1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Messi likely to Florida

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The US gets a bad rap in this subforum but for a player of his caliber to choose America, it will be a treat to have him here. Hopefully his family enjoys his stint here.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/07/football/lionel-messi-inter-miami-psg-spt-intl/index.html

"After winning the World Cup and not being able to return to Barcelona, it was my turn to go to the league of the United States to live football in another way and to enjoy the day-to-day more. Obviously, with the same responsibility and desire to play well and do things well as always. But in a calmer way."

B-Bob, No Worries and tinman like this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Messi is a RINO!

Xerobull likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

4. Nook

Nook Member

I am surprised - he must be slowing down.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

AMERICA!

Astrodome likes this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The cheapest tickets for their July 21 match went from $29 to almost $500

tinman likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He has but still world class. We'll see how he adjusts to the temps and the travel. He should be able to score quite a bit but he's on a bad team that currently doesn't even have a coach. He won't get the assists he's used to because he doesn't have the same quality on the other end of the pass.

Not sure why this is in the D&D, though. The MLS gets a bad rap because the league sucks. It's unwatchable if you're an actual follower of proper football. Messi doesn't change that. Sure, I'll go when he comes to Houston...using free tickets that are available to me. But I'm not buying the subscription package just for him.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gavin Newsom is pissed

legal immigrants want to be in Florida
    @Salvy

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Another sport succumbs to the WOKE MOB

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Welcome to Florida, Man

Astrodome and tinman like this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Houston has a team?

tinman likes this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Saudi offered him a billion. No way any deal came close to that.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Miami got more Latinos

14. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

He turned down a billion dollars to go to Miami? That's crazy

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

https://frontofficesports.com/saudi-arabia-reportedly-could-spend-1-billion-on-soccer-stars/
    Saudi Arabia’s government is looking to sign some 20 foreign stars to join its top soccer league in deals that could exceed a combined $1 billion, reports the New York Times.

Clubs in the Saudi Pro League have reportedly begun approaching global soccer stars with “some of the highest annual salaries in sports history,” according to the NYT. Cristiano Ronaldo recently finished his first season playing with Saudi club Al Nassr as part of his reported $214 million-per-year contract reached last year to make him the highest-paid athlete ever by annual salary.

Ronaldo’s deal is through 2025. The 38-year-old recently confirmed plans to continue playing in the SPL, adding he thinks the league could be a top-five league worldwide.

“I am happy here, I want to continue here, I will continue here,” Ronaldo said, per The Athletic. “And in my opinion, if they continue to do the work that they want to do here, for the next five years, I think the Saudi league can be a top-five league in the world.”

Ronaldo could be joined in Saudi Arabia by his former Real Madrid teammate Karim Benzema. ESPN reported that Benzema had been offered a two-year, $428 million contract to join Saudi Pro League club Al Ittihad.

Al Ittihad has also attempted to lure Lionel Messi in an offered deal reportedly worth $386.5 million per season. Messi will leave French club PSG at the end of this season and is reportedly also drawing interest from FC Barcelona and MLS club Inter Miami.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think when he says "calmer" he must mean wanting to play and live without being constantly hounded as a big-time celebrity. In Florida, he will be able to wander around in Walmart without anyone hassling him (or any more than they would hassle a random person), especially if he wears a tank top, flip flops, and cut-off shorts. In fact, with that face, if dude just grows a good mullet, he will completely disappear in this country.

Of course, he can also get shot in a parking lot just like any normal American now. (Stretching to make this thread fit in D&D somehow.)

AroundTheWorld, ROCKSS and davidio840 like this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yes. Florida is messy on just about any level you can conceive.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Puli should come home to the Chester Union.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Reportedly his wife refused to live in Saudi Arabia. Can't blame her. If your choice is between Miami and a city in Saudi Arabia, I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 will pick Miami (especially considering they are already rich).

And Miami is a fantastic place to live if you're rich. There's a whole ecosystem of rich celebrities there so he and his family can socialize with. He'll never experience any of Miami's problems.