1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're missing the fundamentals of voting. Missing your chance to vote is a very poor excuse. If someone truly cares about voting, they are not going to let procrastination be the reason. Voting is not a spontaneous event. Whatever your states requirements are, know them. If a person can't make a 5 minute call to know the requirements or changes between the 2 years of each election and get everything in order before election day, then their vote is probably not very important to the well being of the country anyways.

There are many ****ed up issues with our voting system
    -All US residents should be allowed to vote. ALL. Including felons. Anyone who is not on the path of citzenship should not be allowed to vote in federal elections.
    -All ballots should be party neutral. Any affiliation markings with a party should be left off a ballot. This would end the "closed primary elections" This is a crock of ****.
    -Registration should be formalized across the nation. A central database should be kept that will allow a person to easily identify what elections they are allowed to vote in. If you move from one state to another and forget to change, the person still should be allowed to vote for President. Essentially you could walk up to any voting station in America and still have access to vote in some form or fashion. If you want to cast your full voting potential, then you need to be at the voting station that represents your Federal, State, County and local candidates.
    -We need to take a serious look at a distributive ledger voting system (online system). We are in the 21st century. Self driving cars, man on the moon, instant communication. But I have no way to verify if my vote was actually registered. That is absurd.

krnxsnoopy, B-Bob and mtbrays like this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really like your zeal for voting! It's absurd that we treat our disjointed national voting system as "too hard" to fix.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

A new President always loses seats during their first midterm, and people from both sides will most certainly read too much into that. The GOP is just lucky that the 6-year Senate election cycle will allow them to keep the Senate, because they almost certainly will lose the House.... which will give us two years of political gridlock as a precursor to our upcoming recession that will seal Trump's loss in the 2020 election. Then in 2022 we'll have a swing right back in the other direction.

'Tis the vicious cycle of the two-party system.

Andre0087, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is one post of yours I actually agree with.

Looking forward to the gridlock in 2019. However, I expect the lame duck congress late this year to be very active.

If the Dems nominate a legitimate leader instead of just a knee-jerk reactionary to our current piece of trash, 2020 will be brutal to Republicans (as it should be). I still don't believe Trump will run again in 2020.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hopefully the MO voters will weed out candidates like this...

Missouri state GOP candidate as a radio host once said ‘Hitler was right’
    http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...i-state-house-race-once-said-hitler-was-right

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I wouldn't wish a gridlock if you fear Trump's executive decisions.

7. NewRoxFan

Oops...

Oops...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

is Miami university the same as the university of miami, home to Ray Lewis and Enrique Iglesias?

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No this is in Ohio, not Florida.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I don't necessarily disagree but I will point out that I live in the state that consistently has the highest voter turnout in the US. I would like to at least give some credit to the state's success in voter turnout to the ease of voting even if there are other factors at play. There are a wide variety reasons why Minnesota has 25% higher voter turnout than Texas in presidential years but ONE of them is ease of voting.

But what you outline is also important as well. On the last point, I will say that all states have ledgers of who voted, that information is just not publicly shared and if you want it, you usually have to pay a large amount of money to the secretary of state.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely agree. Ease of vote is wide encompassing subject. I move pretty often which requires me to re-register each time. I know on two occasions in which I registered (both times filling out forms) and they were never submitted. Yes, I should have followed up before hand however there needs to be a better way.
    Another issue is the ease of finding information on candidates and getting the information on the importance of each race. When it comes to the President, sure, there is plenty of information out there. However state and local officials have the biggest impact on individuals and currently it requires more effort than what most people are willing to go through to actually understand the pro's and con's to a candidate.

The more important aspect is knowing your vote was counted and counted correctly. If there is a way to verify, its very difficult. Not that everyones voting record should be public to all, however it should be easy for me to verify.

12. NewRoxFan

13. NewRoxFan

Having a racist on her bus tour is her "hook" to get people interested?

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You have to give Kaine credit. He's aged incredibly well for being 120 years old.

B-Bob, NewRoxFan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

in June

in early Aug
    Sen Claire McCaskill of Mo claimed that her campaign was the target of a hack
    15 Aug
    Sen Bill Nelson claimed that Florida's electoral security has been breached by Russian hackers.

on 21 Aug
    Microsoft said it has uncovered new Russian hacking attempts targeting US political groups ahead of the midterm election.

The company said that a hacking group tied to the Russian government created fake internet domains that appeared to spoof two American conservative organizations who have been critical of the Putin / Trump connection:

the Hudson Institute and the International Republican Institute
    Three other fake domains were designed to look as if they belonged to the U.S. Senate.

http://time.com/5372997/microsoft-russian-hacking-midterms-elections/

#75 adoo, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

@Space Ghost One of the better conservative posters on the site. I agree with alot of what you said.

Regarding the part I highlighted in bold; unfortunately too much of the population is uneducated, illiterate, or simply ignorant; to do the necessary legwork to vote in this country.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not surprising that she's swinging for the fences, she's down 8 points in the Republican primary that goes to voters in a week behind Martha McSally. Politicians do stupid things when they are desperate.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Even though that was an option, I never used it. I wanted to make sure my vote went to the right person. I don't agree with people voting like that anyway. Not saying there's a errpublican I'd vote for currently but I want to leave open the possibility of changing my mind at the last moment.

20. NewRoxFan