1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miles developing very quickly

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MManal, Jan 25, 2001.

1. MManal

MManal Member

Anyone else noticed how quickly Darius Miles is transitioning into the NBA game? I expected him to take a couple of yrs to develop his outside shot and add some more bulk before he could start contributing and playing major minutes but these areas are not preventing him from getting significant PT. He finds other ways to contribute ie. defense and shot blocking, finishing on the break and off feeds and providing solid rebounding contributions.

Rudy T was drooling all over this kid at draft time but could not quite engineer the necessary package to move up enough spots. I am very surprised at how many minutes he is already getting; he is transitioning a lot quicker than Garnett and Bryant did. Miles plays a similar game to Tracy McGrady but has better physical talents than him (longer arms, taller, etc) and should be one of the top players in this league once he develops his jump shot.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

2. Steve_Francis_rules

He could probably reach that all-star level in about 3-4 years.

------------------

3. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I was pretty sure Miles would be getting a decent amount of minutes, especially since before the season Gentry was talking a lot about playing him alongside Odom--not just backing up at the 3 but playing some 2 and 4 as well...I didn't expect him to contribute as thoroughly as he has, though. Needs to work on those free throws...

------------------

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Have you seen Quintin and Keyon play this season? They play like veterans. The Clips had a hell of a draft. Keeping these guys together is another story.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

There starting lineup has great potential.

C-Kandi(Sigh..., he is still a good role center though)
    PF-Odom(more of a 3, but at 6-10 he can play here.
    SF-Miles
    SG-Richardson
    PG-Dooling

Add some veteran additions off the bench, lose sterling, and theyre headed to the playoffs in 4-5 years, maybe less.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

True, but they will still get a butt whooping by the Rockets.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Maybe sooner.

Mango

------------------
    We neeed more threads about Dream!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

8. Steve_Francis_rules

Even Olawakandi has some potential. You have to remember that he hasn't been playing seriously competitive basketball very long. He played college ball in a small conference that probably didn't have much competition, and I don't think he grew up playing basketball.

------------------

9. Hydra

Hydra Member

Kandi did not play basketball until he enrolled at the University of the Pacific. He dominated the Big West conference and thus was drafted first. He does not have the skills yet to contribute much to an NBA team, but he has the potential to be good some day.

------------------
    Don't come in Bullard's house!

10. MManal

MManal Member

Miles should be able to ascend into top 20 ranks relatively quickly, and Dooling and Richardson were excellent draft choices as BobFinn pointed out. I really liked Richardson's game at DePaul and felt he received a lot of unnecessary question marks that caused his draft stock to fall. Quentin plays very similarly to another young player who I think will be a stud, Bonzi Wells. Both guys are very good in the post, rebound well and have that big power guard frame. What I like about them as opposed to someone like Isaiah Rider is that they make their move or kick it out, none of that back it in back it in kill the offense stuff.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

11. Steve_Francis_rules

I like that comparison between Richardson and Wells. Bonzi has definitely started developing into a stud this year.

------------------

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Estimated time frame for him to be a top 20 player?

Mango

------------------
    We neeed more threads about Dream!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I like Kandi, and like to think that he could turn into a really good player, but dont see it happening.

this season- 7ppg, 6, rpg(not bad), 1 bpg.

That is for a third year player who was expected to put up better numbers than these in his First season.

I think that he will turn into a pretty good starter, but not the star that many expected him to be.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

14. Steve_Francis_rules

Actually, I no longer think Miles will ever develop into a very good player because he will probably be killed in a gang related incident anyday now. [​IMG]

------------------

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

vj,

Kandi would have much better numbers on another team. He very rarely sees the ball. With Odom, Miles, Quinten, Piatkowski, there are very few shots left for Kandi man. When they have gone to him this season, he has put up good numbers.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

16. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

If you're the Clippers, what do you do about Odom and Miles in a few years? Assuming you can convince them not to jump ship (which is not as probable now as before since the Clips are <gasp> actually making progress) where do you play them longterm? I can see some of the eroding of traditional positioning that others on this BBS have brought up, but what do you guys think?

------------------

17. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Kandiman shoots only 43% from the field, he rarely gets to the line and doesn't even play half the game. He may be an adequate center one day, but not a very good one.

Miles, on the other hand, has already made his way into the starting line-up @ forward. The kiddie corps might be something special, until they all leave via free agency.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

18. Steve_Francis_rules

It is way too early to say that Olawakandi can never develop into a good center. Sure he won't be a superstar most likely, but because the league is so weak at the center position, he could become one of the better centers in the league. Who would have thought, seeing Theo Ratliff as a rookie that he would develop into one of the top centers in the east.

------------------