1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Might as well start the discussion early: Yao for MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DVauthrin, Dec 5, 2006.

Tags:
  1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Yao's stats:

25.6 PPG: 12th in NBA
    .528 FG% on 17 shots per game
    1.81 blocks per game: 18th in NBA
    9.8 rbs per game: 14th in NBA
    .849 FPCT
    7 double doubles(tied for 16th)
    26.2 efficiency rating-5th in NBA

I have yet to see a more dominant player this season, and at minimum if he stays healthy, he will finish top 3 in the voting the way he is playing. He had 17 points in the 1st 8:30 tonight. He could have hung 50-60 on GS if so inclined.

2. bubbachuck

bubbachuck Member

The discussion is still early, but if Yao keeps performancing monsterly and brings Rockets to nearly 60 wins, MVP is what he deserves.

For now, it is still a long way to go. 65 games to go!!!

3. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

too early for a serious discussion

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wade will have the inside track due in no small part to his performance last year.

5. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

They are HOLDIN the CHINAMAN  down!!!

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

It isn't too early to say that Yao is in the running.

7. tsunami

tsunami Member

Way too early, and also I don't think he is qualified for the trophy yet. Dirk, Boozer, etc. are still miles ahead of him. By the way, Rockets should at least pass the 1st round in playoffs, which they have been failed in the past 10 seasons.

8. James23

James23 Member

It's too early to discuss this; it has only been a month of basketball. But, I will say if Yao can keep playing like he did against the Warriors tonight and the Rockets wins 55 games. He, no doubt, will finish in the top 3 in MVP voting.

9. YaoFan

YaoFan Contributing Member

What happened to Yao Ming's rebounds?

10. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yes, Yao for MVP. I don't think it's too early to discuss because Yao WILL keep this up. Yao has arrived - a long time ago actually. He averaged 26/12 after the All-Star Break last year, and he's carrying it over to this season. After Yao averages 26/10 this season and the Rockets win at least 55, he has to be in the top 3. It would be a travesty, a sham, and a mockery otherwise. It would be a trave-sham-ockery. Seriously.

11. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I think Yao's chances for winning MVP depend on how TMac does. If TMac gets on track scoring wise, and averages 23+ ppg, 7 apg.. then I doubt you could say Yao is the most valuable player for the rockets.

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I have a feeling that when it comes to voting time people will say...

"Yao's been incredible this year, but he's still gotta get better at _____________ and _____________ before he should be in serious contention for the MVP. You also can't discount the fact that he's getting a lot of help from a guy named Tracy McGrady who just happens to be one of the best swingmen in the entire league."

Of course the problem here is I bet the same people will say this after spending the entire season saying how Tracy isn't anywhere near the player he used to be. In other words, I've got a feeling that a lot of voters will use Tracy as a way to diminish Yao's accomplishments, whether they truly think McGrady is that good or not.

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It's obvious when watching the games their roles have completely reversed. In fact, T-Mac up until tonight has really struggled for the most part this season. But I can see some idiot voters thinking that, if they don't watch the games.

14. yaoistall

yaoistall Member

"I have a feeling that when it comes to voting time people will say...

"Yao's been incredible this year, but he's still gotta get better at _____________ and _____________ before he should be in serious contention for the MVP. You also can't discount the fact that he's getting a lot of help from a guy named Tracy McGrady who just happens to be one of the best swingmen in the entire league."

Of course the problem here is I bet the same people will say this after spending the entire season saying how Tracy isn't anywhere near the player he used to be. In other words, I've got a feeling that a lot of voters will use Tracy as a way to diminish Yao's accomplishments, whether they truly think McGrady is that good or not."

You can book it now. This is EXACTLY what would happen. However, the success of the Rockets is more important than individual accolades. If the Rocks are going anywhere McGrady will have to be in good form.

Here's to Yao and McGrady both being in the talks for MVP.

15. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Yao is worthy, but won't get the votes.

16. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I can see it now.....

Dirk Nowitzki wins the MVP Award

The Rockets and Mavs meet in the WCF

Dirk is presented with the MVP trophy before game 1

Yao Ming tells his team in the huddle, "That flopper has my trophy."

Yao Ming dominates the series, and carries the Rockets to the NBA Finals

The Rockets win the NBA Finals, and Yao becomes the Finals MVP.

#16 JuLiO-R-, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  17. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Ahahha excellent! Does history repeat itself?

Yao: "He's borrowing my trophy."
    McGrady: "I ain't ever heard Yao talk no mess."

18. ShakeYoHipsYao

Yao certainly needs work in some areas before he can seriously be considered for MVP (dealing with the double team, offensive rebounding to name 2 areas), but tonight boosted his case for the trophy tremendously.

I doubt he wins it this year. Maybe top 3. Probobly not. But he's getting better every year. Hell, every game!

Have some patience, Yao fans. Our boy's time will come.

19. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Yes, still a long way to go, I am holding out for TMac to really step up around mid-season and into crunch time, so he will get MVP.

If not, Yao is a fine alternative :)

20. CDogg

CDogg Rookie

Chucky took them ;)