1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moves to be made to make it 10 straight ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by megastahr, Oct 16, 2022.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I’m sure none of us would have thought we’d be here back in 2017 if you told us we would lose Cole, Springer and Correa in consecutive seasons for nothing.

And since we’ve got some time waiting for the Yankees to be eliminated. What moves do the Astros need to make in order to extend the 6 straight ALCS to 10?

With lots of salary coming off the books this year.

[​IMG]

What moves should be made to keep this window open?

Who should be resigned maybe on a discount, what internal options do we have replacing who we are losing and what free agents should we go after?

2023 Free agents:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-2022-23-free-agents-by-position

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Nothing can be done until they decide on the GM and Manager.

Do not expect to be a player at the top of the FA market. The Astros have been consistent in not offering deals of 8 or more years which you find there. The BIG FA signing of Verlander twice (1st time was a trade) were for a player entering FA, but before he was on the open market.

#2 Marshall Bryant, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    red5rocket and raining threes like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Maximize player development. That is the key. They allow you to replace players long-term or be traded to fill immediate needs.

FWIW, we do get draft picks for losing those guys:

Alex Santos (Cole)
    Chayce McDermott (Springer) - Traded in Mancini deal
    Andrew Taylor (Correa)

In terms of what the roster needs, we are pretty well set for next 2 years except for 1B & C (CF may not be perfect, but it isn't a true need, just room for improvement). Same would be true for pitching, where re-signing Verlander isn't a need, but still pretty dang valuable.

megastahr likes this.
  4. megastahr

yah that for sure to be added to list and probably the most important part.

5. megastahr

My no 1 move would be Brandon Nimmo. We need a CF we have plenty of options for corner. We need to fill this hole and he is looking like an absolute stud. If we get him maybe get Mancini to take his player option for one more year. I imagine we could get yuli back at a discount too.

Also thanks for clearing up what we got back … not as bad as I was thinking. Never looked who we took with those picks

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We need two bats. One in LF/DH and one at first base. I say resign Yuli for the infield utility role.

I would like keep resigning Verlander on short contracts, but we may be priced out with a team like the Yankees offering him more 3 or more years.

Unlike everyone, I'm good with Chas and Myers playing centerfield assuming Jake gets healthy.

We also need someone to replace Montero.

7. Major

Major Member

They also have a hole at LF/DH, depending on which Yordan is playing.

8. mightybosstone

I think a lot of it begins with the answer to the Verlander question. Do you spend the money to bring him back or acknowledge your depth at starting pitching and use the money to add elsewhere? I love JV, but Framber, McCullers, Javier, Garcia, Brown and Urquidy is a hell of a starting rotation without him. If they keep him, maybe you move one of those guys to improve holes elsewhere.

Looking at the rest of the free agents, I'd love to keep Brantley, Maldonado, Yuli and Diaz, but Yuli and Maldy ideally wouldn't be your full-time starters at first and catcher. And if Diaz leaves, I'm good with letting Hensley try his hand at that role next year. Keeping Montero would be great, but he may get a big payday.

I love Mancini the person, but Mancini the player has been underwhelming. I know it's a small sample size, but I'd let him walk and look for a starting first baseman elsewhere. That's the position that could help dramatically improve the Astros lineup. That and Brantley returning and giving us one more good year.

CF is the other obvious hole. I'd love to see one of the kids take it in Meyers or Leon. Love Chas, but they can do better. If they don't have faith in those guys, getting an impact bat there would be huge as well.

9. megastahr

I would try to keep verlander for the elite SP with so much experience at the top for playoffs. Try a 2 plus 1 on the contract. Then use the rest of the money for a hole filler like Nimmo, Bell or Abreu. Then trade one of Urquidy/Garcia for whichever needed position you don’t address in FA. Out of 1b, OF/CF and C.

Then you plug brown into the back ot the rotation.

Hopefully one or two of Brantley , Yuli or Mancini stay on a discount for depth.

