1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mets @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

this inning has been complete shambles.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Keep giving away the game...

3. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Wow only 1 run given up,that inning could have been 10 times worse.

LETS GO STROS! RALLY TIME!

4. Major

Major Member

Well, another streak ends... We hadn't given up more than 4 runs in any game since the ASB.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Lets forget about the streaks and hopefully pull this one out this inning or bottom of the 9th again. I want to sweep these guys bad....considering the Cubs are getting blown out as well.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Phil Garner makes some of the most bizarre moves I've ever seen. Palmeiro is available as a PH, Burke has done absolutely nothing, Palmeiro got a hit vs. Hernandez the other night... and Garner leaves Palmeiro on the bench. Even if he wanted to save Palmeiro for the pitchers spot (where he's batting now) why not PH Willy for Burke?

You have six outs left to avoid losing. To waste one of those outs with Burke when options like Palmeiro, Taveras and Vizcaino are available is absolutely inexcusable.

7. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Lets hold them down this inning and pull of a GW....please :(

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It seems like the Astros started falling apart right after the trade deadline. I hope it's not a sign.

9. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Well looks like this 7 game win streak is about to end :( Damn Springer looks like crap today.

10. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

From ESPN live chat--

Astros Fan (Camp Darby, Italy): Why did the Astros not get another big bat? I believe they will need it to continue the push for the wildcard and to get through October. What do you think Rob?

SportsNation Rob Neyer: (5:00 PM ET ) If it weren't so hard to get a big bat, more teams would have done it. But I do think it's a real concern for the Astros, who have three or four zeroes in their lineup and have thrived only because their top three starters are doing (or rather, have done) something truly incredible. Can Clemens and Pettitte really pitch this well for six months? Then again, their competition seems to be slipping, so unless the Phillies or Marlins get hot, maybe it doesn't matter.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's not the reason for this potential loss, but I feel so bad for all of these guys. As great as they are, Clemens, Oswalt, Pettitte, Wheeler, and others have all played well over their heads to get the Astros to where they are. I always assumed, though, that Purpura would get them some help midseason to ease the load. But he failed, much as he did in the weeks after losing Beltran in the offseason. I don't want to judge too much too fast, but after this season, I'm not exactly optimistic about the Tim Purpura era of the Astros.

12. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Well the pen just didnt get the job done today and Roy-O was bound to have a game or two where he struggles,and it just always happens to be against the Mets.

I'd just like to see the Stros bounce back from this game with some solid hitting on Tuesday to support Clemens on the road.

13. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Anyone know what the Stros record is in day games?

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

could russ springer have possibly been any more worthless today? got scared of every good hitter they had and then gives up a nice hit on a hanger when he finally decides to throw a strike. thank God the starters have been going deep enough to avoid using him.

of course, the whole pitching staff sucked today (how many 2 strike hits did we give up?). oswalt had beltran at 2 strikes and 2 outs, gives up the lead. then qualls has carlos at 2 strikes and 2 outs, and puts him on. then floyd at 2 strikes and 2 outs and blows oswalt's win. then wheeler just blew and springer topped him.

oh well, clemens is going on the road tomorrow so that should help.

15. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Can't win them all...but with O on the mound at home you would have thunk a win would be pretty easy.
    Then again we beat Pedro with Astacio on the mound and beat Glavine last night...so I'll take 3 out of 4 against the Mets. We knocked them 2 games back also.

16. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Stros lose :( ,time to start a new streak on Tuesday.

I'll take 3 out of 4 against any team any day of the week.

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

this game was like slow water torture. we'd get a lead, and then the mets would get the lead off guy on and just slowly move him around and score with 2 strikes and 2 outs. and just do it over and over and over, each time coming so close to getting out of the inning. meanwhile, we load the bases and get a 2-0 count and lance swings at a borderline strike from a guy who couldn't find the plate and pops up (after GIDPing earlier with men on). and then we can't even score in the 9th with 3 guys on. what a draining day.

hopefully no residual effects and we keep going againt arizona.

18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

15-16

#418 mateo, Jul 31, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Boy am I glad we still employ Russ Springer.

20. Major

Major Member

No kidding... that July ERA of 1.5 up until today is just unacceptable.