1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More 'stros dealing?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xiki, Dec 12, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

from Ken Rosenthal, http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1946444:

In the wake of the Pettitte signing, the Astros could trade RHP Tim Redding or LHP Jeriome Robertson, either individually or as part of a package with infielder Geoff Blum. The Astros have discussed Blum with the Astros and could target Pirates right-hander Kip Wells. The Pirates, however, are more willing to trade right-hander Kris Benson, who is owed $6.25 million next season and coming off a shoulder injury. If the Astros traded a starter, they would be left with a rotation of Pettitte, Roy Oswalt, Wade Miller, Redding or Robertson and possibly Carlos Hernandez, who is throwing well in Venezuela.

Insider: MLB talked about every available bat going every which way, but not a word referencing Hidalgo (or anything Astro, not related to Pettite).

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If we could get either Benson or Wells... I'd do that deal in a second.

They're both far superior to Redding and Robertson.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i second that...holy crap, that would be a good starting rotation.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

There is no way I see the Astros increasing payroll any more and adding Benson's $6.5 million to it. If anything I see them triming it.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I'm not familiar with Blum's salary, but by adding Benson's $6.5mill salary, could Drayton be attempting to increase the value of the team as greatly as fiscally possible (within reasonable constraint) in preparation for a sell next summer?

6. Buck Turgidson

Benson, when healthy, is better than Redding. Problem is, Benson is never healthy, and there's a good chance he never will be again.

Blum/Robertson for Wells, I'd do in a heartbeat.

In other news, DWard signed a minor league deal with the Pirates.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Tim Redding had a solid season last year and he's what, 25? He's finally developing into his potential. His W-L record was very misleading, he could have easily won 13-15 with better run support. I wouldn't give up on him so quickly.

8. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Not only would we get a new starter far superior to Robertson or Redding, but we get rid of the salary of Geoff Blum, who's out-played at the plate by Morgan Ensberg. This is like a Christmas present, if the Stros decide to open it...

9. MadMax

have we added so far??

pettitte makes $5 million next season...we traded away Wagner's $8 million and let 4 free agents go.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MadMax,

I remember hearing something a while back that Wagner's salary barely covers salary increases on Foxsports SW. Don't know how much "barely covers" is and how accurate those guys info was.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think Hidalgo and Bagwell's contracts will be higher this year. Oswalt, Miller, and Dotel will recieve raises in arbitration. I'm really not sure about the salary figures for the Astros, it would really help if their site had some info on this.

12. deepellumrocket

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

They haven't updated the salaries for next year, and they still have Orland Merced and Rick White on there.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Isn't Pettitte's contract this year only $5.5 million? ESPN has $11.5 million listed on their site. That would make our payroll only around $60 million (still #17 and bottom-half of the league, salary-wise).

ESPN has Kip Wells' salary at $370,000. Benson is at $4.3 million. Blum is at $1.5 million and Redding/Robertson are both at $300,000. Giving up Blum and either Benson/Robertson for Wells will REDUCE payroll salary, if ESPN is correct with their figures...

15. MadMax

yes...pettitte is in the $5 million range this year.

gerry just said on sportsradio that they're over where they wanted to be, but that they're also committed to winning this year.

16. Buck Turgidson

Those are all '03 numbers.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

They figure it's Kent and Biggio's last year..

18. rockets688

rockets688 Member

The Astros need to abandon the concept of "perennial contention" and go into a straight-up re-building period. The contracts of Biggio and Bagwell have left us bleeding, and the hasty bandage of a 2-year Kent contract has left us with yet another key player lost. Let's get a nice prospect team going and let the players develop.

19. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Ummm no. I don't want rebuilding years that I have been through with the Rockets and the Cowboys. They should put the best team they can out there.

20. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The only way the Pirates do a deal with the Astros for Kip Wells is if they get Redding and Taylor Buchholz + Blum.

Shoot, we would proably have to offer some more prospects too.