1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mass Shooting at Santa Fe (TX) High School (2018)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 18, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz... not how it works.

That sounds like the whine a politician who wants no change as s/he looks desperately upon the flood of new voters heading his/her way.

You trying to convince D&Ders in petty debates pales in comparison to the solution other voters are seeking: And that solution is simple: Demand school shootings become a top item on the local, state and national agenda. Unless you are doing things to let politicians know this topic will affect your vote, then you are doing nothing wrt to this topic. (Which is fine, if that's your position....to do nothing.)

Voters need only to demand change....like we aren't supposed to come up with Tax solutions or Unemployment solutions. We just demand it.

malakas, Yung-T and BMoney like this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

yes all those politicians who support kids getting shot in school........:rolleyes:

nobody supports kids getting killed. some people want more security in schools some want more gun control. wtf do you care right? as long as its change? don't bother looking up data on which might work best.

you are supposed to do your homework , figure out which solution you think is best of the proposed solutions, and convince others of said solution. WTF do you think getting involved in politics means? demanding random stuff you have no idea will work because its different?

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

There is more to it than that. Some support making schools more secure themselves through security and greater police presences. There is a large pushback against this to prevent "schools becoming prisons". The The other crowd wants to ban rifles to prevent people from shooting schools with revolvers and shotguns. Again there is great pushback to this.

Generally demanding change isn't really doing much except make you look like one of the good ones. "but I told them to do good stuff" when the "change" you demanded have unintended consequences like lower graduation rates or higher school arrests of minorities.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's relevant that he was a supporter of the 2 most deadly ideologies of the 20th century, it shows that he is a highly unstable person that very likely has bad intentions towards others. As to talking points, whose talking points would that even be?

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

lel do wot? Talk about a hodge podge of a mess of an argument. You clearly have a misunderstanding between the difference between a Republic vs a Democracy. We elect officials though a representative Democracy, not a 'Republic'. Our Constitution (Republic) states we elect officials through representative democracy like most countries in the world, not direct democracy (Swizerland uses direct democracy)

We already have gun control. States are allowed to let voters decide through referendums. On that national level, its required to go though something called Congress (I suggest you Wiki this). Congress doesn't touch this because its constituents across the board feel we have sufficient 'gun control' already. Its the fringe or uneducated who want to either ban guns altogether (which is largely unpopular) or institute pointless gun control (like banning 'assault weapons'). Just FYI, the Santa Fe shooter did not use 'assault weapons'.

We even have people who think our problem is more about guns than the psychology of people who wish to inflict mass casualties.

6. heypartner

So, who's responsibility is it to propose solutions. You suggested it was the voters like the coach of the Astros, or in your corporate analogy, something like employee suggestion boxes. I said, that's not how it works.

I jumped in to say @tallanvor idea that voters have to propose solutions or shut up is asinine. That's a description of a D&D debate, not a description of diplomacy and politics. That's not how it works.

wrt you listing the two sides: Do you D&D guys really argue two sides of a topic, and come away telling the rest of us what those positions are....because y'all have objectively flushed out everything.

First, changing the political agendas to put this as a high priority appears to be one demand. Changing that attitude to believe we are bogged down in only two solutions (which feeds no change as an option) is another demand. A lot of diplomacy and political process (especially from the voter side) has nothing to do with proposing concrete solutions as a first step, much less actually being able to vote directly on them.

but you know all that. I'll forgive you your PoliSci 101 description of how change occurs.

lulz, yep, and most debates in DD are about stroking egos...which is why they are so boring to me.

If I didn't do a good job of describing voter frustration ... feel free to take a shot at it. But, why do I need to propose a solution?

Winter is coming for many politicians who won't make it one of their top agenda issues. That's a fact.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Nobodies responsibility. anyone should be able to propose solutions. Why would you need some sort of credentials to push policy?

if you are looking to politicians to come up with solutions when you are just as capable then that's a you problem. You and I have access to all the gun data they do. you could also look other proposed policies and decide which one would work, but the one thing you shouldn't say is 'i deamnd change'. wtf would that even mean?

Again i dont understand how you know who to vote for hp if you aren;t bothering to research issues and figure out which policies you think will work. if my platform was 'i gonna change stuff but i won't tell you how.' would u vote for me?

#188 tallanvor, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Jontro likes this.
  9. heypartner

"credentials"? I'm talking roles. Voters vs Elected Officials.

You have a cute, idealistic view of politics. I'll give you that.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is this still in the Hangout? Seems like an awful lot of D&D going on.

justtxyank likes this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Dad did not properly secure his firearms. Should be charged with negligence and stripped of his rights to own firearms as an irresponsible owner.

Douche bag shouldn't get his name and picture plastered over the media. He wants his story told and the attention. He's seeking infamy. There should be gag orders.

12. heypartner

^^ talking points

Move along, kiddo.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing he/she said.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

what group breh? srs

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

How about focusing on easy availability of guns and him being actively bullied? He even said he only shot students he disliked.

But instead, you're trying to make this about your political believes and spew **** about communism. In case you didn't know, Soviet countries had students learning how to handle guns and shooting lessons in school, but there were zero school shootings in the entire history of many countries.

Pathetic that this only happens in the USA on such a high scale and instead you try to act like communism lead him to this.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Re:Bobby:
    I can guarantee you that this is what happens if students get bullied for years and have easy access to guns, bullying is a real problem and I think everyone has witnessed it happening. The difference is that in other countries, students never have access to firearms and the worst they do is beating up their bullies.

Trying to make this about communism or other state ideologies is not helping future victims and only a way of deflection.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

School shootings won't be a top issue for politicians and they won't pay for it at all.

[​IMG]

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Hope he gets the needle #TexasJustice

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This. Why can't we all agree on strong laws re: securing your firearms?

20. VanityHalfBlack

So sad, this happen in my city man!!! Galveston, but still... It's home to me!!! R.I.P to the victims and my condolences to the family. J.J Watt is my favorite player of all time.