1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo and Anderson’s contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Aug 6, 2018.

1. fattz

fattz Member

If Melo signs does Anderson’s contract become less toxic? If the two were flipped (Melo / 20 & Anderson / VM), or halved (Melo / 11 & Anderson / 11) or split it the way you see fit, most would be happy. The cap space for that spot is 22ish. They’re both Rockets. Why do we care who gets what check?

Yes move Anderson if at all possible... but will DM in a way erase his biggest blunder if/when he signs Melo to a veteran minimum?

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t see the correlation. Ryno’s contract is super trash, and he’s useless. Imagine if we had 20 mil worth of production actually on the court being useful instead of chilling on the bench during that GS series...

3. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Think the question is if it's less of a pill to swallow since we now have Melo on board.

My answer is that as long as Anderson is eating up that much salary and not at the LEAST spreading the floor, NO.

Now if we can move Anderson in December to Phoenix for Ariza... then GOLD!!!

4. hakeemthagreat

I'm a little concerned its taken this long for the Rockets & Melo to get a deal done. We spent all last offseason chasing him. Waited almost a month just for OKC to trade him, then a week for ATL to waive him. You'd think there would be a deal done already

Rocketsfanguy, amaru and da_juice like this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you actually helped illustrate his point. It was difficult having $20 million stuck on the bench. Getting Melo means you are getting $12-14 million worth of production at a cost of less than $2million. So, yes, I think it does help alleviate the sting of Anderson's contract.

Hakeemtheking and MonteMelo like this.
  6. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

No, it really isn't about money but opportunity cost. That is always the concern and this is definitely his biggest failure and he knows it. With that $20M salary slot last year we would have had another player or two of high caliber and have likely won the championship. Same issue this year. It's an anchor. If we cared about the money we would have moved it already for picks and expirings. We need to move it for a piece that actually provides value because we are locked in operating above the cap and have few means to acquire new players. Last year, before the season started, if we had two other decent players making the same amount of money does the Paul George trade go the same way? Maybe it does but there were other possibilities where essentially just to make Ryno a neutral asset we had to attach 2 1sts to him instead of having valuable assets and the picks to use in trade. Do we send Lou Williams in the CP3 trade or another piece? Maybe we use him later or he provides us the ability to move EGo for a star. We were forced to use EXACTLY the assets we did in all of the trades and proposed trades because those were the only assets we could offer without a diminishing return. Not getting something for Parsons and Dwert were also bad decisions and somewhat understandable based on the circumstances but nothing on this level. The team bounced back from that bad season but there were a couple of lasting consequences in not getting something for Dwert and this dumpster fire. He panicked and made a good decision in EGo and a desperation heave on Ryno due to a pretty big bias that finally caught up to him. DMo's injury issue was not his fault, Lawson was a free gamble we all wanted, Portions was a Dwert agreement, and he overvalued Dwert in trade trying to make up for other mistakes. He was on tilt when we were passed over in FA from the prior times and was determined not to fail again. Oddly some of his best moves have been the ones that saved him from himself in Portions, Bosh, and Melo last year.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think Anderson’s contract played a part in us losing Ariza...can’t overpay him for 1 year when u already have 20 mil plus however much Ryno’s contract brings in additional luxury tax payments just lounging on the roster

20 mil should be able to get u 1 very good player or 2 good rotation players...if we had that against GS we probably win game 6 or 7 and go on to win the title...instead we had Ryno...I can’t stand having this dude on the roster and his contract on our books

at the end of the day, we’re still gonna have 20 mil worth of extra production chilling with courtside seats during the WCF, so I don’t think adding Melo makes Ryno’s contract any less toxic or trash

#7 Reeko, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Hakeemtheking, Hui, rhee and 2 others like this.
  8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

No it doesn't. Maybe I would say it would in a different generation.

However, when you are trying to beat a team who literally has 5 starters who are all-stars we either need in that position:

1. A 22 million dollar player (we don't have)
    or
    2. At the very least two 11 million dollar players (we don't have)

So unfortunately no matter how you spin it Ryans contract is toxic & nothing will ease it while on the books unless some miraculous event takes place such as Hartenstein deciding he can transition to Ryans position & has a star-in-the-making season.

9. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I don't think that CP3 has officially signed his contract either. At this point it may be more about flexibility for the Rockets to finalized their roster and then can sign CP3 and go above the cap as well as with Melo since his is just the Vet Minimum and can exceed cap on a min deal.

D-rock likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Anderson's loss of minutes doesn't overshadow the cost to the team via the luxury tax. That's why his contract sucks. He's dead money that gets us closer to the repeater tax.

11. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

No!!! One has nothing to do with the other. That 20 mil could be used on someone or a couple guys who would be useful in the playoffs. And we would still get Melo for vet min.

Reeko likes this.
  12. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Nah, Anderson getting paid 20M to chill on the bench and missing open threes. Is awful.

amaru likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ryno might as well not even show up to the building during next year’s WCF if he’s unfortunately still on the roster...he should give away his bench seat to 1 lucky fan during every home game of that series

a CF poster is just as capable of cheering on the team and keeping the bench warm

roslolian and BigShasta like this.
  14. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I don't think it is as simple as getting either of those players at this point unless you can trade for them. And trading for 2 of those players is more difficult, because you have to find a teaming willing to give you actual talent in return for Anderson.

His 1st year at least his production was up to par to say he was doing something towards earning his contract. But we overpaid for him to be sure, due to the cap ballooning. At the time his 20 per was the going rate for average talent based on other signings that offseason. If we look at some of the signing then... and where they are now, mediocrity was rewarded that year.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/6/30/12052290/nba-free-agent-signings-tracker-2016-rumors

You are not gonna get better talent for Anderson for that contract let alone two value guys unless you giving up more.

15. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I dont understand why Ariza is so over valued... the dude was a good disciplined defender but was widly inconsistent with his shot. Overall, he was a valuable contributor but he’s not irreplaceable. Im confident Ennis and Tuck will do just fine. Im also confident that Morey will be able to flip RA for a solid player at some point this season.

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  16. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

We were already operating above the cap early in FA and he signed the contract. It was posted here but I cannot remember the date.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Combat tactics, Mr. Ryan. Morey closed the gap before the torpedo could arm itself.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah it doesn't because both contracts are not related.

How about this, if you add Anderson, MCW and James Ennis then it'd be like Anderson was only making 7M a year, now that definitely takes the sting from Anderson's contract! And if you add Melton's deal and multiply all of them, it'd be like Anderson was making 0 because Melton hasn't yet been signed. OMG Anderson is making 0 dollars, why are you mad about his play last year!?!?!?!

19. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

#NewMath

hajkov likes this.
  20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Ryno is awesome if and when he engages. I hope he stays with the team and engages. I love a Ryno threes more than any other player because teams fear him and adjust. Adjust in ways we can exploit. They guard him out to whatever distance he puts himself in and that's priceless. To me there is no issue with Ryno other than his confidence.