1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

METRO sells out to Harris County

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Aug 15, 2012.

1. da1

da1 Member

Houston, Harris County strike deal on Metro road funds
    Mike Morri, Houston Chronicle Copyright 2012 Houston Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    By Mike Morris
    Updated 10:54 p.m., Monday, August 13, 2012

Days after a politically divisive vote on how Metro should allocate the cash it sends to local governments for road projects, city of Houston and Harris County leaders have hashed out a compromise proposal.

The new agreement comes as the board of the Metropolitan Transit Authority prepares to meet Friday to approve language for a November ballot item asking voters whether to extend these payments, known as the "general mobility" program.

The program, in place formally since 1988, gives a fourth of Metro's 1 percent sales tax revenues to Houston, Harris County and the 14 small cities in the transit agency's service area for road, bridge, sidewalk and other such projects.

The Metro board on Aug. 3 approved a ballot proposal that would have shifted tens of millions of dollars more in mobility payments to Houston at the expense of the county and small cities by basing the payments on where sales taxes are collected.

Monday's tentative deal - reached in a meeting among Houston Mayor Annise Parker, County Commissioner Steve Radack, Metro chairman Gilbert Garcia and Greater Houston Partnership chairman Tony Chase - scrapped that approach, participants said.

The county and cities' current mobility contracts expire in 2014. Under the new proposal, any increases in sales tax revenues above 2014 levels would be split half-and-half between Metro and its member governments, sources said.

'Far better deal'

That formula would continue until Metro had collected about $400 million under the arrangement, County Judge Ed Emmett said. Sources differed on whether that was projected to occur in 2024 or 2026.

Radack and Emmett stressed that the proposed deal would require Metro to spend its share of the tax revenue increase on buses, bus shelters and paying down debt, not on light rail lines.

"I'm optimistic that this will be a far better deal for the county and, at the same time, what's being discussed will be a mechanism for Metro to be able to increase the amount of buses," Radack said.

'Back to basics'

Parker said she, too, is glad a compromise could be reached to improve the bus system and keep road funds flowing.

"I have always supported and recognized the transit needs of our growing city," Parker said. "My goal throughout this process was to make more funding available to Metro for this critical need."

Garcia, who made it clear when the Metro board voted Aug. 3 that he was not thrilled with that day's proposal, said Monday's compromise would facilitate a "back-to-basics" approach for the agency.

"I'm trying to find a solution that I think is a better balance," Garcia said. "I'm trying to find a way to balance the needs of our member partners but in some way get more resources over time for Metro."

Advocacy groups that have called for the continuation of or the end of mobility payments said they needed more information about the proposal before commenting on it. However, Citizens Transportation Coalition board member Rebecca Tapick said she hoped the Metro board would follow through on its commitment to transparency in discussing the referendum.

If approved by the Metro board, the new proposal will require a public education campaign on why a "yes" vote is important, Emmett said.

If the measure fails, he noted, the mobility program ends and Metro keeps all the sales tax revenues, likely prompting a fight in the Legislature that he said neither he nor Metro wants.

Working things out

Metro had no motivation to turn other agencies against it, Houston political consultant Keir Murray said, just as Parker had no interest in making new political enemies a year before a reelection bid. County leaders, meanwhile, wanted to be seen as delivering for their constituents.

"You don't often see Commissioners Court and the city of Houston getting together to work something out," Murray said. "It speaks to the seriousness of the issue for all parties. We're talking about a lot of money for all the players here."

mike.morris@chron.com

twitter.com/mmorris011

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...y-strike-deal-on-Metro-road-funds-3785419.php

2. da1

da1 Member

The thing that really angers me about this is METRO had a bunch of public meetings asking public for their input, and about 99.9% of people that showed up said to scrap the GMP payments. They even made a proposal recently for an up or down vote. And then in a smoke filled room the mayor and METRO chairman and harris county commissioner go behind all of our backs and do what they want to do regardless of what the people want. These are third world style shenanigans. And this is why our transit system is a total and complete joke.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

They had already decided it... just wanted people to feel like "they were part of it" with that vote? :(

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I feel very sorry for the the future of mass transit in Houston, specifically rail. It is terrible.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

good thing Houston's better suited to brt

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Some areas of Houston are, correct. Others, such as the Uptown-Greenway Plaza-Downtown corridor would be great for rail.

Too bad that neither rail nor BRT is going to be built anytime in the near future with the current politics of this city.

7. da1

da1 Member

BRT is a short term solution genius

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Too bad BRT isn't in the plan either. So what's your point again?

9. da1

da1 Member

Yep the voters wanted rail

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just wanted to chime in here and mention that our driver missed the turn into our complex again this morning. This happens at least once a week. So often that it doesn't even phase me anymore. I usually don't even look up from my phone.

I don't mean to pile on here, but seriously......Metro has to be the only public transportation agency in the country where passengers consistently have to guide drivers through their routes/stops turn-by-turn.

11. bigtexxx

...and rail is a "no term" solution!

unless you have a pot of gold you want to use to finance it

12. da1

da1 Member

Remind me how the useless Iraq war was financed

13. bigtexxx

ha! because that's relevant. :rolleyes:

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

...and BRT is relevant how? :rolleyes: back at ya.

but lightrail could be funded for 1 year for the cost of 1 day in Iraq. So lightrail assists and employs Americans.
    The war assists who?
    The war employs who?

15. da1

da1 Member

Way to avoid the question. Funny how you guys conveniently pick and choose when spending is appropriate.