1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe this is why the Cards pitching is so good this year.....

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tigereye, Aug 25, 2004.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

I'm surpirsed I hevent seen this posted here yet........but its bound to spawn many conspiracy theroies behind the Cards success in the pitching dept.

Read on.........and let the theories and acuasations of cheating begin.

Cards' Tavarez gets 10-game suspension
    Story Tools: Print Email
    Associated Press
    Posted: 10 hours ago

CINCINNATI (AP) - St. Louis reliever Julian Tavarez was suspended for 10 days Tuesday for applying a foreign substance to balls while pitching last week.

Tavarez appealed the penalty, which was set to start Tuesday night for the Cardinals-Cincinnati game. No action will be taken until a hearing is held.

"The incident that day seemed like it was a very minor thing, and I'm shocked that it would be worth 10 days," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "So, we'll let the process take care of itself, and that's all I'm going to say."

Tavarez was ejected during the opener of Friday's doubleheader against Pittsburgh after umpire crew chief Joe West inspected the pitcher's grimy hat.

West said Tavarez and Cardinals and La Russa "as much admitted" it was pine tar on his cap.

Tavarez made a flamboyant exit, putting his arm around plate umpire Ron Kulpa and suggesting the two get a beer after the game. Tavarez tossed his cap to a fan in the stands behind the dugout as he left.

The suspension was imposed by Bob Watson, vice president of on-field operations for Major League Baseball.

Tavarez was 5-3 with three saves and a 2.49 ERA in 61 games for the NL Central leaders.

story link.....

Makes you wonder if another "dirty hat" Cards reliever, Steve Kline, is next......

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well if it works.....

:)

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

they let him throw his cap into stands?? seems to me like they'd want to keep that hat for evidence when he appeals

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This has come up SEVERAL times this year, as each game he went out there with a very noticeable BROWN spot on the bill of his cap.

Hell... the reason Lloyd Mclendon called him out on it was because Tavarez pitched FOR HIM last year, and Lloyd knew what all he did to the ball when he was there. (kinda sneaky... but still fair).

My guess is that the penalty was so severe (10 days) because Tavares probably had numerous warnings to NOT use pine tar on his hat anymore... but he obviously didn't listen.

Granted he's an important part of their bullpen, but he probably will start serving the suspension only after they clinch... which is probably not too far off.

BTW... does anybody know what the Cards secret bullpen weapon will be in the playoffs? If you guessed Rick Ankiel, you're right on the money... he's speeding thru the minors on his rehab assignments, striking guys out left and right again.

Of course... he could just blow-up in the playoffs again... and that would be kinda fun to watch.

5. Dirt

Dirt Member

Kinda ironic to me about an Astros fan complaining about an oposing pitcher cheating after having a pitcher named Mike Scott....:rolleyes:

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I dont mind us complaning about teams cheating.. considering the fact that we very well may have won the division last year if Sammy hadn't cheated.... one game my friends.. one game we lost by