1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Monster Hunter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, Oct 14, 2020.

1. droxford

droxford Member

Who knows if it will actually make it to theaters (or.... will theaters even be open?), but it's targeting a December release.

TimDuncanDonaut and Xerobull like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm a sucker for Mila Jovovich movies. In.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Starship Troopers Reboot.... no thanks

Plus T.I. is in it, he's such a terrible actor. Megan Good and Mila Jovovich may be the only reasons to watch, but they're pretty bad actresses themselves.

Pass.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Will watch, but it doesn't look good. Not only did they share too much in the trailer, but it didn't look compelling. It's better not to know what the monster is.

Xerobull likes this.
  5. Xerobull

What I call 'synopsis' trailers are always a bad sign.

But I won't watch until it hits for free so I will forget the trailer until then.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

The resident evil movies are my guilty pleasures.

Another team-up with her director husband. Their marriage last longer Morey and the Rockets.

7. Xerobull

MONSTER HUNTER Has Been Pulled From Theatres In China Amid Accusations Of Racism

The Monster Hunter movie was released in China yesterday, but has already been pulled from theatres amid controversy stemming from an exchange between two characters which has been deemed to be racist...

RorMachine | 12/5/2020

[​IMG]

Monster Hunter was released in China on Friday, but the film has already stirred up controversy for featuring a scene which has been deemed to be racist and "insulting" to Chinese people.

The Paul W.S. Anderson video game adaptation reportedly includes a 10-second exchange between Asian American actor/rapper Jin Au-Yeung, aka MC Jin, and an unnamed white male actor, in which the former makes a tasteless joke with inferred racist connotations.

"In the scene, a white male character and an Asian character played by Jin are driving together at high speed," writes Variety. “'What'?” says the former. “'Look at my knees'!” shouts Jin. “'What kind of knees are these'?” asks his companion. “'Chi-nese'!” jokes Jin, punning on the word’s last syllable."

An example of Anderson's typically dreadful dialogue? Most definitely. Racist? Well, the backlash mostly appears to have stemmed from the "joke" being interpreted as a reference to racist schoolyard rhyme, “Chi-nese, Jap-a-nese, dir-ty knees, look at these,” which is usually accompanied by knee slaps and slant-eyed gestures.

Cinemas around the country have now pulled the movie from their line-ups. A quarter of all film screenings in China were said to be allotted to Monster Hunter on Friday, but by Saturday that had fallen to only 0.7%. A new version of the movie without the scene in question is reportedly being worked on, but it's unclear if the censored cut will be re-released.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Aint that the bees knees, they've become yet another annoying net nanny

9. Xerobull

You kind of know what you're getting with China.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Love the Monster Hunter games but I'm definitely certain this will be total schlock. I have a few buddies I might watch it with though just to laugh at the terribleness. Given COVID I'll probably wait to watch it streaming though.

11. Xerobull

Tangent- I see an opportunity for a social media platform where you can synchronize what you're watching with other people and have voice and text chat at the same time.

boomboom likes this.
  12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Should call that app LivingRoom...because that's where that type of stuff happens.

snowconeman22 and Xerobull like this.
  13. Drexlerfan22

I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure Plex has synchronized watching, so I might test that on this, though chat would need to be over a different app since I'd expect Plex does not have any kind of chat function.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

That's an option for the tech savvy. I'm talking about something built into or that works with streaming apps like Netflix, Disney+, etc.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  15. Drexlerfan22

That's true. If I tried that with my parents they'd be like "what's a Plex?"