The one thing I’m not really sure of is who in the minor leagues is ready to fill one of those holes.

#9 megastahr, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Sign Verlander for a 1 year deal. Maybe he would like to do the clemens arrangement of signing midway through the year to keep arm fresh, I would be ok with that

You don't need all 3 but I would try to get atleast 1 good hitter for either of the needed positions (1b, lf, cf) hoping we are average at one of those positions, add a good free agent at the other and get lucky with someone from minors (maybe a Leon or something like that)

Pitching core looks great with mcculers, Valdez, brown, Garcia, urquidy, javier. Especially if Verlander is added for back end/playoff.

megastahr likes this.
  11. megastahr

Yah do we have a legit answer at CF, 1B or C in minors by next year?

Maybe Leon and Chas/Meyers is enough at CF.

But I don’t see a legit fill at 1B and C but could be wrong

eliefor3 likes this.
  12. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Hasn't JV been open about wanting to pitch like 6 more seasons? If that is really his goal then I don't think he would be down for the half season deals till at least 2025/2026.

eliefor3 likes this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

1) resign Verlander to a 3 yr deal w/4th yr player option that will help w/ the AAV.

2) trade Garcia and/or Urquidy ( only if JV is on the books) for a 1B or C w/ 1-3 yrs MLB time. Established but controllable and affordable.

3) the CF of the now + future is in the organization. Meyers or Leon for 2023 Gilbert, Melton, or Barber in 2024 if neither has the Pena type 2023 needed to claim the spot.

4) keep working on extensions for Tucker, Framber, Javier, etc. Even consider extensions for Hensley or Brown as they have proven enough for a small cheap risk. Maybe Stanek and/or Chas? I think Montero is already too expensive.

5) identify a pool of possible young pitchers in other organizations to be the next Montero, Graveman, Maton, etc and work prior to deadline to get him/them to be sure the pitching staff is 13+ deep in above average MLB arms. This should be an annual task.

6) make Yordan/McCormick a traditional LF platoon.

J_Hunter_1977 and megastahr like this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree if he really wants to pitch until he is approaching mid forties and 300 wins is a goal he is not interested in taking April/May off.

I think he really bought into the 6 man rotation though. I think the Astros have proven to be able to keep him healthy and effective and he knows it.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

Re-sign JV, re-sign brantley at a discount, re-sign yuli for dirt cheap, re-sign maldy. Re-sign Aledmys if cheap enough. Explore CF options. Explore C complement options to Maldy.

Yuli is still elite defensively and has offensive upside compared to his performance this season, as we are seeing thus far this postseason. Never gonna have another lineup insanely loaded on paper like 2019. I'd imagine he will be practically free to re-sign.

For the first time maybe ever i'm fine not making any big moves and keeping roster generally the same. Adjust where necessary at trade deadline. I think Ohtani may be in play at deadline.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Maldonado met the triggering guidelines and has a contract for next year.

If he doesn't retire he will be back.

cardpire, travfrancis and No Worries like this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

A bat in CF and 1B

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

GM
    Click - Replace and allow that replacement to choose weather to keep or replace Dusty.
    FA
    Verlander - Offer a $7 million signing bonus to exercise his option plus another player option year for same.
    Gurriel - Offer a 1year $4 million extension plus up to $4 mil more in bonuses for playing time etc.
    Vasquez - If Maldy retires offer Vasquez a 1 year $4 million extension with up to $3 million more in bonuses & an additional player option year.
    Montero - Offer two years at 3 million per.
    The rest - Thank them for their services.
    Extensions
    Negotiate with Altuve & Bregman both for an additional two years plus a mutual option for a third.
    Negotiate an extension for Tucker if he is willing to make a team friendly deal. Otherwise table the issue till 2025, no hurry.

I have a lot more to say on thi subject but it would take a too large post to do it all at once.

19. Buck Turgidson

1. win the next series

20. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Keeping Yuli as a bench player is fine, but not as a full time 1B.