1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Hold my beer

[​IMG]

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Classic stuff... with SO MANY people complaining that this is not Star Wars anymore, there are still people saying that this is basically just a remake of the original trilogy. "There is literally nothing new."

Only goes to show me that people really have no clue what is going on.

Invisible Fan and Bobbythegreat like this.
  3. Nero

Nero Member

Exactly.

So many people fancy themselves to be movie critics. But in reality, they are usually just.. poor thinkers.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Saw it last night, thought it was good. Had some great Star Warsy moments and some that were different. I certainly saw the parallels to ESB but that doesn't upset me.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Am eagerly awaiting the review of @MadMax .

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

he does. Lots of instances with characters just showing up out of nowhere and nobody knows how they got there.

RedRedemption likes this.
  7. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Overall, it's an entertaining movie, but a subpar Star Wars movie. Half the time it felt like a Star Wars movie with the other half being a Marvel movie, and not even a good one at that.

mikol13 likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

First time I ever was disappointed walking out of a Star Wars movie. There are tons of things I didn’t like about it and very few that I did. Lazy script. And felt a lot like a parody of a Star Wars movie. When I have more time I’ll unpack that more.

mikol13 and Deckard like this.
  9. MadMax

Absolutely not. Nowhere close.

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I suspect this may be a film that is more appreciated the more you watch it. There's a lot to process here, and you don't necessarily realize it. That said, it's hard to gauge how I truly feel about this one. I liked it but didn't love it, and it's good but flawed. I don't think it quite found its footing until the final act of the film, where it really shined. Up until that point, however, it was a bit uneven.

I like some of the humor, but it was a bit too much at times, almost like they didn't learn the mistakes from the prequels, namely Phantom Menace. And I was hoping it'd be much darker than it was, but it's pretty clear they were targeting the younger crowd. The plot choices made to resolves some key things, while I understand it and liked it, at the same time it's a bit anti-climactic. I like John Boyega, but him and his character still don't work. Often times his dialogue and acting are forced and clunky. His raw emotion does finally start to come through toward the end and makes for some powerful scenes, but it's over too quickly. I think that's the key here. Much of this film is anti-climactic. Phasma is somewhat better in this film, I guess, but still has nothing much to do. And her scenes would have been far better if they hadn't screwed up her character and place in the story in Force Awakens. I like the new creatures we see and new locations, but to a point. Maybe it's a bit too much and too jarring because it's unlike other Star Wars films. There are some truly great moments here, other average parts and one horribly awful sequence it gives the Vader "NOOOO" scene in Revenge of the Sith a run for it's money. I very much enjoyed the Rey, Luke, Ren scenes and plot, for the most part. Rose I thought would be a character that may be annoying, but she was a bright spot.

I need to watch the film more to get a better feel for where it's place should be. It's not bad, no Star Wars film to me is. Yes even the prequels have their moments. But it's not, right now at least, one of the better films. Empire is still king, followed by Rogue One and Force Awakens. People say that Last Jedi is very different from other Star Wars films, but I'm not so sure. In some ways yes, but in others no. I'm definitely curious to see where we go from here. It honestly feels like this trilogy is meant to set up another trilogy. How can this all be resolved in one more film? Hell, they even say, things are just getting started.

And 3D just needs to go away...but I had no choice but to watch it on IMAX.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks and respect. Not going. Sad!

12. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Saw it last night. Like most people here, there are some great bits, and some not-so-great bits. I think it does need a second viewing, as I did have my 'Star Wars Goggles' on watching it.

Caesar likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't like force awakens that much to watch again but I'll watch this one a second time.

I actually liked the comedy bits, there's like four or five of them to break up a two and half hr movie. The movie itself was too long for star wars. Some exposition that tried to break up tension could've been taken out but I admit to yawning halfway through.

There's actually plot twists that the commercial didn't ruin.

The romance angle was tacked on.

I didn't think this was similar to ESB. ESB raised the stakes, this one resolved some things from the first movie but trashed a lot of details that would have been interesting to explore.

There's definitely a larger range of emotion in this movie than other sw. That probably removes some feel for it, but I didn't mind the change.

It's a solid movie but it doesn't hype up the third one like ESB. I can't compare this to the greats but I wasn't disappointed like phantom menace.

Caesar likes this.
  14. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I saw the movie and very much agree with all of your points. I'm curious to see what you think the Vader NOOOOO moment is. Did it involve Leia, by any chance? Spoiler it for me.

15. MadMax

Exactly what I thought. That was EASILY FAR AND AWAY the worst scene in any Star Wars movie ever. Sooo bad.

Caesar likes this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Has to be that scene. I cringed so hard. Horrible and pointless as
    it gave no purpose to the story but introduce that new commander as some twist that she was a hero after all and sacrificed herself-which did lead to the very awesome light speed destruction of Snokes ship. It was just filler to have Leia unconcious and healing when it didn't even make Kylo anymore conflicted than he already was. He didn't even have a scene where he felt her presence that she was still alive afterall. Or maybe I just had a big issue with leia being able to use the force to do that and many jedi masters died from far less including Mace Windu being force lightning pushed through a window to his death....but leia without training can be blown into space and survive while force pulling herself to safety.

vinsensual likes this.
  17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

The Force Awakens was on cable today, and I watched it all the way through for the first time since it was in theaters. It surprised me how much I liked it from beginning to end.

I never thought I’d feel this way, but I’m thrilled that JJ Abrams is coming back for Ep 9. I’m baffled that Disney like TLJ enough to hand Rian Johnson the keys to a new trilogy.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Haven't read the thread yet but here are my impressions. I'm assuming spoilers are now fair game now, but I'll spoiler it just in case.

It's an enjoyable, well made film but it has its issues.

The whole Finn/Rose subplot was ultimately pointless. Their mission was an utter failure and they would've literally been better off had they done nothing. Some of this may have been Rian Johnson subverting expectations but it really felt like he needed something for Finn and kind of Poe to do and this was it. You could've taken Finn, Rose, and 45 minutes out of the movie and it wouldn't have changed anything.

The other thing is that they set up Snoke and Rey's parentage to be big plot points for the trilogy and they were just abandoned. I'm sure this connection has been brought up, but it feels like JJ Abrams repeating what he did with LOST. He set up these mysteries with the promise that everything was planned out and that real answers were coming. But there was no plan and no answers and he just pawned off dealing with it to Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. Same thing here. It seems obvious now that there was no real plan for Snoke after Force Awakens and that Rey's parents weren't really an important part of the story. Abrams handed these loose threads to Johnson who, instead of trying to come up with unsatisfactory answers as in LOST, decided he didn't care about it and abandoned those aspects of the story. And I'm actually OK with him doing that in that he got to tell the story he wanted to tell. I'm not ever one of those people who spent a lot of time trying to figure out the "mystery". I'm just disappointed that it seemed like there was a bigger overarching story planned for the trilogy and now that doesn't seem to really be the case.

Caesar, Invisible Fan and Hammer755 like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While I couldn't agree with one part of your comment, Max (Jar Jar Binks, anyone?), like you, I was disappointed and, like you, I don't feel like uncorking all that right now. I'll see it again and perhaps feel a little differently. After all, an 11:15 am showing on Friday after being up until 4 in the morning could have had an influence. Not a lot, but some.

Oh, and everyone should stick with using spoilers!

mikol13 likes this.
  20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

There's gonna be a fan edit of this movie and it's gonna be great. I haven't rewatched this yet, but I think a lot of the main complaints and the slapstick can be excised from the movie without making it distracting. The adywan edits of the prequel trilogy made it very watchable.

Caesar likes this.