1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs forward George blocks trade of Kidd to Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by H-TownBBall, Feb 13, 2008.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's a reason they have this rule in the bargaining agreements, and its well within George's right to use it for now.

The corporate comparison in this thread isn't really accurate. It's more like that $5 worker being told he's going to be shipped off to Jersey to get the deal done, AND it's likely that raise he was expecting next year, much harder to get now....if I'm the worker, I say no thanks also.

2. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Or NJ can take Hassell instead of George and Diop. Both are just fillers anyway.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Last night, Deaven George was 0-11 for the game. Not exactly Robert Horry right there. But he was +19, so his mere presence on the court brings them wins!! :D

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is there any way the Rockets can facilitate this deal where we would land Juwan Howard from the Mavs and Stromile Swift from the Nets? We can then dump Scola and Landry, perhaps to PHX for their trade exception. Howard's killer shot, hustle, heart, and winning attitude coupled with Swift's exuberance, potential, and athleticism = 83 wins.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

................................over the next 3 seasons.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I want Diop to leave Dallas. They need to lose that inside presence. Diop has always given Yao trouble inside.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Plus, they were loudly heckling Mark Cuban from all sides at the game last night. That was some seriously funny basketball theater going on at the AAC. If this deal does go through, it will make the Mavericks look absolutely stupid for letting Nash walk away for nothing only to end up trading for a PG who's older than Nash. The Mavs have just blinked big time and all Rockets' fans would be wise to remember something I've been saying ever since I joined this board: The Dallas Mavericks are their own worst enemy. Given enough time (and rope) they will always find a way to do themselves in.

#87 HillBoy, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hilarious, ain't it? ;)

9. poprocks

poprocks Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080214&sportCat=nba

Devean George: The untold story
    By DJ Gallo

Wednesday afternoon.

Dallas Mavericks team offices.

A knock on general manager Donn Nelson's office door.

Donn Nelson: Come in.

[Devean George enters.]

Nelson: Hi, Devean. So are you ready to be a Net? We sure do appreciate the time you've spent here in Dallas.

George: Yeah, about that. I hate to mess things up for you, but I'm not going to New Jersey. I'm invoking my no-trade clause.

Nelson: Ha! Good one. A no-trade clause given to Devean George. Very funny. Like no-trade clauses are given to average, run-of-the-mill players. Good one, Devean. We're going to miss your sense of humor around here. I don't think Jason Kidd is a cut-up like you.

George: No, really. I have a no-trade clause. Check my contract.

[Tosses contract onto Nelson's desk.]

Nelson: Sweet mercy! You do have a no-trade clause! How did this happen?

George: I think it was a typo. Probably something left in the contract template from an offer you made to a good player. But it doesn't matter. It's there. And I'm killing the trade.

Nelson: But why?! Why would you do that to us? You can get your 12 minutes off the bench anywhere. We were getting Jason Kidd! We were finally going to win a championship!

George: You can win a championship with me. I can do everything Jason Kidd does.

Nelson: Oh, really? Jason Kidd is a surefire Hall of Famer. You are a spot starter.

George: I can rebound.

Nelson: Jason Kidd can rebound better.

George: I am unselfish.

Nelson: Jason Kidd is one of the most unselfish players ever.

George: I can shoot 3s.

Nelson: Jason Kidd can … look, we have enough players who can shoot 3s. Come on, this is ridiculous. What is the real reason you are sabotaging us? Why won't you go to New Jersey?

George: I don't want to uproot my family. We set down roots here in Dallas.

Nelson: Well, that is a fair concern. I can understand that. Wait … you aren't married. You don't have any kids.

George: Crap. I thought you would buy that one.

[Another knock at the door.]

Nelson: Come in.

[Mark Cuban comes into the room dancing the cha-cha, a lively dance of excitement.]

Mark Cuban: Hey, dudes! Whaaaazzzzz-up!

[Cuban gives awkward high-fives to George and Nelson while continuing to cha-cha around the room.]

Cuban: Is this trade going to be awesome or what, dawgs? Jason Kidd, baby!

Nelson: Yeah, about that. Devean is invoking his no-trade clause. The deal is dead.

Cuban: WHAT?!

[Cuban stops dancing for a moment. And then suddenly begins dancing the paso doble -- an angry, aggressive dance.]

George: Yeah. Sorry, Mr. Cuban. But I want to stay here.

Cuban: How dare you cross me! Do you know what I do to people who cross me?! Do you know what I did to Donald Trump?

George: What? What did you do to Donald Trump?

Cuban: Well … I, um … well, I wrote a very cutting blog post about him, that's what. And I'm going to do the same to you.

[Cuban paso dobles over to Nelson's computer, sits down, and begins typing a blog entry about George.]

Nelson: Oh, man. This is getting bad. We need something to lighten the mood. Where's Avery?

[Another knock on the door.]

Nelson: Come in. Avery! I was just talking about you. I was hoping you could lighten the mood in here a bit. Talk to me.

Avery Johnson: Talk to you about what? I don't feel like lightening the mood. I have a splitting headache and I just found out that my great aunt Sally is in the hospital with the gout.

