1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ming/Griff vs Sampson/Hakeem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is the Sampson/Hakeem comparison the UPSIDE

I see Ming/Griff more compariable to the original Twin Towers
    than Duncan/Robinson.

Athletic BIG MAN. . .and Versatal 6'10 guy.
    I think MoT/KT is an upgrade to Peterson

Let's look at the '86 Rockets
    HAKEEM OLAJUWON 34 Center 6-11 250 22 1984
    RALPH SAMPSON 50 Forward/Center 7-4 230 25 1983
    LEWIS LLOYD 32 Forward 6-6 205 26 1981
    JOHN LUCAS 5 Point Guard 6-3 175 31 1976
    ROBERT REID 33 Forward 6-8 205 30 1977
    RODNEY MCCRAY 22 Small Forward 6-8 235 24 1983
    ALLEN LEAVELL 30 Guard 6-2 190 28 1979
    MITCHELL WIGGINS 15 Guard 6-4 185 26 1983
    JIM PETERSEN 43 Forward/Center 6-10 235 23 1984
    STEVE HARRIS 20 Guard 6-5 195 21 1985
    HANK MCDOWELL 8 Forward 6-9 215 25 1981
    CRAIG EHLO 3 Guard 6-7 185 24 1983
    GRANVILLE WAITERS 31 Center 6-11 225 24 1983

Hakeem, Sampson, LLoyd, Lucas, Reid [or did McCray start?]
    vs
    Griffen, Ming, [KT,MOT,Rice], Mobley, Francis

NOW THAT IS A GAME!
    [bench for us - Cato, Tmo, #15, Moochie, Collier]

Rocket River

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's not a game...that's a rout....

the current rockets fall short of the playoffs

the 86 Rocket squad got to the NBA Finals beating one of the greatest teams in the history of the game and matching up with arguably the best single season team ever in the Celts that year.

even if it looks to you to be a game on paper...it doesn't to me...games aren't played on paper....the chemistry the 86 squad had was remarkable.

3. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

A show of fisticuffs between Griff and a young Akeem would be classic though :)

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess that is the point
    The young Rockets of NOW definately have ALOT of skill
    but no experience. .and maybe even not as much chemistry
    as they think

If they can gel like we did in 86. . . definately will be a great squad

Rocket River

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hope so!!! That would be great!!!

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dead on, MadMax! A rout... but like you said, Rocket River, if the current team (healthy) plus Ming and whoever else we end up getting this summer gel- look out!

7. PitydaFoo

PitydaFoo Contributing Member

I think what worries me and most other Rockets fans nowadays is that having "good chemistry" is not as easy as it sounds, especially on a team that is run more by the players than by the coaching (Ok, 2 players). Talent is certainly not a problem; we can see that the Rockets are full of young talent. However, that 86 team not only had talent, but they also had a much more flowing offense.
    I'm not really sure how both Yao Ming and Eddie Griffin will develop their respective games...I have a feeling it will depend mostly on if Cuttino is willing to give up the ball (and maybe part of his big ego as well).

8. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Talent-wise, I'd have to take the '86 team. Akeem was hard enough to defend, but what about Sampson? Sampson would've been one of the greats if he stayed healthy. How do you defend a guy his height with his skills? Ralph Sampson in those days was something unreal. Until Ming develops into something where he can cause matchup problems, the current team is not even close.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's funny how time changes the perception of people. Ralph Sampson was one of the most vilified players in Rockets history. He never lived up to the expectations everyone had of him coming out of college (no fault of his own, really). Ralph had good numbers, but he was inconsistent and that irritated people. He would let people who were far less talented outrebound and outscore him. He was often criticized for having no heart and choking at the worst times. As for how hard it was to defend him, it never seemed as hard as it should be. He was content popping 15-18 footers all day at 7-4. I've seen poing and shooting guards block his shots. I felt sorry for the guy, to be honest. He's one of those woulda, choulda, shoulda stories...