1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montgom. County police buy Grand Theft Auto 3 to see if it influenced the sniper

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Are the police getting dumber than ****?!! :mad: :mad:

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...ID=388260&CategoryID=9045&show=localnews&om=1

Sniper probers look to games

Montgomery County detectives have reportedly bought violent video games in a search for any possible motive behind the sniper attacks that left 10 dead and three wounded in the region.

Montgomery County Police spokeswoman Lucille Baur would not confirm or deny a report that county detectives had bought violent games or movies in a search for clues.

Baur did say that among the tens of thousands of calls police received on the sniper case were tips citing violent movies and video games. She said that officers followed up on phone tips, but she could not say which tips were pursued or how many dealt with videos and movies.

But a clerk at the Circuit City store in Gaithersburg said a detective approached his sales counter about two weeks ago to buy a copy of "Grand Theft Auto 3,'' and that other clerks in the store had sold violent video games to people identifying themselves as police.

An official with the county police union said ``it would not be unusual" for investigators to follow the video lead, although he could not say if they had done so in this case.

``There's thousands of things that you do in the study of criminology and it would not be unusual,'' for investigators to look at video games, said Walt Bader, president of the Montgomery County Fraternal Order of Police. ``It sounds to me like that's what happened.

``It's certainly possible. You follow a lead just like everything else,'' Bader said. ``I'm sure, from an academic standpoint, those things are being looked at.''

Tim Momyer said that at least one of the things being looked at is ``Grand Theft Auto 3,'' a PlayStation 2 game that lets players use a sniper rifle to shoot people, among other virtual acts of violence.

Momyer, a sales associate at the Circuit City store on Quince Orchard Road, said a Montgomery County detective came to buy a copy of the video game about two weeks ago. He described the buyer as a white male wearing a faded navy-blue shirt that said ``Montgomery County Police" on it.

Momyer said the man wore a badge near his waist and said he was a county police detective who was going to study the game to see if the sniper was ``using the game and being sick enough to re-enact the game.'' Momyer said the man said he could not give a phone number or address.

He said other clerks at the store had also sold copies of violent video games to customers claiming to be police detectives working on the sniper case.

In ``Grand Theft Auto 3," once a player acquires a rifle, he can shoot people walking along city streets and in parks, including police officers. When a player uses the rifle, the video screen turns into a rifle scope with crosshairs. The player shoots, the rifle recoils as the shot is heard and -- if hit -- the target falls to the ground dead.

``You're almost like a sniper in the video game,'' Momyer said. ``You take people out on the streets.''

The manufacturer says more than 6 million copies of ``Grand Theft Auto 3`` have been sold since its release in October 2001, grossing over $250 million, the highest-grossing PlayStation 2 game to date. A newer version of the game was released Tuesday.

The game gained attention when it got a ``dishonorable mention`` on the annual Video Game Violence Report by Sens. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., and Herb Kohl, D-Wisc. The report said the game is not recommended for children of any age because of its ``extreme violence ... the ability to cause fear, illegal/harmful behavior, disrespectful language, sexual content, as well as some nudity.''

``This game is the fantasy of a bunch of young guys,'' said David Walsh, president of the National Institute on Media and the Family, which sponsored the game report. ``It's a fraternity house fantasy and clearly inappropriate.''

Rockstar Games, which publishes the Grand Theft Auto series, said the game is clearly marked with a ``mature" rating by the Entertainment Software Rating Board, for blood, strong language and violence. It is recommended only for those 17 and older.

Walsh said that given the nature of Grand Theft Auto 3, the police were ``prudent" to follow up on the leads. He noted that one clue in the sniper investigation was a tarot card with the words, ``I am God.''

``Gamers will often say `I am God,' which was on the card,'' Walsh said.

``They were smart to follow up on the possibility that the snipers were gamers because games like that mimic the kinds of actions the snipers were taking.''

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Damn, couldn't they have asked them if they had played the game or gone to their house or apartment to see if it was there? The sniper strikes me as a little too old to be part of the video game generation. Here's a crazy thought, didn't this guy learn to shoot in the military? Hmm, now the missing ingredient is the part where he decides to hold Maryland hostage and demand 10 million dollars to stop. I havn't played GTA 3 in a while, but that was never part of the game. That makes me think that maybe, just maybe, he's entirely responsible for these murders himself.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

They should investigate this, but honestly, keep the investigation and results confidential. It's common sense that this is going to make them look like idiots.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I just beat the hell out of the Lakers last night in NBA2K3. I AM GOD!!!!!