Nelson: Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Stop! Stop it! You're killing me! The sound of your voice gets me every time, Avery. Thank you. You're the best. I needed that.

OK. Now, Devean. Let's get back on track. What is the real reason you are killing this trade?

Cuban: And that's that! All done, Devean George. You have totally been dissed on my blog. I hope you are happy with yourself. And you're out of luck if you ever hope to be interviewed or profiled on HDNet. Sucks to be you. R-O-T-F-L-M-A-O!

George: Did you just say "R-O-T-F-L-M-A-O"?

Cuban: Yes. L-O-L.

George: Jeez, you are such a dork.

[Cuban creepily stares George down. He then turns and quicksteps out of the room, taking Avery Johnson as his partner.]

[Another knock at the door.]

Nelson: Yes. Come in.

Dirk Nowitzki: Hallo.

Nelson: Hello, Dirk.

George: Hi, Dirk.

Nowitzki: Devean, I am happy that Jason Kidd is coming to Dallas. But I am sorry to see you go. I have made you a mix tape of David Hasselhoff love ballads. They express what I feel toward you. I hope you enjoy it. Here you go.

[Nowitzki hands mix tape to George.]

Nelson: Dirk, bad news. Devean here has nixed the trade. He has a no-trade clause.

Nowitzki: [Loud cursing in German.] No! This can't be! Jason Kidd and I were going to be playoff magic. He would draw the double-team and then feed me the ball for wide-open, fall-away jumpers at the top of the key. [More loud cursing in German.]

Devean! Give me back my Hasselhoff mix tape! You don't deserve it!

[Nowitzki rips the Hasselhoff tape away from George and clutches it to his heart.]

Nelson: Dirk, just calm down a minute. Are you angry at Devean right now?

Nowitzki: Yes.

Nelson: Do you hate him even?

Nowitzki: Yes.

Nelson: Then give him the Hasselhoff tape. He definitely deserves it.

[Nowitzki gives the tape back to George and leaves the room, muttering, "Auf Wiedersehen."]

Nelson: OK, Devean. We are finally alone again. Now tell me the real reason you are killing this Jason Kidd trade.

[A cell phone rings.]

George: Excuse me. I have to take this.

[George whispers into the phone: "Yeah, I'm here with him now. Just a minute." And then hands the cell phone to Nelson.]

Here, it's for you anyway.

Nelson: Umm … hello? Who is this?

Mitch Kupchak: It's Mitch Kupchak. Sorry to hear your Jason Kidd trade fell through.

Nelson: Wait … how did you know about that already?

Kupchak: Oh, I knew before you did, Donn. Remember who you signed Devean away from two years ago?

Nelson: Yeah, you guys -- the Lakers.

Kupchak: Exactly. He signed with you, but he is still working as an operative for us. Enjoy watching us destroy you in the playoffs with Kobe and Gasol while Jason Kidd rots away in New Jersey! Bwaah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Bwaah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Nelson: Noooooooo! Kupchaaaaaaaaaak!

10. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

poprocks, that was great, thanks for that. Good laugh

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, I dont blame George for not wanting to be in New Jersey.

Let the Mavs send Bass. Even better for us.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Poprocks, that was awesome! Post of the year!

Edit: then I found out it was DJ Gallo's Page 2 Column on ESPN, so it's more like the uncredited copy of another funny idea of the year. So, there's that...

Here's the link:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...14&sportCat=nba

#92 BMoney, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Sources: Kidd's trade to Mavs could still happen, but may require Van Horn

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3246325

The trade to return Jason Kidd to the Dallas Mavericks remained in limbo Thursday, with no clear indication that Mavericks reserve forward Devean George is planning to rescind his right to block the deal.

Yet at least two sources close to the process remained optimistic that the deal will be completed -- either in its original or a substitute form -- before the NBA's annual trading deadline, which falls next Thursday at 3 p.m. ET. Sources say George's agent, Mark Bartelstein, and New Jersey Nets president Rod Thorn were in talks Thursday to clarify the Nets' plans for George, with Thorn hoping to convince Bartelstein and his 30-year-old client to abandon their resistance.

The injury-hit Mavericks were still planning to start George later Thursday against Phoenix in the league's final game before the All-Star break, despite George's refusal to be included in the seven-player blockbuster Dallas agreed to with New Jersey to reacquire Kidd, who shared NBA Rookie of the Year honors with Suns forward Grant Hill in 1995.

After informing the Mavericks that he wouldn't give his consent to be thrown into a Kidd deal
    -- a right afforded George via an obscure league rule affecting certain players with one-year contracts -- George suggested late Wednesday in Dallas that he was open to changing his mind.

"I don't think the trade is going anywhere," George told reporters after shooting 0-for-11 from the floor as a starter in a 20-point win over Portland on Wednesday, explaining that he wanted to hear more first from Bartelstein about the full ramifications of his decision before making a binding choice.

But after all-night talks with George, Bartelstein told ESPN.com on Thursday: "Devean is still inclined not to change his stance [and go to New Jersey], but the Mavericks and Nets have asked us to take today to reconsider everything and we said we'd do that."

