1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chloe Bennet is super hot

2. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Def cant wait for it but my god yall should see some of these pathetic and disguisting woke tweets.
    "Only black people can watch it, so white people SIT DOWN"
    "this is OUR movie" and stupidity like that.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think the whites have probably said some dumb stuff before too, but who's keeping score.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Fuaxtepery is part of the entertainment

Rocket River

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I desperately want all of these to be true. Opening quotes are notoriously positive however. I am going to wait it out, but I've been waiting for this movie basically my whole life. I'm probably going to see it in theatres twice regardless if I can find the time.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

looking forward to watching it with my black friends and high fives afterward.

seclusion likes this.
  7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

She sure is
    [​IMG]

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Black Sheep and Tommy Boy are basically the exact same movie, and yet that doesn't stop either from being awesome.

Rocket River likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Reeko, MadMax and Rocket River like this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This damn movie gonna make so much f***ing money . . . . .

Rocket River

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

All of these pre-opening comments and reviews are certainly interesting.

I'm someone who can be certainly be entertained by Marvel movies but would chuckle immensely if anyone described any of them as a "cultural phenomenon" and "iconic". And I know nothing about the Black Panther comic or character.

So to me, if Black Panther was the best Marvel movie to date, my review would be more like "amazingly entertaining" and "the best Marvel movie to date" ... not what we're seeing...

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Once upon a time . .. I guaranteed that if you made a movie .. . . Like LORD OF THE RINGS except
    you replace the entire cast with minorities (Black people in specific)
    It would not do as well as the regular Lord of the Rings

I maybe wrong

Because The Black Panther looks like *that* movie

(Not as all black as Lord of the Rings was all white but close enough )

Rocket River

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its the probably the 1st big budget black movie. I mean most of the main cast is black. The director is black. Its not like you see a big time movie helmed by black people. Usually its a Tyler perry movie or some other relativey low budged movie.

15. JayZ750

I get that.
    But that's an incredibly non apples to apples comparison to make.
    It wouldn't have done well because it was based on characters that weren't African American and would have looked dumb, lol.

But I certainly get the overall point.

But that's not really the feel I'm getting from these reviews. And even more, I think if that was the intended feel, it would in some ways be offensive. So it's basically a well done Marvel movie, but we're supposed to be amazed and call it iconic because it is predominantly/led by black characters?? I just don't feel like that's what they're saying.

Which is why I find it very interesting... like how good can this Marvel movie really be, lol?

16. JayZ750

Yeah, and again, I get it.

And to in no way say oh yeah this is common, but to point out at least it has been done before. Like Bad Boys 2 which grossed nearly $300 million in 2003 - but was a horrible movie, lol. Various Eddie Murphy movies. And some others.

Again, I'm DEFINITELY not trying to say "see I showed you an example!!" as if black/minorities haven't been underrepresented in the industry historically.

At this point, clearly, Black Panther is going to blow those box offices away also.

I'm just noting the reviews coming off this film have a feel to them that encompasses both (i) this is a great black movie, and (ii) this is an amazing amazing movie.

Rocket River likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I have watched all the Lord of the Rings movies but haven't read the books. Was it specifically stated or described that all of the Lord of the Rings characters where white? This is the problem with Sci/fi, in the absence of description, the default race is white.

Fans assumed Hermione in Harry Potter was white because there was no description of her race even though she had a pretty black experience being a muggle.

#157 DreamShook, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's hard to shake the feeling that this movie is being overhyped more for what it represents culturally than what it actually is.

I'm sure it will be good, Marvel's track record is impeccable, and I'm sure they want to get this one right more than most. But I keep seeing it hyped as best Marvel film ever, and in a league of it's own. For all the enjoyment I get out of Marvel movies, world class writing isn't what they are know for. Considering BP is basically flying solo with no other established characters to play off, this movie will have to succeed almost entirely on a strong story if it is to be truly great.

We shall see. I'm always hyped for a new Marvel movie and this one is no different.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Black people definitely over-hyping this movie, but the the reviewers still say it is a really good Marvel installment. I just hope it isn't like the Luke Cage hype. I was rooting for that show and liked it, but it wasn't nearly as good as those early reviews suggested.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is an Iconic film in that it is such a Spectacle
    They have had the best promotion I have seen in some times
    and
    it is speaking to my particular demographic
    but Everyone seems to be on the train

Rocket River