1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Media Manipulation? Who's Pulling the Strings?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by F.D. Khan, Sep 18, 2001.

1. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I Was Sent this Article....Not Exactly 100% about its Authenticity so I'm stating so....I am checking on it though....

If so......Very Apalling!!!

CNN USING 1991 FOOTAGE of celebrating Palistinians to manipulate you
    (english)
    by Marcio 10:32pm Wed Sep 12 '01

I'd like to add some ideas from here, down south.
    There's an important point in the power of press, specifically the
    power of CNN.

All around the world we are subjected to 3 or 4 huge news
    distributors, and one of them - as you well know - is CNN. Very well, I guess all
    of you have been seeing (just as I've been) images from this company. In
    particular, one set of images called my attencion: the Palestinians
    celebrating the bombing, out on the streets, eating some cake and
    making funny faces for the camera.

Well, THOSE IMAGES WERE SHOT BACK IN 1991!!! Those are images of
    Palestinians celebrating the invasion of Kuwait! It's simply
    unacceptable that a super-power of cumminications as CNN uses images
    which do not correspond to the reality in talking about so serious an
    issue.

A teacher of mine, here in Brazil, has videotapes recorded in 1991,
    With the very same images; he's been sending emails to CNN, Globo (the
    major TV network in Brazil) and newspapers, denouncing what I myself
    classify as a crime against the public opinion. If anyone of you has access to
    this kind of files, serch for it. In the meanwhile, I'll try to 'put
    my hands' on a copy of this tape.

But now, think for a moment about the impact of such images. Your people
    is hurt, emotionally fragile, and this kind broadcast have very high
    possibility of causing waves of anger and rage against Palestinians.
    It's simply irresponsible to show images such as those.

Best regards,
    and the hope that everything is resolved for the best of all of us

Márcio A. V. Carvalho
    State University of Campinas - Brazil

Finbarr Barry Flood,
    Smithsonian Senior Fellow (2001-2002),
    Arthur M. Sackler Gallery,
    Washington, D.C. 20560
    Ph: 202-357 4880 ext. 419

2. davo

davo Contributing Member

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Not even the guy who wrote the original email is sticking by the story (of course, the person never did have any evidence to support the charge. It was merely a "Friend-of-a-friend" sort of thing from the get-go).

5. F.D. Khan

Thanks guys,

Like I said when I posted it, I'm not sure about its validity!
    But as always CC.net brings Fact!!

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I'll give you guys an example of news maipulation I saw with my own eyes. I was carefully following I still consider to be the US war for oil with Iraq.

The day or so before we attacked I saw a CNN live interview of people in a rural Kansas cafe about the war soon to start. The interviewer went from booth to booth. Mostly older folks, very gung ho for the effort. She followed up their responses. Then a booth with a younger man who said:" I'm a Vietnam Veteran I think it is immoral and I'm 100% against it. She didn't follow up as with the other booths and moved on.

On the CNN headline news later on during the day at the half hour they kept repeating the interview, all the gung ho types were there, but not the Vietnam Veteran.

It was chilling to seewhat they had just done.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Regarding reaction in the Middle East. I got an e-mail from an old college friend of mine who moved back to Pakistan where he is from. He is not anti-American and often wishes he had not returned, though he is among the lucky few who occasionally gets a visitor's visa to the US. He is rather irreligious. He told me that the news media in Islaamabad where he lives is actually manipulating by trying hard not to show how much celebration the people in his area are actually doing.

This fits in with other stories showing that many in Moslem Pakistan are not supporting their rather secular military dictator who is cooperating with the US.

Please don't let us turn Pakistan into Iraq or Afghanastan just to get a few terrorist cells the easy way. Pakistan's population is in the hundreds of millions and they have nuclear weapons. Many claim this is Bin Laden's real hope. Pleeeeeeeease!

In Iran, Afghanastan and other countries the CIA and the US have made similar blunders of this scope.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I wouldn't doubt that the media manipulates, but how does the guy explain the quotes by people and the fact that Arafat was getting police and rounding the people off the streets and away from the cameras?

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

You think we are manipulated by the media? Get a dose of reality. Go live in a country that is not as transparent and accountable as ours and you will find out what media manipulation is all about.

Of course our media giants don't report the true facts all the time, and put their own slant on things, but take the good with th bad. Would you rather be fed lies and propaganda by state run agencies, like they get in hmmm, lets see.. Afghanastan and Iraq???

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Snopes annoys me again with the claim that even if it was old footage, it was still legit because the story was accurate. It's a moot point since the footage is real and recent, but to say that it would have been ok is ridiculous.

11. F.D. Khan

I just recieved this E-Mail after Trying to Find Proof Of Something I Posted:

Sorry About any Falsification Guys... I recieved the Email and checked it out...but obviously not deeply enough!!
    I for one am willing to admit a mistake!

OFFICIAL STATEMENT
    17/09/01

UNICAMP would like to announce that has no knowledge of a videotape from 1991, whose images supposedly aired on CNN showing Palestinians celebrating the terrorist attacks in the U.S. The tape was supposedly from 1991, and there were rumors that the images were passed off as current.

This information was later denied, as soon as it proved false, by Márcio A. V. Carvalho, a student at UNICAMP. He approached the administration today, 17.09.2001, to clarify the following:
    · the information he got, verbally, was that a professor from another institution (not from UNICAMP) had the tape;
    · he sent the information to a discussion group email list;
    · many people from this list were interested in the subject and requested more details;
    · he again contacted the person who first gave him the information and the person denied having the tape;
    · the student immediately sent out a note clarifying what happened to the people from his email list.

The original message, however, was distributed all over the world, often with many distortions, including a falsified by-line article from the student. He affirms that a hacker attacked his domain. Several E-mails have been sent on his behalf and those dating from 15.09.2001 should be ignored.

Among the distortions is the fact that UNICAMP would be analyzing the tape, which is absolutely false. The administration considers this alert definitive and will be careful to avoid new rumors.

- END -

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With the advent of the Internet, it is relatively easy to get verification of a story. For instance, it took less than 10 minutes from when you originally posted for 2-3 posters to post links to its validity (or lack thereof). www.snopes.com and www.urbanlegends.com are 2 good places to always start.

13. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

From snopes:

This guy is an IDIOT !