1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most overrated NFL stat?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by giddyup, Oct 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

What do you think is the most overrated NFL statistic? I say it is kickoff return average.

They drool all over a guy with a 28-yard kickoff return average while a guy with a 21-yard average is just a slob.

Does 7 yards really make a big difference? Explain please or cite your own bugaboo.

2. azn-baller

azn-baller Member

points scored by the kicker...it means nothing for the kicker...it jus shows how good the teams offense is...

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Interception Return Yards Per Interception in a Dome Stadium is soooooooooooo overrrated.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Not that we're all counting...but this is the best #4000 post you could think of??!!?;)

I'd have to second the points scored by the kicker.

5. drapg

drapg Member

Or how bad, if the kicker has a lot of field goal attempts.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, the most overrated accomplishment in all of sports is now the 1,000 yard season.

I have a few stats:

QB rating: perhaps if you didn't need an advanced mathmatics degree to calculate it...

Passing yards: Doesn't take into account the number of yards after the catch, is often heavily inflated by the number of attempts, and doesn't mean much if the QB can't get a red zone TD pass...

Yards per attempt: A stat that simply penalizes QBs for incompletions

What's more weird for me, though, is the way the NFL calculates some of it's stats, like passing yards. A QB gets mauled by a 300 lb defensive end because the left tackle missed his blocking assignment, and HE gets seven passing yards taken away? I think there should be a seperate stat for sack yardage lost...

8. A-Train

That would be the 1,000 yard rushing season...

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

1000 yard rushers

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

300 yard passers...with over 30 completions. That's less than 10 yards per completion. Not that big of a deal.

11. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I second that. In a 16 game season, you only need to average a measely 62.5 yards per contest to qualify. Wow......What's even worse is backs who have the carries to get to the plateau, but fall short by 200 yards or so. Yeeech.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Actually a sack doesn't go against the QB's individual passing total. It counts against the team's passing yards.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was just about to post this, what is the point of this stat. Is it passing game efficiency?

14. A-Train

Ohhhhh...When they show the stats on screen, there's sometimes a negative number in the passing yardage column. I thought that went against the QB...

15. PhiSlammaJamma

xtra points made

16. Major

Major Member

<B>I was just about to post this, what is the point of this stat. Is it passing game efficiency?</B>

I think yards per attempt is a great stat - it is all about passing game efficiency. Take 2 QBs:

#1: 30-60, 300 yards
    #2: 15-30, 300 yards

Which was better? #2, in my opinion, because those other 30 plays would have been running plays that would have gotten additional yards. Total yardage doesn't show it, but yards-per-attempt does. You could also use yards-per-completion, but that penalizes this guy:

#1: 10-30, 200 yards
    #2: 30-30, 200 yards

In this scenario, #2 would look worse than #1 using Y-P-C, which clearly isn't the case. With YPA, they look similar.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree with Applewhite here. I love Y-P-A.

You don't want to reward 60 passing attempts, and you want to be reasonable about total yardage. Y-P-A does both, IMO.

18. A-Train

You have a point, Major, but you can't penalize a QB for throwing passes. That's part of his job. Besides, it's the coach that calls the plays, not the QB. Also, a QB has to throw the ball a bunch of times if the team falls behind early.

19. Major

Major Member

I think the most overrated sports stat in general is "Bench Points". Whenever one team's bench dominates the other team, it almost always means the other team's starters outscored the first team. No one ever talks about that though.

For example, let's say:

Rockets 100
    Mavs 95

Some bozo announcer will point out how our bench outscored the Mavs 30-5, and that this was the key to the win. What they won't mention is that their starters then outscored ours 90-70. Who cares which players are doing the scoring? The total sum is all that's really relevent.

20. Major

Major Member

You have a point, Major, but you can't penalize a QB for throwing passes. That's part of his job. Besides, it's the coach that calls the plays, not the QB. Also, a QB has to throw the ball a bunch of times if the team falls behind early.

Sure, but YPA doesn't penalize the QB for throwing passes unless he's not getting any yards out of those throws - in which case, I think he is a worse QB that someone who threw the same number of passes for more yards, or someone who threw for the same number of yards with fewer passes.