1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Luke Cage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Meh, I was into it going in but they just introduced Diamondback & he's kind of wack. Does it get any better?

Edit: is the spoiler button broken or something?

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Same with Dinofrio in the first season of DD though. They're the best 2 villains so far.

The way they treat these series as one big binge watch makes it more like sitting through an insane 13 hr movie. Hope the format tightens as more and more people catch on that the hour long filler episodes aren't that compelling to binge if you stop watching the last 15 minutes of the episode and watch the cut off part with the next.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"Action" scenes are crappy for my taste. It's a good storyline... and the characters are good, but... meh on the directing. :eek:

4. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

This was nowhere as good as DD and JJ. It was ok, would not watch twice. Hope they get back to being great with Iron Fist and The Defenders.

5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

This guy has more personality than Luke Cage

[​IMG]

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sweet Christmas!

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Liked it better than AoS, but my least favorite Marvel Series so far on Netflix.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kinda like that Biggie picture in Cornell's office.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Of course could be better but it aint bad in my books.

10. conquistador#11

I do agree that the fighting scenes were not the best. but how many brothers from harlem can fight with their fists? I can only think of 2, sho nuff and Leeroy. At least it's not like marco polo were the freaking priests can wu tang. Overall I thought It was good, not season two of Daredevil but what is.
    speaking of wu tang, Redman's cameo was dope homies. "P.l.O style was my joint."

Shades voice really got on my nerves

ubigred and DreamShook like this.
  11. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

You mean Method Man. That scene was one of my favorites in the show.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

sorry yeah I meant method man aka johnny blaze, transform like the ghost ryda'. =)

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

hrmmm

https://theringer.com/luke-cage-black-conservative-f5be622daf67#.l7nf4u5pm

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

1. cottonmouth was killed to soon. i dig the fact that he was small time and was basically a hustler. it made him a bit more street.

2. shades was an interesting character though they could have made him more interesting by giving him some sorta power involving him taking off his shades and looking into someone's eyes. i though the show was going in that direction when he said he had to look into cottonmouth's eyes to get the truth about the barbershop guy's murder. at least they didn't kill him off.

3. the show had the perfect opportunity to go all-in in m. night shyamalan fashion by making luke's close friend, the chess guy in the barbershop, the actual diamondback with a reveal in the last episode. i dunno. not really with superpowers but kind of the organizing everything that took place... like chess.

all that said, it was s solid series imo. was able to relate with the "shook ones and icecream playing in every car in the summer of '96".

ubigred likes this.
  15. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I'm a big fan of the DD and JJ series so maybe my expectations were too high but I was pretty disappointed with this show. Weak acting and weak characters, especially the villains.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Judging from the reaction here, people are split between this and JJ. I think JJ had issues I normally don't see on TV or comics, so that was interesting to me. Dr. Who playing a deluded mind rapist also made you forget the filler parts like that r****ded vigilante support group arc.

Luke Cage is a decent drama (there are better regular dramas with similar themes though), but for a Marvel drama...needed more comics?

1. They didn't develop coppermouth early on to build up him AND Luke
    2. Diamondback wasn't intimidating at all and his moves as crime lord lacked finese... I mean does that mean any two-bit Hammer groupie can mustle his way in the largest city in the US?
    3. Details into Luke's past was still a mystery halfway through even though you knew more than enough about him through JJ (took me a while to establish the sequence between it and the other series)
    4. What did Luke want to confess in order to get out of prison early...if he was protecting his brother, why and what was it about...doesn't all that warrant a better flashback? Where did Luke get his bar and what happened in between? Because he looked like he had it together when he had the bar banging random cougars only to end up washing dishes and mopping up people's hair. Wat?
    5. More backstory into Cottonmouth and his cousin than Luke Cage, the title character...
    6. I thought the arms dealer would be Wilson Fisk half way through, or at least bring him as sort of Marvel interest that builds up Cottermouth
    7. Don't know much about Shades in the comics, but he should've had some sort of special power.
    8. Netflix had done a great job tying the three's powers and origin together with the same corporation. It's too bad the prison didn't leverage that more esp. with that hard drive Dr. Who killed for was prominently in the storyline.

13 episodes that should've been 8, but could've had the potential to support and build up the other characters.... 6.5/10

#76 Invisible Fan, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  17. edwardc

edwardc Member

I liked JJ also but this was a very good series a lot different from the other two shows i gave it a 9 out of 10

ubigred likes this.
  18. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

This was a bad show, imo. I really liked JJ and Daredevil was fine but this was just far too boring.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I liked everything about this series except the plot, villains, black history soliloquies, and simulated barbershop fade physics. (Shameeks fade was concentrated irredeemable garbage! Nobody shaves a full beard with a Bic razor)

Dare Devil and Jessica Jones have better plots IMO, but I enjoyed Luke Cage a lot more (probably because of the abundance of culture). Without the culture of Luke Cage this series would have been disappointing. Plus, this show was too on the nose. We get it, Luke is a Hero....in a HOODY. We are getting an overwhelming amount of praise for this show (warranted IMO). I think some people are a little afraid to say how they really feel out of fear of being branded a racist Trump supporter.

The women in this show are AMAZING. Misty Knight, Claire, and the Inspector were my favorites. I really liked the Inspector.

Don't leave your girl around Luke Cage.

Shades looks cool but is a pointless character to me.

Cottonmouth's backstory was strange and didn't fit at all.

Squabbles and Bobby Fish were under utilized.

SMH @ Reva...

#79 DreamShook, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think I enjoyed it more than I normally would have due to the last comic book movie I watched.....Suicide Squad. I've seen some valid criticism of this show and thinking back on it, the show probably doesn't hold up if viewed under a microscope. When comparing it to DC's abomination of a cinematic universe though, it's awesome.