1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale firing too soon?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leangle25, Nov 18, 2015.

1. leangle25

leangle25 Member

From what i read on twitter it seems that most coaches feel that McHale firing is wrong or maybe too soon. I mean he was not given the opportunity to redeem himself for the 4-7 start and got fired. Thoughts?

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

2 Years late and I am RIGHT.

3. hoopball

hoopball Member

too soon my ass. never should've given him the extension in the first place.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes, national media will tell you they fired a good person and it was too soon.

I don't know what the national media was watching?

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

It's over, I'm moving on.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Because the others were just itching to win against us. Nobody cares if we lose, you can be sure about that.

7. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

It's over, I'm moving on.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If anything it's too late. These national guys haven't watched games like us for as long as McHale has been here. This is just ignorant national guys having to say something about a situation they don't know much about. They just know they've met McHale and like him.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not soon enough.

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

According to jalen rose we have started 4-7 the past 5 years

11. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Don't start! The voters got what they wanted. Think it's for the best. Look forward!

12. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

That ain't right is it? What's the actual record the last 5 years?

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

not soon enough.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

based on his success here, being re-signed early into last season, and the players liking him, he should've been given a chance ot break out of this slump. at least 15 games in the season.

15. TheresTheDagger

Of course Twitter would think this.

All the national media/ sports writers know is that James Harden and Dwight Howard play for the team and therefore they are automatically to blame for everything even Mchale's performance.

Screw the natl pundits. As if they are EVER right.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

2016: 4-7
    2015: 9-2
    2014: 7-4
    2013: 4-7
    2012: 4-7

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I like Jalen but he says a lot of dumb things.

18. turbantiger

turbantiger Member

No time to redeem himself? We were extremely lucky to make it to the Western Conference finals last year given our style of basketball. I'm not saying we don't have talent, I strongly believe we do. Morey should be commended for all the hard work he has put in to try to bring in Harden and try to provide a good supporting cast. However, his insistency to coach as GM using McHale as a puppet has strongly impacted the internal desire of our players to play hard on a night-to-night basis because our style of play is so statistically based. You are basically telling the players, "I don't care what you bring, my style will win games. It's proven by numbers". With this style of basketball and little focus on player motivation, it was easy for me to understand why we have continuously demonstrated long stretches of miserable basketball, either in the form of stretches of games or multiple quarters of single games.

I'll be honest, I'm sick of Morey. If he doesn't have a plan to replace McHale with a top notch coach, he has done nothing to benefit the future of the team. There are plenty of numbers-based franchises out there that also inherently respect the importance of a commanding coach who can draw up plays, and internal commaraderie amongst players (San Antonio, Dallas Mavericks, Atlanta Hawks, Chicago Bulls). These are things that Moreyball does not emphasize, which makes me believe that they lack the ability to quantify the impact that these intangibles have in the NBA. This was clear when Morey tossed Adelman because Adelman refused to be his puppet. Adelman's coaching style wasn't thought of as being statistically-based, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Morey needs to give up his theories and understand what is proven is proven. It's silly to force players to your style of basketball and also continuously look for scrap value players. If you believe so strongly in your system, pay for the right players to fill in the gaps instead of sticking with the motto of "we need 3 superstars and the rest role players". Morey got really lucky that we made it to the Western Conference finals last year, otherwise I think he deserved strong consideration to be removed from our front office.

19. BleedsRocketRed

Same...

20. turbantiger

turbantiger Member

I'm sorry. It's not over. Morey is a bigger problem than McHale. Everyone has analytical and statistical approaches to the game now. Sure Morey was a pioneer, but he doesn't have anything that surpasses the best GM's in basketball now.