1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Migrants Not Responsible For Spike In Crime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 4, 2024.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/migrants-driving-surge-violent-crime/story?id=108761192

[​IMG]

No, migrants are not driving a surge in violent crime as Trump claims
    Research shows crime has broadly declined in recent years.

By
    Quinn Owen
    April 3, 2024, 1:37 PM ET
    • 5 min read
    Donald Trump – who disagree with President Joe Biden's immigration policies paint a dire picture of America as a country ruined by crime committed by migrants living illegally in the U.S.

It is true that some people who have committed the misdemeanor of crossing the border illegally have gone on to commit much more serious crimes. Trump has repeatedly attempted to put a national spotlight on these cases, including some gruesome murders.

MORE: ICE singles out 'sanctuary cities' after Laken Riley's killing as they announce separate migrant arrests
    However, like other claims the former president makes, his stories of what he calls "migrant crime" can be heavily skewed, exaggerated and fuel a baseless narrative.

Trump's anecdotal accounts do not acknowledge the fact that U.S. citizens commit crimes at higher rates than undocumented immigrants.

MORE: Trump doubles down on warnings of 'migrant crime' in border speech
    "Relative to undocumented immigrants, U.S.-born citizens are over 2 times more likely to be arrested for violent crimes, 2.5 times more likely to be arrested for drug crimes, and over 4 times more likely to be arrested for property crimes," according to a 2020 study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

MORE: Ruby Garcia's family disputes that Trump spoke with them after he used her name at event
    Overall, nationwide crime declined in 2023, according to the FBI. Homicide declined by 13% compared to 2022, the data show. The declining crime rate followed an unprecedented spike in homicides from 2019 to 2020.

MORE: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals decision blocks enforcement of strict Texas immigration law SB4
    While it is unclear how crime rates in 2024 will ultimately pan out, early data shows murder is down 20% his year, according to Jeff Asher, a data analyst and co-founder of the firm AH Datalytics.

MORE: 'We are doubling down': Attorney General Garland announces new initiatives to combat violent crime
    Further research shows Trump's presidency did not result in more arrests of immigrants living in the U.S. illegally.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crime isn't even spiking. It's a stupid claim.

dobro1229 likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

But it was when the study was done

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The article talked about how the crime rate has been declining. The murder rate this year is down about 20%.

Of course the decline in crime rate in places like New York correlates with the arrival of large numbers of immigrants.

Correlation doesn't equal causation, but it is worth noting.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

IRISH NEED NOT APPLY

6. astros123

astros123 Member

No it literally wasn't. Crime has been down back to back years

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The comparison study is from 2020 statistics. The referenced decline is from 2023

@astros123

I wouldn't call you a liberal but, that being said Democrats can be tough on crime and still liberal.

They won't loose black voters

#7 pgabriel, Apr 4, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@FranchiseBlade
    @astros123

To Blade In particular I regret some things I have said about the cycle of poverty and broken homes in recent years but not everything.

That being said Democrats need to take back the crime narrative from its liberal black part of the base

I really don't know how bad crime is in general. Most people never face serious violations from criminals. Some kids did fracture my jaw while robbing me seven years ago and I'm still good with the overall state of affairs.

America is bad compared to other wealthy nations and regardless of reasons its mostly young black males

When pushing the spread of wealth, still acknowledge that it's young black males. It would go a long way

astros123 likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

2023 was down from 2022. The murder rate this year is already down even further.

Under the rule of Democrats the rate has been decreasing.

astros123 likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm talking rhetoric. Crime is down from the bad Covid spike.

Edit: I didn't start this thread to talk black crime. I think the Latin criminals talk is very racist

I'm very happy guys like @Commodore have been proven wrong. It's really a terrible reflection the Republican base that this is what gets them to the polls.

Again I'm not bothered by the current state of crime. I just hate Democrats tiptoing around Black voters and your dismissal of this article in terms of overall crime reminds me of that.

