1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe the Texans should have signed Drew Brees

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tinman, Dec 10, 2006.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Drew Brees and Joey Harrington like Carr have no future in the NFL*.

* except after the team that drafted them lets them go.

2. Major

Major Member

Drew Brees was a pro-bowler for the team that drafted him. :confused:

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Dude got 97 fantasy points........and my opponent played him. We are (or were) tied for 1st place. :mad:

Oh well, at least I can take comfort in the fact that he did it against the Crackboys. :D

4. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Yeah they should have signed him.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

So why would the Chargers draft Philip Rivers to replace their pro bowl starter?

6. Major

Major Member

Because Brees wasn't a pro-bowl starter when they drafted Rivers 3 years ago?

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

You are right they didn't trade Brees. But the surely could have traded Rivers and built around Brees if they thought the latter was going to be the better NFL player.

I am not dissing Brees. But no I don't think he is on the level of the three I mentioned (Brady, Peyton, McNabb). He has more limitations than the top of the top, and I think when NO gets in the playoffs and faces a top defense they will be exposed.

I also think it is a little bit of the case of right player right team right time for his 4000+ season. More like the Rams Greatest Show on earth QBs who just had to utilize lots of weapons than the QB being the engine that runs it all and smooths over other weaknesses.

8. tchenps

tchenps Member

Maybe the Texans should have drafted VY.

9. Major

Major Member

But Brees was also coming off a shoulder injury, and trading players in the NFL has all sorts of bad salary cap implications (which I don't really understand). The easier route was to simply go with Rivers.

I think that's certainly possible. But wasn't Dallas one of the top defenses in the NFC going into yesterday (I could be wrong, but that's what I remember)? That said, Brees also has the advantage of always having worked with pro-bowl running backs (LT, Deuce) and some great receivers (Horn & Colston and now Bush, Gates)

10. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

I pointed this out at the beginning of the season and got flamed by the Carr homers - funny how it suddenly makes sense now . .

11. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Brees would have been significantly better than drafting VY. Could have gotten Mario and him.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

im giving you props. show them haters that you were right and that you are stuntin.

13. Possum

Possum Member

No QB would be doing any better behind this horrible line. If you wanna do the could of would of should of game then we could of rebuilt the line with Da Brick instead of Mario and either Winston Justice or Marcus McNeil instead of Ryans then in the third round Spencer and we wouldnt be having this conversation. Im no big Carr fan (wanted Peppers) but dude should get a chance to play behind a half way decent line before he is treated like a peice of trash. Some of you are just not being fair or realistic.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Jets are playing well,
    didn't they get DeBrick Shaw.
    we have Juwan Howard, he's DeBrick Sure.

15. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

The Jets got D'Brick AND Mangold, best center to come out of the draft in awhile. They did what the Texans should have done.

16. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

for the record, a bit of the discussion during the season went on here (trade carr thread) : http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=2533867#post2533867
    other bits were placed in the offseason threads

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Carrying Brees and Williams salary would be heavy, add in Carr, unreal.

Also, the Texans don't have the Oline or weapons to utilize Brees. AJ is the only above average skill player out there, too easy to take out.

Finally, I would not build a young team around Brees instead of VY, VY is 4+ years younger and Brees has had some injury history.

At the time I questioned NO signing Brees instead of building around one of the great young QBs prospects, and in particular VY. But I underestimated how many solid pieces they had and how totally inept Brooks and Haslett(?) were at using them. On the offensive side NO just needed a ring leader and Brees, Bush, and with (the miracle pick) Colston it has all worked out great. Still not sure about the defense, but against most teams with that offense it is enough.

Major, as for the Boys defense, yes they have been good overall. But the safety coverage skills have been a major weakness for 2+ years and Sean Payton (last year's Dallas OC) just burned them over and over and over. Dallas whole team, player through every staff member, got roasted. I do believe it will be a different story if they play again.

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is that Kevin's fat little brother?

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

garthomps -

it's funny that you would use my quotes, because in that thread i was arguing against carr big time. saying i was tired of the excuses and that it was time to move on. i've wanted the guy gone/benched/exiled to siberia for a very long time now. i don't believe there's ever been a houston athlete i've liked less than david carr.

but that, alone, doesn't solve the texans problem. that's what i was saying. i'm still saying that. would they improve? maybe. maybe a bit. but they're not gonna be a force by simply replacing their QB, and that's it.