1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mortensen: Texans and Steelers in talks for rights to Henson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by countingcrow, Nov 5, 2003.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Mortensen was on Dan Patrick's radio show today around 2pm and he was asked about Drew Henson. He basically reiterated the news he released on Sunday but did say that the Texans and Steelers are in mid-level talks about Henson, but that a deal would probably not be announced until after the season.

Mortensen added that his sources tell him that it is Henson who has targeted Pittsburgh as his destination of choice. When asked what Henson will fetch, Mortensen said at least a first-round pick.

He said that Casserly is a very shrewd GM and will end up getting what he is asking for in return for Henson. Mortensen said 3-4 other teams are likely to chime in with interest but look for Pittsburgh to be where Henson ends up.

Dan Patrick added that he had spoken with Tom Brady two weeks ago for an ESPN magazine article and that when he asked Brady whether Henson would ever play in the NFL, Brady said, "He already told me he was going to play in the NFL next season", as if it were common knowledge. Brady went on to say that he thinks Henson "will be a very good QB in the NFL."

Just a heads up.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Hell yeah, thanks for the news!!!

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hope this is true. It'll just give me yet another reason to root against the steelers.

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

5. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

WOW! When we trade Henson I hope that will have the same impact that the Hershel Walker deal did for Dallas.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Imagine if Pittsburgh gave up their first rounder. That would be a pretty sweet pick right about now. That's hard to imagine, but if they did, wow.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

So we may have a chance to have 2 top 15picks next season. Just think we could draft Tommie Harris and Sean Taylor.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I heard this as well, Mortenson is a good source on most of these rumors, most importantly however is that Henson is targeting the Steelers. Whether or not the Texans were going to get anything from the drafting of Henson hinged on if he would be willing to choose a team to play for or just go back into the draft.

Going into the draft would be a good financial situation, it doesn't look like a strong QB year, and Henson would be probably go high. Of course he could end up playing somewhere he doesn't want to go.

The Steelers are struggling and currently are in the #6 overall draft spot, but the tough part of their season is over and they could make hay in the second half. Would the Steelers be willing to fork over a top ten pick for Henson? I'm hoping they win a few more games and are selecting in the middle of the first round, where they might be a little more apt to part with it.

The Packers as well are said to be very interested in Henson, lets hope for a bidding war.

9. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Just to clarify, "Mortensen" is Chris Mortensen from ESPN. He has always been pretty accurate on his inside info and his viewpoints are almost always on cue.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I read something in Peter Kings's column last week that said that Henson can't work out for any team before the draft w/o the Texans permission. W/o a workout, considering he's had 3 years off, very few if any teams would use a high round pick on him.

His best bet is to stick w/ the Texans and work a trade; and I think that is what will happen

All you cowboys fans and other naysayers who swore up and down and argued like crazy back and forth with me a few months ago that Henson wasn't going to be worth a first round pick may need to get the george foreman crow eating grill fired up soon!
    :D

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This is going to turn out to be the steal of the draft.

12. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

How does the salary cap work for this?

Does Henson have to fit under the Texans cap, the Steelers cap or both?

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Texans have to sign him first, then trade him. The contract can be written with accelerators.

CC did a good pick, it seems. Let's get a #1 (and maybe more), this team needs lots more help.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

An extra 1st rounder will help...

I would upgrade the secondary and D-line, but if Roy Williams were available...

15. 03TxAg

03TxAg Member

Fitzgerald is better than Roy Williams

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good post, Phillyrocket. Something to think about.

If I were Henson, I would be all over the Steelers. Good stable franchise with a couple of stud receivers in Hines and Plex. They seem like they're just a QB away from being pretty good.

17. Roc Paint

Just like the Texans are a waterboy short of being a good team, right?

Go Texans!!

18. Roc Paint

I meant to put this up there. :)

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Fitzgerald is only a sophomore this year. Roy will be a top-5 pick.

20. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Fitzgerald can come out this year if he wanted to. For some reason, he took a year off between high school and college. So, he's been out of high school for 3 years meaning he is eligible if he wanted to be.