was the first time two ranked C-USA teams played? There are at least 30 teams in the country that would be undefeated playing TCU's schedule.

11. Perrin

Perrin Member

there is no concept of a balanced schedule in college football

so SOS will always be the balancing factor

TCU plays the #98th toughest schedule out of 117 teams (current rank)

going undefeated with that schedule isn't an accomplishment that is deserving of a BCS bowl.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thank. You. :rolleyes:

I still don't buy the argument that they shouldn't get one because 30 other teams would be undefeated with their schedule. So what? They've taken the schedule they had and have gone undefeated so far. They should, at the very least, get a shot at a BCS bowl.

13. Hammer755

That's the thing with college football, the schedule (non-conference, at least) is in the hands of the school. You want to improve your SOS? Schedule a decent non-conference opponent or two, especially knowing that your in-conference schedule will hurt you so much. TCU has no one to blame for it's non-conference SOS except TCU.

14. ima_drummer2k

That not the point. The BCS is a farce. If there was a playoff, we could find out how good TCU really is instead of just assuming they suck because of their conference.

15. tozai

tozai Member

You know what sucks? If there was the craziest scenario possible, like TCU undefeated and 6 teams with 1 loss or something, there STILL would not be a playoff.

It's all about the $$$.

16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I have no problem if TCU gets a BCS bid. Would they derserve it? Probaly not theyre just barely getting by every week. A team like BYU a few years ago who killed everybody until their last game would have been more deserving than TCU if they would have ran the table. If you have a weak schedule than you better run up the score and kill every team you face than you should make a BCS.

But if they make it I have no problem it would be intersting to see if they could pull the upset.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't buy that. I guarantee that TCU's approached harder schools and have been turned down. Think about it, what school in their right mind would schedule a TCU, Northern Illinois, Marshall, etc. for a non-conference game anymore?

18. Perrin

Perrin Member

let me put it this way

which team deserves a BCS bowl more

Team A

goes undefeated in non-BCS conference
    has a schedule that is in the bottom 10% in D-IA
    plays 1 ranked team (#25 at that) at home and needed other team to miss FG at the end to win

Team B

finishes season with 10-2 record
    plays in BCS conference (top 25% SOS)
    2 loses were to ranked teams on the road
    plays 7 ranked teams during the year (ranked when they meet)

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wow, now that you put it that way. :rolleyes:

I'm still sticking with Team A.

20. Perrin

Perrin Member

why?

:rolleyes: