1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Wonder Woman 84

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Dec 8, 2019.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Very is an understatement...

T_Man

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

2 hours in (movie is 2.5 hours). Action is okay. Plot is a B movie or worse - it's almost in the straight-to-on-demand type bad.

OmegaSupreme and Jontro like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I know it's a superhero movie, but... Just flies like that, huh? And stealing a plane is the route you choose to travel by? Okay then. It's cool though, I'm just here for the 4K @tinman

Jontro likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am curious if watching it on the BIG SCREEN would make it better?

Rocket River

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Outstanding movie. Very subtly but purposefully captures the spirit of the first two Superman movies and being set in the 1980s. I think if you keep those two things in mind, this movie will make more sense and be far more enjoyable.

Best modern DC movie.

GRENDEL likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Holy shiiiiit

That movie was astoundingly bad. I think there's a good chance it was actually a parody of a superhero movie. Maybe the worst superhero movie I've ever seen.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

but gal is still so fap doe amiriteorwat?

also is this available for pirate? not doing hbo max

Downtown Sniper, rockbox and B-Bob like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Save yourself the trouble and go watch some B movie from the 80s as a way to get feel for the story and action scenes, then watch the "We Are The World" music video which is basically how the movie ended.

Plus those 80s B movies have unnecessary noods

#68 Haymitch, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    OmegaSupreme and Jontro like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Lol. Still havent seen it yet, waiting til tomorrow night. Everybody says turribell and one person says excellent. Im going with the masses and not the fanboy. Looking like dc staying consistent and delivering another flopper.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, it kinda is.

CCity Zero, Kim and Jontro like this.
  11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Some of the CGI stuff would probably be better on the big screen.

This was Spider-Man 3 bad, without the having the so-bad-it's-good quality.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

This movie was really bad. Really, really bad. So many times where I facepalmed.

Non-spoilery questions and comments:
    1. Anyone feel like Pine and Gadot were lacking in chemistry? The first WW movie was so good, that I went back and watched it twice over before 84. But the humor and chemistry in the sequel, compared to the first one, just...left much to be desired.

2. Way too convenient for the plot in that she 'learns' two powers in this movie, when she had 70+ years (since the timeline of the first WW movie) to discover and hone powers.

3. Pedro Pascal was great, Kristen Wiig was great and Gadot/Pine were great. Loved the entire cast.

4. Moral of the opening scene was about being truthful, which was the overriding theme of this whole movie. So...what does that have to do with wishing for stuff? Kinda hard for me to connect the dots, there.

Spoilery questions and comments:
    1. Imagine sleeping with Wonder Woman and having no recollection of it. Poor guy-whose-soul-was-replaced-by-Steve.

2. So...why did WW feel the need to don the golden armor just to take on an enemy she didn't even know would be Cheetah? She probably wouldn't have needed the suit of armor to fight Maxwell Lord, either. Kinda weird that WW would show up in the presumably heavy armor.

3. Cheetah felt looked over and disrespected by everyone. So her wish was to turn into an animal-human hybrid? Why not wish for the power of persuasion or wish for the power to have authority over everyone, like Maxwell Lord did, with the POTUS? What a strange wish to turn into an "apex predator."

4. How did Maxwell Lord even know about the Dreamstone, or that Barbara/Diana had it? The movie mentioned that Lord had been researching it extensively, but didn't go into further detail. So...why? How? Dude was a con man with no money - where did he get the means?

5. Maxwell Lord comes to the sudden realization that he wants to be with his son, runs out of the bunker where he and WW are, and...apparently it's right next to the highway where his son also happened to wander to? OH COME ON.

Xenon likes this.
  13. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

More thoughts.

The entire opening scene should have been cut. It added nothing and the CGI was terrible. The resolution with the Pedro Pascal character was silly. How do you get to be redeemed when you nearly destroy the world? I actually thought Kristen Wiig did a good job. Would have liked to see more of her. DC really needs to grow some balls, both of these villains should have died.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1. Wasn’t bad, IMO
    2. This is a spoiler, but the first power she didn’t learn, just hadn’t perfected. The second she has in the comics. She says in the movie that she doesn’t have a tv or do much socializing. And WW isn’t known to the public,so she hasn’t been playing superhero The whole time.
    3. agreed
    4. It’s all sort of a stretch and might be tied to the comics lore, and I’m no DC expert. Monkey’s paw.

Spoiler answers:

1. Sucks to be him fo sho
    2. She had to fight Barbara, who had the same powers so she needed every edge she could get
    3. She’s a zoologist, not that far fetched if you think like a zoo dork
    4. He either was paying for the black market shop to get it to him or paid the thieves to rob it (or both). Remember that his name is on a receipt at the bottom of the box it came in
    5. He takes the helicopter back to the Black Gold compound, and its not a stretch that the kid is close by.

More spoiler answers:

Opening scene established the whole Truth narrative for the movie while reestablishing who WW was for new fans.

He’s going to jail for sure. It showed his backstory being a poor kid with an abusive father as his motivation for his choices. Jail isn’t a redemption. I see your point with him dying

Wiig was great. She also didn’t renounce her -first- wish

#74 Xerobull, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    GRENDEL likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I heard someone say they did not feel the chemistry between
    Wonder Woman and Steve . . . . because they felt Wonder Woman was gay lol

Rocket River

Jontro likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Good thoughts. My replies:
    2. I guess it was wise to prepare for a Barbara confrontation. But WW didn't know Barbara would be that in cahoots with ML, since she didn't see him get on the plane with him. Still a bit unbelieveable to me that she'd think it necessary to don such awesome armor. Also, WW definitely wouldn't have any clue that Barbara would be full-on Cheetah at all - pretty convenient that you show up with armor that could somewhat counter Barbara's claws.

The armor also sucked, too. Pieces of it were getting straight up torn off by Cheetah lol.

3. Ok, sure. Let's assume she tunnel visioned being an animal. But a cheetah, though? Even if you follow that line of logic, why not be a bear? Tiger? Lion? You're not trying to outrun WW - you're trying to physically beat her down. Why not become even more of a hybrid, taking the strongest parts of alpha animals and making yourself a Frankenstein's monster? I know Cheetah is actually a villain in DC, but they're really stretching with this.

4. I'd still want to know how he even heard of it. This would have set up a third movie pretty well - some outside force gave intel to Lord about the Dreamstone, etc. It was the '80s - information wasn't readily available at a moment's notice. Hard to believe that a con man with limitations (both in resources and that era's tech) would be able to understand and find the dreamstone so quickly.

5. After rewatching the scene with Lord and son, I'll buy it. But he was dropped off in the middle of a field, in which he runs to an area underneath the highway and just starts screaming "Alistair!" The son then emerges from some bushes and all is well. This is a really insignificant portion of the movie to nitpick on (I know I know) but it's just a stretch, to me.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Just strange to me. If you had the power to turn stuff invisible, why the hell wouldn't you work on it? Before she used it on the plane, she mentions to Steve that the only other time she used the power was to turn her coffee invisible.

Like, bruh, keep using that power. Da fuq.

Ditto with the ability to fly. It really took some advice from not-Steve to get you to try flying? Sheesh.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

What does the 84 stand for?

The amount of seconds WW is actually in the movie?

Ubiquitin and Jontro like this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's a shout out to george orwell, the true inspiration of this masterpiece

Ubiquitin likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member