1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McCain won't committ to Palin for 2012

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. adoo

adoo Member

what a difference four months make !

2. Dei

Dei Member

not as much as four years'

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Old news. He already said this a couple of months ago. Why is it news again?

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Why commit to anyone right now?

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Well, if he didn't have confidence in her now to become president. He shouldn't have chosen her as his running mate. At his age, she could have been president before 2012.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Honestly we have no idea at this moment who will be on the GOP ticket in 2012 and it way to early to speculate. Who ever is in front now won't win the spot.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Mitt Romney. Experienced Governor, successful business owner; had a well-regarded turn helping run the '02 Olympics in Salt Lake. Has liberal baggage on the abortion issue, but I believe Gore actually had the same flip-flop from when he was a Senator; and I'm hoping it's less relevant politically than it used to be. And Lieberman becomes the only VP candidate in two major parties, or Mike Steele becomes the first black one, or Bobby J becomes the first desi.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I can think of at least two females on McCain's own campaign whom I would have liked more for VP: Carly Fiorina and Nancy Pfotenhauer. Too bad Carly had no government experience and we still demonize "Washington insiders."

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I can't think of much that would upset the GOP base more than this. A liberal Republican ex-governor and a liberal Democratic Senator? There is still a lot of Romney backers out there, but I think he runs behind a lot of others. If the GOP runs a Jew for VP in 2012, it will be Eric Cantor.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In other equally relevant news, Bob Dole won't committ to Jack Kemp for 2016.

11. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

lol @ lieberman

Lieberman was old and boring in 2000
    and you want him to run in 2012?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if McCain runs in 2012, his motto should be, "hey, you thought'd I be dead by now"

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Palin was put on the ticket in 2008 in part because most everyone expected the energy issue to be front and center. Being a woman was also important at that time, because of the unhappy Hillary voters (the Puma's). It's unclear at best whether those issues will be meaningful in 2012 or not. In hindsight, it was the stock market crash that propelled Barack Mugabe Obama to the head of the feral government (a great irony, given his ignorance on all matters relating to finance and economics). Romney, in hindsight, would have been the better political pick in 2008. The Republicans configured a ticket to address foreign policy and energy, and come voting time, those were not the two key issues. Obama's key issues were (1) He was not Bush and (2) He was not Bush. Really there weren't any other selling points, other than his ability to use his 'angry-God voice' well in front of staged, celebrity-seeking events.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Trader, outside of the sadness that you have not gotten over the fact that Obama has won, that's actually a fairly decent foward looking analysis. What value will Palin have in 2012? McCain totally misplayed the selection, but to be fair, the banking collaspe was not expected (but it probably should have been).

15. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

If the republicans want any chance of winning, I don't think Palin should even be considered at all. She is not a strong candidate and seems a bit mentally unbalanced.

16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Thanks, feel free to leave me with positive rep points.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

pgabriel, what is sad is that you actually believe some of the things you post, unlike other liberal trolls on this board who only look to insult anyone who disagrees with them.

There is not a fairly decent outlook, unless you consider more government control and spending a good outlook. When the gov starts talking how hyperinflation is very possible, that is very bad. The banking collapse WAS expected. Read Crashproof if you don't think so. The problem is you continue to listen to the same people who have for years said everything was ok. They continually say things are going to get better while those who predicted the failure say the worst is yet to come.

Back on topic, McCain, IMO, played the election well. Im not big into conspiracy theories, but I am lead to believe McCain had no intention on winning. If he had a shred of sincerity on winning. then I think he would have been one of the worst presidents of all time.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Or who makes silly statements without being cognizant of the facts.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have no idea what you're talking about

20. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I think he's just concerned that the GOP will implode before then.