1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Adventureland

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dave2000, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I have to give props, publicity for this movie, saw it last night using my Studio Movie Grill free movie coupon (fyi, which ends at the end of the month, for those that got it also) and have to say it caught me by surprise

The trailer didn't do the movie justice, since it was advertised as R rated comedy movie. Don't expect a laugh out loud Superbad/Judd Apatow like film, its more a light comedy indie flick, but also a "dramedy". Solid job by Jesse Eisenberg, who will remind you of Michael Cera, Kristen Stewart caught me by surprise, and Ryan Reynolds has an unadvertised part, and played it well

its an 80's movie setting, so it has a solid soundtrack, hell, I was singing to most of them throughout the movie

don't wanna give much away, other than go see it, its got a 89% average on Rotten Tomatoes

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There is something trippy about the movie, it felt like a dream. Maybe it was just the 80s setting, I dunno... I liked it too though.

3. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

Really solid movie, just really hard to market.

Hopefully it will pick up some buzz on DVD.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i liked it, but were they freaking college kids/graduates or high schoolers? i know they were supposed to be college students/graduates, but they sure didn't act like it.

5. Dave2000

according to the Wiki page

that explains the drinking throughout the movie, I thought also he was fresh out of HS kid.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i just didn't get all the sneaking around and what not i guess.

7. Dave2000

I guess that how it was in the 80's

anybody else thought the chick that played Lisa P could be like a younger sister of Eliza Dushku? She looks ALOT like her, pretty smokin, but not up to the stadards as Eliza :)

btw, didn't anybody else feel it reminded you of Dazed and Confused? I kinda drew comparisons to that, even the IGN review mentioned the same thing.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i had sisters who were in college at the time...it wasn't like that for them or their friends. oh well, minor quibble. i enjoyed the movie.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I thought it was okay. I expected it to be more like Superbad (considering the same director did it). I would say it reminded me more of Freaks and Geeks than it did of Dazed and Confused. D&C was more laugh out loud funny. Overall, I was a bit disappointed, but it is certainly watchable. If you are looking for more of a comedy, I really liked Observe and Report.

10. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I was expecting a totally different movie (in the Superbad mold, as others mentioned), so in a way I left disappointed. However, I'm fairly certain that I'd enjoy it much more on a second viewing.

11. southernjustice

southernjustice Contributing Member

This movie succeeds where so few do - it's truthful, witty, heartfelt and funny. The humor is subtly dark with a healthy dose of sarcasm, irony and witticisms. The movie plays like a cross between superbad and rocket science - watch it

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Watched this a couple of weeks ago... thought this to be pretty funny... something is def. wrong with that twilight girl.... I mean.. I don't know if she was supposed to be that way... but it was like she needed heroin or something... she doesn't fit that loving role.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I loved this movie. Huge surprise, since the trailer was lame.

14. VanityHalfBlack

Love the 80's, best decade ever...

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AMEN !!!

The 80s were the best.

DD

16. Dave2000

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Man that was weird. I just got done watching I Love You Man about 10 mins ago, and as I was surfing I decided to see what day Adventureland is being released on DVD. Immediately after that the next site I visit is the bbs, and this is the topic at the top of the Hangout. Freaky. :eek:

18. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

just watched. very enjoyable movie.

it felt very familiar without being predictable. like someone else said, this movie succeeded in ways that most movies fall short. at the start, i was like "oh man, this lead character is going to be unbearable." i was very wrong.

the dialogue was witty, but not too rehearsed to seem authentic. the characters were accessible, genuine, and extremely palatable. 4 out of 5.

19. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Just watched this and this is easily one of my favorite movies. The music, the characters, the story; everything was flawless.

Highly recommended.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yep. Probably the only thing I've liked Ryan Reynolds in:

"They won't have sex with you, but, the things they'll let you do..."