1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More questions about Loren Woods emotional stability.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Da Man, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maturity must matter to Woods
    By Dick Vitale
    SPECIAL TO ESPN.COM

July 16
    Last month during the NBA draft, it was Shock City when 7-foot-1 Loren Woods of Arizona was not drafted in the first round. Many people could not believe he didn't go until the Minnesota Timberwolves chose him in the second round with the 46th selection.

Many people questioned his physical status because he had back surgery at Arizona and his emotional stability, even though he played brilliantly during the Wildcats' run to the championship game before losing to Duke.

Will the real Loren Woods stand up? During his debut in a rookie summer league last Thursday, he was brilliant. He really dominated and scored 24 points. But in the second game Friday, it was deja vu for Woods, who showed the emotional side many have questioned. Playing against the rookies from Orlando, he threw a ball at Brendan Haywood, the center from North Carolina. Then in the fourth quarter, he got into an argument with an offical and was ejected.

Does Woods' behavior bring back memories? Think about his senior year, when he was suspended before playing Oregon State after having a verbal battle with Arizona coach Lute Olson during practice.

If these situations continue, Woods will not prevail and make it for the long run in the NBA. Growing up and learning how to handle his emotions will be important.

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not to try and make excuses for Woods, but does anyone know the circumstances under which these things happened? It seems like Vitale is only looking at one side of the story here. I'm sure Haywood had to do something to provoke such an action... I can't see Woods just randomly throwing the ball at him. Same with the officials. Officiating can be so poor and biased these days, and then when a player even says one word to them about it they get T'd up. Perhaps Bill Kennedy is working the summer leagues. [​IMG]

I can see how people would view this as a negative for Woods, don't get me wrong. But I wish they'd tell both sides of the story.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

If Woods can play well, and provide Minny with a solid starting Center, he will no doubt be the steal of this draft.

------------------
    The title will come to ClutchCity once again.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Danny Ainge threw a ball at the back of Mario Elie's head for no reason (except for the fact the Suns were losing).

------------------

5. Gen

Gen Member

Apparently Woods and Haywood got into a scuffle and Haywood shoved Woods onto the floor. Woods grabbed the ball and pegged Haywood with it. Then Tony Farmer tried to break up the fight and Woods got pissed at him too.

Woods and Haywood got double techs. Woods got ejected later for arguing a call.

It doesn't mean anything. How many Hall of Famers haven't been ejected or got into a fight? Jerry Sloan got ejected during warm-ups!

------------------
    "Homosexuals are just trying to make their sodomy as morally acceptable as the sodomy I enjoy in my church-sanctioned marriage."
    Frank Brodhagen, The Onion