Sources close to the situation were split on whether George will eventually relent. But sources also stressed Thursday that the deal can go through in only one of two ways at this point, even though it would be highly uncomfortable for both teams to try to go back to how they were.

The A scenario is still convincing George to give his consent.

The fallback scenario is Dallas agreeing to sign-and-trade Keith Van Horn in George's place, capitalizing on the fact that the Mavericks still hold Van Horn's rights and the fact that Van Horn has not submitted official retirement papers to the league office since he last played in 2005-06. Players who are signed-and-traded are required to receive a three-year contract, but only the first year must be guaranteed. Dallas could thus create an expiring-contract effect with Van Horn to match George's expiring contract, which is the main reason New Jersey is so adamant about having George in the deal.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has also been adamant about his refusal to play the Van Horn chip, as that would only add to the growing luxury-tax bill that this trade would inflict. "We won't use [Van Horn] in any deal for anyone," Cuban told ESPN.com last week.

Sources say that Cuban, though, has gradually softened that stance and is prepared to include Van Horn if George doesn't bow to the internal and external pressure he's receiving from his teammates, bosses and fans. And if the Mavs did go the Van Horn route, they would not make the secondary trade agreed to Wednesday with the Nets in which they'd send a future second-round pick to New Jersey for Antoine Wright.

It remains to be seen if George can keep handling that pressure, after taking a stance that has floored numerous Mavs insiders, especially after George suggested earlier this month that he hoped to be traded if his playing time didn't increase.

As George himself shared Wednesday night, hecklers shouted at him repeatedly in Dallas' comfortable win over Portland after news began to filter through the American Airlines Center that George's refusal to sign off on the Kidd deal is what kept it from going through. George said: "Fans were like, 'C'mon, what are you doing? Stop it. You're holding things up. ... Quit being selfish. C'mon, we want Kidd.' "

In the primary deal agreed to Wednesday, New Jersey would have sent Kidd and forward Malik Allen to Dallas for Harris, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse, center DeSagana Diop, guard Maurice Ager, George, two future first-round draft picks and the maximum allowable cash inducement of $3 million.

Sources say New Jersey would balk at any attempt by Dallas to substitute George with anyone other than Van Horn. The Nets have no interest in replacing him with veteran swingman Eddie Jones and rookie Nick Fazekas or Jones and veteran forward Juwan Howard because the contracts belonging to Jones and Fazekas don't expire at season's end like George's, slicing into the long-term payroll savings New Jersey seeks as part of its post-Kidd rebuilding package.

But a league source confirmed Thursday that Van Horn, if included by the Mavericks, would have to physically report to New Jersey and make him self available to play for the Nets as opposed to just collecting new checks in retirement. Sources say that the Los Angeles Lakers' recent acquisition of Pau Gasol was only approved by the league office when the retired Aaron McKie -- who was working as a volunteer assistant coach with Philadelphia when the Lakers called to inform him that they had to sign him and throw him in for salary-cap reasons -- agreed to head for Memphis and stay on the Grizzlies' roster.

It's an obscure league rule, as opposed to a no-trade clause, that enabled George to put the league's third blockbuster trade already this month on hold.

Although Kobe Bryant is the only player in the league with a specific no-trade clause in his contract, league rules dictate that players on a one-year contract -- but who also ended last season with the same team and are thus eligible for Early Bird or full Larry Bird free-agent rights at the end of the contract -- cannot be traded without their consent. George, who earns $2.4 million this season, is one of 18 such players in the league at present, afforded the right to either approve or veto trades because those Bird rights are lost if they do get traded.

14. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

George just tries to make out something for himself. Well, good luck to him. Mark Cuban is a person that easily forgets. If the Mavs go to the Van Horn route, the Mavs probably will waive Devin George in late March. Good luck to his bird right.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So it appears that George was recently asking to be traded. He's being a jerk about this but that's fine with me.

After reading that article and some other stuff, my guess is there is a 95% chance it will happen. Heckling from the fans and the apparent pressure from teammates will make him change his mind. There is no way he finishes the season with the Mavs.

16. spysta

spysta Member

OK so now it seems that the lakers are offering Lamar Odom and filler for the services of Jason Kidd. Now that would be crazy.

A team of KIDD, BYNUM and GASOL could win without KOBE, so with those three and KOBE they would be nearly unstopable.

17. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

wait..so how are they not over the luxury tax or watever if they do that deal?

18. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

They already are, but it doesn't matter becasuse Dr Buss will pay the tax.

Lamar has a max deal and that would be a freaking super team in the West.

19. dback816

dback816 Member

Deaven George is FREAKING HILARIOUS

Starts off with his interview with " It's not about being selfish "

Then everything after that...

Me

Me

Me

Me

Me

Me

Me

Me

Me

Every sentence had the word "me" in it

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Can Cuban sign a random guy like me to 2.4 mil contract? I will report to New Jersey tonight to make the Kidd trade happen. :D

Luky Van Horn. Diamond Bar High's proud.