:confused: :rolleyes:

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

another case of blaming an object for the actions of the individual.

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Yeah, but if there is some validity to the connection, I wished they would have bought "Frogger" instead.

*SQUISH*

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

They were also talking about its relation to Counterstrike, and how you can use a sniper rifle in that game.

Personally, I think they are drawing at some VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY thin straws.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This makes me sick.

They blame us for everything....it is all the fault of video games....

What a fricken joke...how do you explain Hitler, or Stalin, or Jack the Ripper?

What video games were they playing that caused them to go insane and kill people?

**** happens......

Maybe the police wanted to get a copy at the companies expense.

DaDakota

9. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Mongomery County should buy the American media...that's who influences psychos like these the most.

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

They stole my idea from last month! Those bastards!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

PS.

It is NOT easy to shoot with the sniper rifle in GTA3 at least not on a PS2, it is easy with a PC and mouse....

:)

DaDakota

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what me and my friends say when playing Madden.

"I am God."

What a complete idiot.....I feel sorry for him. Maybe if I watch the VeggieTales movie tonight I will supress the evil that the Playstation has planted in me.

13. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

How about Halo? There's a sniper rifle in that game.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Oh here we go kids...hang onto your controller pads. GTA3 has sold MILLIONS of copies...two jackasses go on a killing spree and now it HAS to be the fault of this game. Forget about the millions who have played this game for what it is and now live productive lives. Nope the game is to blame, the game is evil...the game must be banned. That's where this is leading. It's disturbing.

If this kind of thinking were around in the mid 80s, Frogger would have been to blame when a kid got hit by a car and Pac-Man would be to blame for overeating. :rolleyes:

15. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I have a friend that whenever he's on a killing spree...he starts saying things like "i am God"...so maybe he's the next sniper???

what a f***ing joke.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Did ya'll read the same article I just read -- the one that started this thread? If so, where do you see them blaming video games? I do see where is says:

The police have arrested two guys for multiple murders and they have to build a case to prosecute them. One element of the investigation that case requires is finding a motive for starting the spree in the first place. So, they are pursuing the video game angle to flesh out the possibility of that motive. I don't see anything wrong or stupid about it.

Blaming video games is the last thing the cops want to do anyway. Putting blame on video games shifts some blame off the perpetrators, which they obviously do not want to do. More likely, they are looking simply for the inspiration, not the agent, in these crimes.

As far as seeing if they actually had these games to be exposed to, as Oski's suggested, I would suspect they already have found that connection which led them to explore the content of the games the two may have played. Btw, Muhammad may not be in the right generation for games like GTA, but Malvo is.

17. Refman

It is using games as a scapegoat in deriving a motive. As soon as they say "these guys were playing GTA3," go ahead and assume that your copy of the game will become a collector's edition - because they'll get it banned ASAP. They do these things all the time. In Peducah, KY it was Doom...now it's GTA3. It's a scapegoat.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think you are jumping to conclusions. Will there be people saying GTA caused these murders and even that it should be banned. Yes, of course; they started that when the games first came out. Are the Montgomery County police detectives trying to make GTA into a scapegoat and get it banned? No, don't be paranoid. They have no interest in the game; they have an interest in a conviction.

Btw, I don't know what incident you're referring to in the banning of Doom in Boondocks, KY, but I don't think there is any imminent danger -- besides bad press (which is always good for business) -- to the Grand Theft Auto series.

19. Refman

In 1998 a high school student in Pedukah, KY went to school and shot several of his classmates. During the media frenzy it became noted that the shooter had spent a significant amount of time playing Doom. After that...people and some lawmakers (including Sen. Joe Lieberman) started calling for the banning of it and any games of its type.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm not for the banning of the game...but the case for banning it was really kinda chilling...that kid picked off students one shot at a time...head shots...not the insane kind of unloading the cartridge...perfect head shots killing each student...the military had the creators of doom create a game to train with...again, i'm not for banning the game, but i certainly get the point.