1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McCain: Shouting 'Allahu Akhbar!' Same as Christians Shouting 'Thank God!'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DwightHoward13, Sep 3, 2013.

1. DwightHoward13

This is beyond reproach, in my opinion. When Christians say 'Thank God,' it is in thanks to him, not as a confirmation of martyrdom and murder.

"Allahu Akbar" is Arabic for "God is greater," and it is used as confirmation that jihadists are following the will of Allah in their holy war against other religions.

Please note: a conservative site attacking a Republican.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/09/03/McCain-allahu-akhbar

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

McCain is correct; and moments of clarity and personal tolerance like this make his selection of Sarah Palin that much more baffling.

3. DwightHoward13

In what way is he correct?

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Wrong. You're affixing martyrdom and terrorism to an expression that could be used for a myriad of other actions or situations.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

A world religion with a billion people can have things other than terrorism and murder on their minds when exclaiming praise for their deity. Real life is not Iron Eagle III or Delta Force.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Do you have any idea how often the phrase is used? It is a very common phrase used by Muslims, it is not a phrase that is limited to martyrdom.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So if an American Christian responded "Thank God" to the news that Osama bin Laden had been killed, would that also be "beyond reproach?"

8. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

same thing being invoked.. mccain keepin it real

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Exactly, this along with many other phrases such as "insha'allah" or "bismillah" are common Muslim phrases. Religion is ingrained in Arab society. Most Muslims use similar phrases before they start a car trip, before they eat, when they are speaking of the future, etc.

How many billion Muslims are there? How many have said "Allahu Akbar" before blowing them self up?

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am scratching my head that anyone would weigh the thoughts of Fox's Brian Kilmeade versus those of John McCain. Brian Kilmeade? Really?

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

No, it absolutely isn't. The thing about "Allahu Akbar" is that in the Muslim world, there is absolutely no time where saying it is inappropriate. Consequently, since you can say it whenever you want and no one will complain, the phrase at this point more or less means whatever you want, whether it's praise, cursing, or so on. It's not any different from the fact that Western atheists routinely say things like "Jesus Christ" or "For God's sake".

From what I've been told, frankly, picking Palin was in a sense a giant F U move to the far right. McCain wanted Lieberman, but was constantly told that he needed to pick a more conservative candidate, and so basically went, "You want a far right VP? You got one!" Of course that backfired, but it's still reasonable.

12. DwightHoward13

Yes! Christians are not supposed to cheer on the death of people, no matter how evil they are.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

McCain agrees with Obama on Syria... time to demonize McCain -- that train is never late.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yet we have Westboro baptist church.

15. DwightHoward13

You say that there is no time when saying "Allahu Akbar" is inappropriate, yet you claim during a holy war, or jihad, Muslims "absolutely" do not use this phrase. My intention was not to limit "Allahu Akbar" to just jihad, but rather frame the context in which the phrase is used during Islamic terrorism.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This is a dumb ass thread.

1 person likes this.
  17. DwightHoward13

If you can name one Christian outside of Westboro who agrees with their philosophy, then you have proven your point. If you cannot, please move on with that argument.

18. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Couldn't agree with you more.

19. tomato

tomato Member

Terrorists already hijack planes, DwightHoward13, stop letting them hijack a nice phrase. This is on YOU.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How quickly they forget.

U.S. President George W. Bush, from a press conference upon arrival at the South Lawn of the White House, September 16, 2001. : "We need to go back to work tomorrow and we will. But we need to be alert to the fact that these evil-doers still exist. We haven't seen this kind of barbarism in a long period of time. No one could have conceivably imagined suicide bombers burrowing into our society and then emerging all in the same day to fly their aircraft — fly U.S. aircraft into buildings full of innocent people — and show no remorse. This is a new kind of — a new kind of evil. And we understand. And the American people are beginning to understand. This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while. And the American people must be patient. I'm going to be patient. But I can assure the American people I am determined, I'm not going to be distracted, I will keep my focus to make sure that not only are these brought to justice, but anybody who's been associated will be brought to justice. Those who harbor terrorists will be brought to justice. It is time for us to win the first war of the 21st century decisively, so that our children and our grandchildren can live peacefully into the 21st century." [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Crusade