1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA says Griffin hit him before their exchange

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 16, 2018.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

The irony is that MDA wasn't hurt in the exchange, but had it been him doing the bumping, b****asspunk Griffin would be out 4-6 weeks with bruised ribs.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For posterity, posting the post-game interview of MDA, with vid of him getting heated with Blake.

MDA mainly downplaying the hit, but not denying he "didn't appreciate it." If you can't hear all the Q&A clearly, vid and quotes are also in this article ... Mike D'Antoni accuses Blake Griffin of intentional contact

3. cebu

cebu Member

clearly he stepped outside the court to make a contact.

**** BLAKE!

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Almost... though not quite. Woodson was actually on the court.

But in both cases, the player goes unnecessarily and way out of their way to make the contact. Avoiding the contact in both cases would have been supremely easy, because in both cases avoiding the contact would have meant playing 100% normal and not purposefully instigating the contact.

Why is this your initial reaction? Motive is nice to have, but when you have the hard video evidence of what happened, motive isn't really that relevant. He did in on purpose, CLEARLY.
    Motive is nice to know, but irrelevant to whether or not it was a punk move that deserves suspension, which it clearly does

Because there's a video that shows it??? Confusing question...

Blake's history points to him being exactly a hot-head

Ok, just it was clearly intentional from the get go. Not sure why you needed to wait for a plausible motivation... especially since we still don't and won't know what Blake's motivation was ever, even if he says something.

5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

MDA is not a young man, getting elbowed at his age is no joking matter. I don't care what Rivers said, but most important is a coach getting elbowed is a cheap shot. Refs doing work again.

DonKnock, BigMaloe, AXG and 4 others like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Especially by someone 6'10" and 250 lbs.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

8. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I'd like to see a more closeup of this. It didn't really look like that much of a hit though touching another coach is a no no.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

It doesn't matter how much of a hit it was. BG purposely went out of bounds towards mda. That itself is intent. Yes that's a huge no no especially to a coach

DonKnock and cebu like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

11. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

All coaches go outside the box at least few times each game. NBA doesn't enforce it. Still, there is no excuse for touching a coach.

bro2044 and D-rock like this.
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

D'Antoni has connections of his own...

[​IMG]

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You're expecting to use logic to explain things that people do based on emotion. Say you knew that Griffin had intent. Would there be a logical reason, then? Still, probably not.

I'm not saying it was intentional, maybe it was nothing. I agree that we should see what the league decides.

But --- logically, we can't dismiss this due to the lack of an evident logical reason. Fallacious thinking.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, my initial reaction is to ask why he would have done that. That’s the first thing I always do before presuming intent for a play like that.

When there isn’t a single plausible explanation for him to purposely run into the coach, that increases the probability the contact was inadvertent. That’s question number one anyone serious about investigating what happened would consider, including the NBA front office as they are contemplating handing out suspensions. I’m waiting to see if he gets suspended.

15. durvasa

How frequently do players purposely run into opposing coaches right in front of a referee for no apparent reason? And if that’s clearly what happened, why didn’t the referee who was right there kick him out of the game?

Fallacious thinking is ignoring all the contrary evidence indicating that something was going on there besides Griffin purposely running out of bounds to elbow our coach.

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You're overthinking this. Nobody likes Griffin. I tried figuring out why and I couldn't. No logical explanation, except this: Griffin is a b****. I don't know exactly what makes a b**** to other men. But he's one. Elbowing a man that is half your size and twice your age is a b**** move.

17. cebu

cebu Member

That's a fkucing different story. It's not irony.

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

It looks intentional to me. These are NBA players. They've got excellent coordination for playing their sport and Blake Griffin, as one of the best players, has demonstrated on probably 99.9 percent of all the plays he's ever been in that he's capable of running up the court without accidentally veering out of bounds. It's not like those plays when a guy's heel touches the line while shooting a corner 3.

19. durvasa

Not true, he and Chandler Parsons are good friends!

JumpMan likes this.
  20. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Griffin pointing out that MDA is outside the coaching box and then bumps into him tells me that is intent. He is telling MDA to stay in his box. I suspect Griffin will get suspended a game.

D-rock likes this.