1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mass Shooting at Madden Tournament in Jacksonville

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zeeshan2, Aug 26, 2018.

1. theimpossibles1

Yawn... Let me know when society decides to do something, anything, to prevent this.

After 9/11 USA had a complete paradigm shift. Patriot act. War on Iraq. Defense spending out the wazoo. Etc. Etc. Etc.
    2,996 poor American souls lost their lives in those attacks.

9,533 have died from gun violence -- in 2018.
    What do we have to show for it? A whole bunch of thoughts and prayers.

I'm over it.

#21 theimpossibles1, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Thoughts and prayers because no one cares.

3. theimpossibles1

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

After Sandy Hook no one incident will wake this country up. If a bunch of kindergarteners can get massacred and the best we can come up with is metal detectors and arming teachers there’s no hope.

And then when kids that have lived through this actually have the audacity to say something they are called crisis actors and slandered all over the internet.

Sadly it will take an incident like this happening just about daily before meaningful change can take place.

Nippystix likes this.
  5. theimpossibles1

That might get people to go vote, which might get some responsible leaders in office, who may pass some effective legislation, which would take decades to have a substantial effect.

It's a bleak situation, and with the media sensationalizing these events above all else, it will probably only get worse.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not disagreeing with you, just asking, what suggestions do you have for solving the problem?

A lunatic can go just about anywhere and start shooting, stabbing, or whatever. Since most end up committing suicide, getting caught and/or punishment is irrelevant.

A person with nothing to lose is the most dangerous type.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I guess if we saw such a rampant problem in lots of other so-called advanced democracies, more of us would be willing to say "nothing you can do." But since it is uniquely American (other than countries that are, say, completely in civil war), a lot of us tend to think we could do something simple or several simple things to make the problem a little better. There are super-obvious policy differences between America and most other modern democracies, so these topics come up: everything from gun laws to institutional mental health policies to various cultural obsessions (like violent shooter games).

Houstunna and theimpossibles1 like this.
  8. GIGO

GIGO Member

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's doubtful other countries have musicians that promote violence as much as America does too.

Not sure where I stand on that topic because I'm mostly a fan. It's like, I know it CAN'T be a positive influence, but it's so jammin.

Yes, I probably have some maturity issues.

Isn't teenage pregnancy a bigger problem here vs other countries too ?

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'm a gun toting conservative, but violence such as this can't be blamed on the inner city or hip hop culture. This guy had recorded mental issues, and until we make mental health a priority in this country, this will continue to happen. Outlawing guns would not have stopped this kid, because he wasn't of age to have a handgun anyway... especially traveling across state lines.

We have to get past the how, and focus on the why. That is why this is a vicious cycle and we never get anywhere.

Houstunna likes this.
  11. GIGO

GIGO Member

was 24
    (just a correction, not arguing...)

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Thanks for the correction, I had read he was just 20. The rest of my discussion is in the D&D thread.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hmm...I seem to remember that Obama put in a rule to prevent the mentally ill from buying guns. Well, Trump and the Republicans removed that rule, saying it discriminates...LOL.