1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MMA] Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem set for Dec. 30

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheDreams, Sep 6, 2011.

1. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

2. BP0803

BP0803 Member

Good fight but I think Overeem wins by KO

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Oh yeahhhh. When is Cain going to fight?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Holy crap yes

5. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

depends on which lesnar comes in. he has been dealing with that serious illness

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

^ Yeah, Brock literally had a foot of his lower intestine cut out -- I can't imagine he'll ever be 100% again.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lesnar by wrestle**** maybe

Don't know what will happen with this one

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If there's one person I'd pull for Lesnar beating, it's Overeem, but.... I'm not sure I see it happening. Lesnar just ain't Lesnar anymore from the looks of it.

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

The only chance Lesnar has...is not getting punched in the face.

If he can avoid that...he wins.

10. Crudder

Crudder Member

Even if Lesnar was the Lesnar of old, I still don't think he would beat Overeem, who I would rank as a significantly better fighter overall. Either way, Lesnar isn't like he used to be so I'm guessing Overeem knees him to submission.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Pretty much that, if Lesnar gets a takedown, he will pretty much control the hell out of Overeem (who will most likely gas faster on the ground) for the win. But if Lesnar gets hit first, he will breakdance, then turtle against the cage and then Overeem TKO's him Cain style.

12. justtxyank

Man, I give Brock a lot of credit. Guy has had a very short career and in that time has faced a who's who of heavyweights: Mir x2, Couture, Herring, Velasquez, Carwin, now Overeem...

I know people never liked how he got to the title, but wow has he faced a bevy of heavy hitters in the MMA heavyweight division.

Hard fight for me to call because too many x-factors.

-Is Brock going to be even close to 100%?
    -How much will ring rust impact Brock?
    -Is Brock's "fear of being hit" a fluke thing from his last two fights or a real weakness?
    -What will Overeem be like with consistent US piss testing?
    -How much of Overeem's stock is built on weaker competition?

Yikes.

Can't wait to see this fight!

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Wouldn't it have been better for Brock to face a lesser ranked heavyweight in his return so he could get the rust out and not have any excuses(save his major illness) when he fights Overeem?

I love the matchup but I think they should have set Brock up with maybe a rematch with Carwin, or a fight with Big Nog.(The latter most likely being an easier fight than the former).

14. Asian Sensation

I'm a Lesnar fan but I think Overeem is going to make him start break dancing again.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'm pulling for Lesnar, but , honestly I didn't even know he was coming back.

16. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

This is a decent and very winnable match up for an in-shape and in-prime Brock. If he comes in anything close to his condition for the Cain fight he could pull off the win with wrestling and smothering top control. But, if he looks like a guy that just came off surgery and a year without fighting, it could be bad considering it's a 5 rounder.

17. Asian Sensation

NO. No it wouldn't have.

There's absolutely no reason to NOT have this fight happen from an MMA's fan standpoint and especially from a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ standpoint. If you have a chance to put 2 of the most recognizable/biggest Heavyweight's currently against each other you absolutely have to take advantage of it. This is on par with the other super fights that were supposed to happen that never happened such as Pacman vs. Money, Lesnar vs. Fedor etc. You can't risk losing any more luster to the fight by throwing Overeem or Lesnar a lesser opponent and having them lose. This is going to be the biggest fight ever literally. Whether it lives up to the hype or not remains to be seen but this event will set the record for most PPV buys.

18. lean

lean Member

This is why I <3 the UFC. Always putting on the matches people want to see. How long has the MMA community been pining to see Brock face Overeem? (or Fedor, but he isn't really in position to face Brock at this point) Props to Dana and Joe Silva, I'm looking forward to this one...

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I hear what you're saying. It's a fight I and obviously all of us on here and MMA fans around the world want to see. I just think it might be better for Brock to get his fighting legs back against someone like Big Nog then turn to Overeem but meh. The fight's set so bring it on.

20. justtxyank

The match makes sense because Brock only has 1 fight left on his contract. Disaster for Dana would be Brock coming back against a lower level guy and lose, killing his big payday generator.

This way Brock comes back and he either helps turn Overeem into a cash cow or he re-establishes himself.