1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maui

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 25, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone has seen the devastating wild fires that hit Lahaina but I just heard today that residents on the island want people to return to visit as tourism is the lifeblood ofthe economy.

I've never been to Hawaii but I've been to disaster sites and worked on recovery. I'm considering maybe going to visit. Wouldn't be until October at the earliest though. I'm also presuming that there is still much of the island that hasn't been affected by the fire.

Who's been to Maui and what do y'all think of it? Would you go back now?

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Is the following true...?

Those who lost everything are more burdened in every way and, therefore, cannot see past the immediate, horrific tragedy that has directly impacted them to see the bigger picture.

I dunno. Clearly, not everyone wants tourists to return. But, I think that those who have to continue in areas not touched by fire have to keep the island economy going. Or, it could be bad for recovery.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm sure that there are many residents who are dealing with day to day survival along with still looking for loved ones missing in the fire. I would be very hesitant about getting in the way of that and it does also feel a bit macabre to be thinking about taking a vacation where stuff like that happened.

About a month after the tsunami I went to Phuket Thailand to where the tsunami had hit very hard. I did go working with a group working on rebuilding and recovery so it was just a tourist jaunt. That said there were still tourists and all of the locals told me that they really wanted tourist to return as they didn't feel they could recover without them.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Isn't housing there at a premium now and if tourists go back it will raise prices so locals can't afford it?

I know after Galveston flooded in 2008, you couldn't find a hotel within 25 miles due to the displaced, disaster workers and influx of contractors.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I would strongly suggest to inject money into the Hawaii economy as soon as possible...either by tourism or donation. The job pay rates for the entire state are already really low and most residents pay ridiculously high prices for all consumables already.

As far as visiting Maui, definitely avoid the Lahaina area...stay in Kahului or Kihei. East Maui wasn't affected as badly by the fires so touring that area would seem appropriate for any tourists visiting. If you do visit as a tourist, try to do a snorkeling tour over to Molokini. It is incredible.

Side note...I have tons of family on Kauai and just came back from there a few weeks ago. I can verify that each island's southwestern flank is a giant tinderbox that is just waiting for a disaster like what happened in Lahaina. Dead buffalo grass and other dry debris just builds up year after year and is waiting for the right conditions to become massive wildfires. The state and county (of each island) have done nothing for years. Hopefully this unfortunately wakeup call will get some resources focused on relieving this dangerous situation on each island.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes they will need to rebuild. I've done affordable housing projects in addition to disaster recovery so might see about getting in touch with a local group doing reconstruction and housing.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Thoughts on Maui:

1. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. It was by far our favorite island in Hawaii as well. Absolutely worth a trip.
    2. The local economy was already smashed by COVID and things were just starting to recover. This is also going to put a dent.
    3. Local survivors may not like the fact that tourists are coming back to the island, but all the businesses desperately need your tourist dollars. I think the prudent thing would be to plan a trip that uses hotels that are not impacted by the tragedy and do your best to spend with local businesses that need your money while keeping a respectful distance from the disaster area itself.
    4. Maui isn't very big, you're basically within 45 minutes to an hour of everything on the island, but that also means that there are parts of the island that have nothing to do with the disaster zone.
    5. I really feel bad for Lahaina. We went to their old school Old Lahaina Luau. They are closed indefinitely.

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My understanding is that the Hawaii state government is encouraging tourists to continue vacationing in the areas of Maui that were not hit by the wildfires. They badly need the tourism dollars.

AroundTheWorld and No Worries like this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My algorithm tells me the locals don't want anyone there.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maui is awesome.

I would go back now so long as i get my money's worth. Not to sound insensitive, but its pricey. I'm not going back "just" to give them an economic boost. That's basically saying give them money.

But if I can give them money while getting the same experience i would have previously, i see no reason to not go now.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't know enough about Maui but I know in previous tourist areas that had been hit by disaster such as Thailand prices dropped.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That would make sense... though my point would be more about what you get than what you pay for it...
    I see no reason why all the other areas of Maui wouldn't be operating business as usual... its how they make a living after all... but if for any reason things are closed or whatever, then I'd wait a little longer. I doubt that's the case though.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have been. Stayed at the Andaz. It was nice. We also did the drive on the road to Hana (and back, of course). Can recommend it.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Just heard there was another fire on Maui not to far from Lahaina.