1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] John Wick 4: Hagakure

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 22, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

wat means this? thought don yen is teh titts

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw this over the weekend. I'm a huge John Wick series fan so I was incredibly stoked, and it did not disappoint.

Some of the early fight choreography was a little sloppier than I'm used to in this series, but I have to keep reminding myself that Keanu is no spring chicken anymore, so it is probably really difficult for him with them ramping up the action in each subsequent movie. The latter half seemed to tighten up, however, and I didn't notice it as much. I guess I'll spoiler the rest of my post because I don't want to worry about giving away too much.
    My favorite things:
    • I could have watched 3 hours of just Keanu shooting randos with those dragonbreath shells. That whole sequence was AMAZING. Both in the choreography of the gunfight and the direction style.
    • Donnie Yen was incredible. It didn't really bother me that they seemed to change the rules on his blindness limitations because he was just so good.
    • THE DOG. I was a huge fan of the dogs in part 3, especially the way they seemed to hit baddies like NFL linebackers when they attacked. When I got home from the movie, looked my dog in the eyes and said simply "Nuts" and he didn't immediately start attacking someone's nads, I realized I had failed as a dog owner.
    • The whole sequence of John Wick fighting his way to the church. Especially the way they weaponized the roundabout. That sequence just kept going and kept getting better. And then there was the stairs.
    Things that weren't my favorite:
    • I kept assuming the identity of the tracker dude was going to be important and revealed. The emphasis on him never giving his name seemed important? Were they setting him up to take over the series? He was good and I wouldn't mind seeing a movie or series around him, but if he was "Mr Nobody" because in the end he is going to some how take over the John Wick name...that's a little too silly. My guess throughout the movie was he was going to be revealed to be Halle Berry's character's brother, with the whole dog connection and everything. I guess they are saving this for future installments.
    • I needed more Shimazu. His duel with Caine was fantastic and I wish he had not continued on until death and stuck around to help John a little more. I really love that actor. He is always good.
    • I read somewhere that there is already a John Wick 5 approved...so he's not dead? But I heard that Keanu is through with the series, for now. I'm not sure I like the idea of them continuing the movies if there is no more John Wick. I like the series idea based around the Continental, and maybe other spinoff ideas. But they should let John Wick stay dead and not make any more movies. They screwed up what was a wonderful trilogy by making additional Bourne movies. Don't do that here also.
    • The fat suit villain doing karate moves was...a choice. I would have rather them had the dude be like Kingpin and just be incredibly strong and impervious to pain, or something. Don't have this dude who looks like he is 300+ lbs doing spinning head kicks. That's silly even for this series. But that was a minor complaint.

Overall, incredible movie and it was worth the wait. I'm very excited to see what the other spinoffs do with this universe.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah...

• Suspending belief and questioning why JW walked to the church instead of just rolling up like Winston did, I'm still trying to figure out which scene was my favorite in the movie. I'm leaning towards the roundabout because I've never seen anything like it. But the Dragonfire scene was shot so amazingly well and featured the title song. And the Osaka scene was dope as ****...so much to love about this movie.
    • They're spinning off the JW universe with Ballerina and The Continental, I'm sure Mr. Nobody is going to show up and play a role. I expect to see Akira and Caine more too.
    • I don't think that Keanu has ruled out another movie. I watched an interview where he said he wanted to leave it up to the audience.
    • I enjoyed the over-the-top aspect of Killa (fat guy). Again, you have to just suspend belief in these movies, Keanu got hit by what, five cars? But he's wearing a kevlar suit so it's ok. :p
    • Speaking of the Kevlar suit, my kids wanted to play 'Splatoon' outside last night and my wife and I ended up pretend shooting each other and lifting our shirts up to block the shots. It was silly but I loved it.
    • Music was phenomenal.

4. elrond

elrond Member

Invisible Fan, Jontro and clos4life like this.
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Invisible Fan, elrond and Jontro like this.
  6. elrond

elrond Member

Yeah, exactly. Jackie was the 1st disappointment, Donnie was basically an 'Et tu, Brute?'

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Damn disappointing. I wasn't surprised with Jackie since hes a lecherous clown who will perform tricks for money, but Donnie...

I guess Everyone has a price.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. VanityHalfBlack

There are a few action movies that still stand the test of time till this day. Die hard is one of them. Will the john wick movies do the same?

clos4life likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ll give this an 8.5/10…I liked this better than the last one and would definitely watch again

I loved the entire Osaka Continental scene…the set pieces were beautiful, and I pretty much always enjoy seeing Hiroyuki Sanada on screen…it was probably my favorite part of the movie

I thought they would do more with his daughter, but she got dropped completely

I liked the character of Caine, but at some point I had to be like

[​IMG]

the way this man was dodging bullets would make Daredevil blush

John Wick’s suit comes with GOAT level plot armor

John Wick and any of his friends are the only ones who don’t shoot blindfolded with Daishen Nix reaction speed

shoutout to the German Shepherd who was putting in major work…What’s his IMDb?

RIP Lance Reddick

the lady next to me was giggling throughout the movie like this was a damn comedy…John Wick kicked some dude in the nuts before double tapping with headshots, and she was like

[​IMG]

ROCKSS, CCity Zero, GRENDEL and 4 others like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Great post. Have to admit my buddy and I were laughing at a lot of the scenes. I loved some of the Paris car stuff, super darkly funny.

And I hope a few of y'all appreciate:
    When Wick takes his jacket and vest off near the end, for the final showdown, they have this tinkling off all the remnant flattened bullets and stray shells from the previous hours of mayhem. It's kinda subtle but super funny.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hard to tell honestly. This one doesn't have a great plot like Die Hard and some others.
    Not sure how viewers in 2035 will feel about this era's greatest ode to stunt men and fairly repetitive kill sequences.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

It was hilarious at times, good for that woman.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Enjoyed it a lot, definitely worth seeing in theater like you said.

I think he'll probably do 5, it's very popular as expected in box office. I mean pre-covid was supposed to be B2B, so I'm sure they'll make it work, haha.

GRENDEL and Xerobull like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jontro likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Isn't Jackie from China too?

Jontro and clos4life like this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I wonder If Chinese people are disappointed in Matthew McConaughey for believing in American Democracy. :D

Talk about a cultural disconnect guys, Jesus Christ.

dookiester and B-Bob like this.
  17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nazis believed in their government as well, doesn't mean it was right to do so. If your government commits atrocities it doesn't give you moral permission to embrace it just because you are a citizen.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Die Hard started a genre of action films. That's why it stands the test of time.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

67EB2208-2DE1-40B8-9C20-31772FCB7A22.jpeg 229CFD59-81BF-4040-8224-D47F7467FB6E.jpeg 2B50B93F-CD6A-4E6B-B2D6-4721C3A68C62.jpeg
    I would guess that most Chinese people do not like their government and how they keep people from being free.

Here are a few screenshots from a friend of mine over some conversations the last few days. I’m not going to give too much but it should be enough for you to get the gist. You speak out and you run the real risk of something terrible happening to you. He talks to me using a VPN because it’s not safe to share.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

tho i disagree with their ideals, but realistically, they're rich and famous. i wouldn't risk it all with a public anti-ccp comments. it's every man for themselves there i guess. i mean, john cena is worse in that sense.