1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady pushing for Magic to sign Antonio Davis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<a href="http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sp-mcgrady062101.story?coll=orl%2Dmagic" target="_blank">McGrady wants Davis with Magic</a>

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

There is a sidebar on the right of that web page that says:

The Orlando Magic have the 15th and 23rd picks in the 2001 NBA Draft. What players do you think GM John Gabriel should select?

Details, details and details.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Mango,

nice pick up noticed it myself, maybe as part of the MacLean trade the Magic also get the right to pick for the Rockets at 23 [​IMG]

Smeg

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

4. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Thanks for the info, Clutch. Followed the link and read several good Magic articles.

I get the sense that, suddenly, it is TMac's team and Hill's role will be side kick and secondary to TMac's. I wonder how that will play with Hill.

Tmac sounds like he may have some Kobe in him now.

Can the Magic really afford to have TMac, Hill and Miller all three? Seems like someone has to be given up to make the 4/5 better.

------------------
    Some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Are you saying that in a good way or bad way? You think he's pompous/arrogant or he's taking his swagger and trying to help lead the team?

------------------
    "I had mine chewed off by a boss one time." -- Behad leaves us wondering if he gets hazard pay...

6. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

I'm saying that in a bad way. One of the articles I read in the link made me think he and the local media see TMac as the team, with everyone else tagging along.

I've always loved his game, and think he is probably more talented than Kobe, but he's very young, and if his ego starts to balloon, he will have the same kind of problems Kobe does.

------------------
    "We're having a pretty good time considering one day we're all going to die." Steve Martin, 1976

7. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

uhhh..., wasn't that one of the reason you left Toronto because you (and/or your mommy) thinks that Carter casted a shadow over you and that you couldn't shine?

Yes, I do see a lot of Kobe in McGreedy. I don't think I need to clarify in which way.

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

8. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Thanks for the helpful point, Moonbus. I didn't want to mention that he bailed on Toronto partially because he did not want to be in cousin Vince's shadow, because it was not in the articles in the link.

I was referring more specifically to his carrying the team on his shoulders, and his comments about that.

------------------
    "We're having a pretty good time considering one day we're all going to die." Steve Martin, 1976

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

he did carry the team on his shoulders.

Tracy McGrady is better than Grant Hill. He is better than Vince Carter. He's probably better than Kobe.

Who cares how egotistical he is about it?

------------------
    When this guy started smoking 40 years ago, people had no idea it was bad for you. People had to guess based on the hacking cough, shortness of breath, and bloody phlegm

girl you looks good won't you mock that draft up?!

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I think McGrady would rather have a sure thing (Davis) than taking a chance on possibly getting C-webb. The Magic will McGrady & Hill will be a very good team and teh addition of Davis would probably make them the favorites in the East. Also if they sign Davis they also keep Mike Miller, who likely would have been in a S&T to get C-webb.
    I also agree that McGrady is very special. I don't know how grea the can be but he has all the skills.

11. Falcon54

Falcon54 Member

Most is the most skilled of the young players. OF all players except, shaq, i would probably take him over Kobe. However, Kobe is a team player NOW. That was evident in the playoffs, and the reason they won.

------------------

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

TMac might know that Webber is a long shot. Besides, Toni Davis wants to be in Orlando in a bad, bad way, and, except for being older than Webb, is probably a better fit for that team.

As far as his attitude, I'll say this: it will be interesting to see how he meshes with Hill next year. But any player who makes my eyeballs pop from my skull, cartoon-like, and my mouth to utter, "Holy s***!" or "Oh my God", at least five or six times a game, can act however he wants. The kid's a freak.

------------------

13. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

I hope he is egotistical about it. One less team to worry about in the long term.

------------------

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yeah, I hope so too, just like we don't have to worry about those egotistical lakers now. It's really holding back on their ability to win.

------------------
    I'm having a ****ty day.

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't know how people can call McGrady "McGreedy". The guy took LESS money to go to Orlando then stay with Toronto. Toronto had his Bird Rights. And because Orlando fans thinks he will be a megstar makes MCGRADY arrogant!? How is that!? And McGrady didn't have any problems with Vince Carter until AFTER he left, they got along well and got to the playoffs. And Grant Hill isn't one of those superstars that will be huge in the spotlight because he isn't flashy. I think Orlando is the perfect fit for McGrady, and his "ego" won't hurt the team. I don't see any ego problems with him on Orlando.

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited June 21, 2001).]

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I really hope he goes there.!!! Webber?

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

17. Iron McFist

Iron McFist Member

This will NEVER happen, but imagine if they get Webber, Davis AND they keep T-Peso, Hill and Miller.

C - Davis
    PF - Webber
    SF - Miller
    SG - McGrady
    PG - Hill

That's scary. Real scary.

------------------

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

"I don't know how people can call McGrady "McGreedy". The guy took LESS money to go to Orlando then stay with Toronto. Toronto had his Bird Rights"

I don't know the actual numbers but I know a player would have to make a hell of a lot more money in Toronto than in Orlando to be as rich. Canada has some of the highest tax rates in the world and Forida diesn't have any state income taxes. He probably nets more with a lower salary in Orland.

------------------
    Losers always whine about playing their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen"
    -Sean Connery, "The Rock"

19. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Mcgrady or Carter? That's a hard one. Mcgrady is more all around, where Carter is a better scorer. Carter has the better jumpshot by far, and has better athleticism (although T-Mac has outstanding athleticism). T-mac is a better defender and has better court vision. At this point, Carter is better IMO, but in several years Mcgrady should be at least Carter's equal if not better.

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

20. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

Maybe TMac wants Davis because Davis won't demand the ball, as CWebb would, which would just mean more shots for himself.

------------------