1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey a “Tenuous Fit” with Tilman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I am dubious about this lasting through 30 June.

I am quite concerned that, if my dubiosity has any legs, w/whom his successor might be. (And which would be worse - - Colangelo Jr or Fertitta Jr???)

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

He's been here 12 years, first with Leslie & now Tilman.
    He's no "victim".
    He can always go work for James Dolan, Jerry Reinsdorf, Glen Taylor, Robert Sarver, Michael Jordan, Robert Pera, Vivek Ranadive, DeVos family or the likes.

Poor Morey, he's had it so bad here.
    29 other teams would let him spend limitlessly but mean ol' Leslie & Tilman won't.
    #FreeMorey

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Victim? That’s nowhere near the question of whether or not he and the new franchisee are mesh-fellas.

And let us not lose sight of the reality that folks have use-by dates in every corner of work, and social, interactions. In sports he has few peers at GM level, nor coaches, nor franchisees, w/whom he started out. (Ironically Cs remain the same, save for coach.)

It is my unlearned guesstimation that if these are the latter days of DM the GM in Houston I think he will leave basketball. At least for a duration. One year? Longer?

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

So do WE. We're sitting on the best chance to win a title in ages and Tilman is going to f$#k it all up to save some money.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup. Now is the time to spend. The moves at the margins matter. It can be that extra something that helps win a playoff series or get higher seeding. There are ripple effects here.

They can save money when they are in a down turn and rebuilding/retooling.

Tilman running the Rockets like a restaurant.

Richie_Rich, Gray_Jay, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

And what kills me is that those "moves at the margin" are what Morey does as well as (or better) than any GM in the league.

If Tilman had actually given Morey the ability to go into the LT, we'd have a stronger roster surrounding Harden and Westbrook and be in a position to strengthen it even more at the deadline.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Precisely! It is beyond obvious at this point. All we can do is sit back and sigh.

D-rock likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

FIFY

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  9. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Fertitta is a dollar menu Trump imposter. Of course he doesn’t fit with one of the smartest guys in the league.

Hakeemtheking, Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

With the Warriors' demise, and several teams having improved, the field is wide open. There are a number of teams, including the Rockets, that have a shot at the title this year.

D-rock likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Champion will be Made in the Playoffs just like Superstar are born there.

Easy likes this.
  12. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Fertitta will replace Morey with Paulie Walnuts from “The Sopranos”

D-rock likes this.
  13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Unless China backs out of their boycott of the Rockets, I'm afraid Morey's days with the Rockets are numbered.

Tillman Fajita will not sacrifice tens of millions of dollars for a gm, even one as respected as Morey.

14. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

I think Harden is one of the top 10 most talented players ever. Individual talent doesn’t make a team. Even if he was the undisputed greatest ever you can’t reasonably expect Morey to go out and make the greatest team ever, like come on. Stars are harder to get than you think. CP was a top 10 player the first year we had him and we had the perfect mix of role players, that’s one of the best teams ever constructed imo and Morey did it. Anyone who thinks Morey has done a bad job really needs to calm down on what they expect from him

D-rock likes this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member