1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs forward George blocks trade of Kidd to Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by H-TownBBall, Feb 13, 2008.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Well, this should help kill the Mavs' chemistry. Awesome. Well done, George!

Where is moes? He needs to do another one of his award-winning short stories. :)

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why would this be good for the NBA? :confused:

3. daRox

daRox Member

if trade goes through, Mavs is on the bad end of the dea
    if trade doesn't go through, Mavs is screwed chemistry wise :D

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't see this trade helping the Mavs all that much. What this team needed was another player to shoot the clutch shots in order to mask Dirk's anti-clutchness.

Kidd ain't the guy for that.

5. Keivan

Keivan Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_iBYXeUF5s8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_iBYXeUF5s8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

6. neobomb

neobomb Member

man i'm laughing and laughing my ass off d.george is my hero

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

blocking the trade was epic enough, but following it up with an 0-11 game just takes it to another level. it's like he's purposely trying to screws the mavs up.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So Devan George implies he could change his mind.

I sure hope he doesn't.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

It sounded like he's just holding out for some form of extra compensation in order to agree to the trade..

10. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

And he laid bricks to the tune of 0-11 tonight.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Well he did say he is glad that they just got the win tonight.

He cares.

12. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

ya..he is gonna milk some more money out of this because he knows it's depending on him.

dallas is giving up a lot to get kidd..i mean 2 years ago it would have made sense but now?

it would have made better sense if they got shaq.

13. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Just missed the tail end of it, I think Broussard on ESPN speculates George is doing this to leverage a bigger contract. I don't know jack about contracts and how this is possible in this situation, so I could be way off.

I'm not very informed on this whole scenario, but from the interview I can't really blame him for 'doing what's best for me' just like Dallas is doing what's best for them. But realistically I can't see how it will get better by vetoing the trade. Seems like he just has to suck it up like all the other NBA players who end up renting apartments (instead of buying a house) every time they move to another team.

BTW, like the thread I started previously, THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST ENTERTAINING SEASONS OF PLAYER TRANSACTIONS EVAR!!!111!!!

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Actually it has something to do with Bird rights. If he's traded, the Nets won't be able to do a sign-and-trade this summer involving George. If he stays with the Mavs, they could. The thing is, there is no way in the world the Mavs will do him any favors after he vetoed this.

So he may as well go to the Nets, become an unrestricted free agent without Bird rights this summer and hope he gets a cut of somebody's MLE. The Mavs will NOT reward him with a SnT.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

But that's probably the problem. Who'd want to use part of their MLE exception on Devean George? George is much more likely to get a decent deal if teams don't need MLE to sign him. Otherwise, he's probably only worth a LLE in free agency.

So in the end, George's earning potential does decrease with this trade. So unless the Mavs/Nets are willing to sweeten the pot for him, why would he care to go along with it?

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This is funny. They didn't want to give Nash a contract extension because of his age but then they go an trade for PG who is older than Nash?

17. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Ironically, George is the one who said a few weeks ago that he wanted to be traded if he wasn't going to get any playing time.

I'm sure glad Avery started playing him...

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Dude, that's hilarious. Good stuff.

19. TDRox

TDRox Member

I wonder what the Mav players are thinking about this. You'd think they would want Kidd on their team, so are they pissed at George? And what about the Nets? How awkward is that? They even did interviews tonight about wishing Kidd the best of luck and how he was a good teammate etc...now they'll have to play with him again? Weird...

20. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Good job by Devin George and it's his right to keep his bird's right.

But the truth is the Nets are not going to give George an contract extension. The Mavs wont keep him. Even George stays with the Mavs this season, a sign & trade will not be on his way with his mediocre performance. George will be lucky to get another one year contract of half MLE.

I do hope this will screw the Mavs chemistry if the trade wont go through. :cool: