1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

movie casting thread: FLETCH WON

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hey Now!, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

from kevin smith's web site:

"Kevin Smith, a cornerstone director for both Miramax chief Harvey Weinstein and Dimension topper Bob Weinstein, has committed to direct "Fletch One" for Miramax...

Smith has completed the first draft of "Fletch One." The pic will continue the exploits of the journalist-mystery solving character played in two films by Chevy Chase. But in much the same way that early Elmore Leonard adaptations barely resembled the author's prose until Scott Frank adapted "Get Shorty" and "Out of Sight," Smith promised a close adherence to the distinctive dialogue and plotting that McDonald put into his novel series.

"The other 'Fletch' films were Chevy vehicles with a Lakers fetish," said Smith. "We've taken an early novel where the author told the origin of how Fletch got his job on a newspaper. It will stick much closer to McDonald's brilliant dialogue and great characters, and the model for this film is 'Out of Sight.' Though these actors know nothing about this, I've worked down to a short list of Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Jimmy Fallon and Adam Sandler for the role of Fletch."

ok, i think... think (hope?) his list is a joke. i'm fairly certain it is. i know smith wants jason lee, and frankly, i think lee's an inspired choice but the accompanying piece indicates lee's out, per the studio, and if so.... who should do it?

who has that perfect blend of smarmy smartass and disarming charm? owen wilson was the one and only guy i could think of (likely too old, but..). maybe, if they could reign him in, the guy who plays stiffler... maybe. maybe.... and fallon wouldn't be terrible... but man, i'm at a loss and this is only the single most important casting decision since the role of billy in beverly hills cop 1....

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

That sucks jason lee would be perfect for the part.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

VINCE VAUGHN

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Why not Chevy Chase?

Im dying for another GOOD and funny Chevy Chase movie.

Dude probably needs to slim down a bit, but I think he still has the wit to be Fletch again... no?

Vince Vaughn would be money.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Dammit Drew...I was just about to say the same thing. Chevy's last major effort (Vegas Vacation?) was not very good.

Give me Chevy or give me no Fletch!!!

[​IMG]

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ben Affleck would be perfect for this role, pull your heads out and think about it. They could find a way to cast Jennifer Lopez in the movie as his love interest--how could that possible be bad? Those two were meant to work together, its Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers for the 21st century... :rolleyes:

7. coma

coma Contributing Member

Jason Lee would be good.

Vince Vaughn or David Duchovny would be the next choices.

If not these guys, then perhaps Sandler would be a decent job. Or how about John Cusack?

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Will Smith as Fletch? I don't think so.

I could see Vince Vaughn, Jason Lee, or Ben Affleck portraying a young Irwin Fletcher.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd grown used to the idea of Jason Lee, so I say if it can't be him Smith should pick Cusack or Duchovny.

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Screw Jason Lee. I want Jason MEWS...

Ah, I can see it now:

"Yo, pops! Let's roll up a nice f***ing fatty together and rock the motherf***ing ganja till them b**** ass hoes in this joint look like that f***ing big titty chick who works at the Quik Stop!"

11. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

You should see my shoes.

Wooooch.

12. TheFreak

Too bad Chris Farley died...

Ron Livingston, anyone?

13. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I'm all for a good Chevy Chase movie, and I wouldn't mind seeing another Chevy Chase as Fletch movie (even though Fletch Lives was awful), but I don't think he could do Fletch Won since it's a sort-of Year One story.

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I like the idea of Cusak too.

His humor is kind of Chase-ish.

While were on it... what about John Favreau?

15. TheFreak

I love him but he just seems too 'nice'.

I couldn't see him saying "how 'bout lunch at the Inn & Out Burger......no? How 'bout just the 'in and out'?"

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Totally off-topic. When we were in Vegas last weekend, I was riding the elevator with the girl that met me out there. I told her we were "doing In and Out tonight", meaning, we were going to eat at the greatest fast food place in the world that night.

Yeah, the elderly woman riding in the elevator with us didn't know that's what I meant. At least the look on her face conveyed that.

:D

Back on topic, Jon Favreau might be pretty good. Dude's gotten fat lately though.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i will see it because....well...i just will...it's freaking fletch.

but chevy chase IS fletch. hard for me to imagine someone assuming that role.