Crime may or may not be bad but it's bad for a wealthy nation

#10 pgabriel, Apr 4, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

there is no spike in crime, so wtf is this thread title even talking about…

and quite frankly, all the fear mongering about crime got past the point of being pathetic a very long time ago

sorry, but I don’t walk around thinking every major city is some crime fest and it’s only a matter of time before I get assaulted, robbed, or killed…any one with street smarts and an ounce of common sense will be fine the vast majority of the time

Houston gets talked about like it’s a crime ridden hellscape, yet the amount of times I’ve felt “unsafe” in all my decades of life I could count on one hand

I lived in Chicago for a little while in the past, and was fine

Los Angeles was fine too…the main issue was the homeless which are harmless for the most part, but they’re more of the “severely untreated psychotic” type of homeless than the “I’m just down on my luck and can’t afford a place to live” homeless…still mostly harmless and easily ignored

12. Xopher

Xopher Member

But we are U.S. citizens! We should be able to do all the crimes we want to!

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually if you click through you'll see the 2024 article is referencing a study done in 2020 with a data window of 2012 to 2018 (in Texas). So the study doesn't at all consider the covid crime spike nor the decline from the covid crime spike. I would say even though Trump is a dumbass making up crap, the study is only tangentially related to the stuff Trump is talking about.

As for liberal bonafides, I'm not worried about whether black voters will like me. I just think prevailing tough-on-crime attitudes are misguided and self-defeating.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just spent two years doing contract work in NYC living in a long Island right next to Queens. Walked so many nights by myself or with friends at the most random times at night in the heart of Queens and one thing I've always felt was the sense of never feeling alone or scared. It's so vibrant, so many people doing their thing, not once do you feel scared or threatened. Extremely safe place to live from my experience. Just too many people around to feel scared.

Maybe that's a personality thing. For some people, too many brown people around them can scare them instead of feeling a sense of security.

#14 fchowd0311, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    adoo and astros123 like this.
  15. astros123

astros123 Member

Crime in New York has dramatically fallen in the past 2 Years and is at pre pandemic levels. It's not just you "feeling it" but it's literally facts

#15 astros123, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. astros123

astros123 Member

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As far as what **** is up with the thread title, it's just the title of the ****ing story so ****ing take it up with ABC13

Are you denying the covid crime spike? Seriously?

As far as Houston crime
    With a crime rate of 57 per one thousand residents, Houston has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 17.[/]

Houston, TX Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/houston/crime.amp

Lastly I started this thread to talk about the false narrative of migrants and

I regret things have said about in the past about Blacks and these, a large reason is you in particular called me about not doing **** to help. You don't know the half.

I don't regret everything, but regardless, THATS NOT WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Good Lord the thread is about migrants.

I can't believe everyone is so triggered by talk of crime. I don't give a **** about crime either, America is bad compared to other industrialized nations but yes, a large partnof the issues people have with crime is theb24 hour news cycle

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thank you for clarification on the data, I apologize to everyone for not thoroughly reading. I was just trusting the story.

I just think Democrats are trying to hard to appease Black's in talking about crime.

Luke the denial of a covid crime spike. There are issues with the criminal justice system and policing. Agreed. That doesn't mean you have to not talk about

I linked you in thar other on HPD chief saying the major story in Houston about putting polce cases on hold on hold was not enough police, your issue with candidate Whitmire wanting more police.

That represents what I'm talking about, we don't have enough police to investigate sexual assaults,

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I never mentioned anything about a covid crime spike, and Idc about the surge in crime during the pandemic when the pandemic ended long ago and crime has been steadily decreasing the past several years…

but y’all won’t talk about the steady decrease in crime, because y’all love to fear monger and post BS for agendas

“covid crime spike” is irrelevant to me in the year 2024

don’t give a damn about that “57 per 1000” when it comes to Houston either…like I said, I can count the number of times I’ve felt “unsafe” on one hand…y’all love to hype up crime and try so desperately to make feel people that the second they step outside they’re liable to get beaten, mugged, or killed

this immigrant crime narrative is just the latest fear monger tactic…genuine discourse is no longer a thing

astros123 likes this.